What's new

2023 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of The Prisoner

linty1

My wallet cries.
0A5F35E5-8117-4B13-AA03-A9FA9EF0C4DC.jpeg

Still in.

Switched out brushes to this Brad brush. A -touch- bulbier than I like, I prefer things on the fan side, but still very soft tips and lovely. Nice long handle thats easy to use/keep the fingers clean. I think I'll stick with this for a few rounds.

In regards to the Wolfman... I'll wait until January I guess. I kinda wanna hit the no exceptions thing for myself. *sigh*

View attachment 1623648

Still in.

Switched out brushes to this Brad brush. A -touch- bulbier than I like, I prefer things on the fan side, but still very soft tips and lovely. Nice long handle thats easy to use/keep the fingers clean. I think I'll stick with this for a few rounds.

In regards to the Wolfman... I'll wait until January I guess. I kinda wanna hit the no exceptions thing for myself. *sigh*
I think Wolfman will not be closing up shop any time soon, so you are safe! Awesome brush! How did you get that shipped to you here in Canada?

Date20.03.2023

RazorBladeBrush
Mühle R41Gillette Thin Blue
Simpson T3
Pre-shaveSoap & BowlPost-shave
Cold splashMike’s Barbershop
Proraso Green
Cold splash

Efficiency (scoring details here)Quality
8/10 (~20 minutes)8/10 (Couple of weepers)
EffectivenessComfort
8.5/10 (BBS-)
6.5/10 (harsher)

Notes to today’s shave:

Still in after a weekend of eyeing goodies on various auction sites.

Another pleasant Mühle Monday with a new to me blade supplied by @lasta last year.

Further details on today's shave can be found here.

Enjoy your shave today!

Jay,
I notice you use a horse hair brush. In general, how do they compare to a badger or synthetic?
Hi John,

I really enjoy my horsehair brush, I only have 1 but it is a great brush. They hold water better than a synth but aren't as luxurious as a high end badger. As far as natural hair goes, I think it is a nice middle ground between a boar and a badger. They aren't as stiff as a boar and mine didn't have the boar break in period. It has more scritch than a 2 band badger or better but they are pretty soft to my skin. If it matters to you, no horses are hurt in the making of the brush as the hair is collected during the grooming of the horse.

The horses don't get much love here, many complain that they shed a lot and the hair gets tangled. Mine didn't shed much and if you ran a comb through it I'm sure it would not tangle if you ran into that issue. Vie-Long seems to make most of the horsehair brushes but I think some of the Chinese brush makers offer one. Overall, my preference is boar, horse, synth then badger but you know how YMMV goes.

My annual exception arrived in the mail! It is a STAR 1902 HR-14. My shaving experience is posted in the TALC thread
I picked up my Star lather catcher on Friday and had it in shape by Sunday. I did a little searching and determine this is a 1902, Model HR – 14. The head etching matches model A, but I have reason to believe it is a model C, made for the French market. The plating on the top was still in good shape, so I just polished the rest of it with Liquid Silver. (Rather than stripping it all down to brass.) The two star blades that came with it were a little beat up, but still very sharp. I gave one a good stropping, and I actually used it on my last touch up pass. To shim up my GEM blade I made my own spacer/shim out of an AARP card.
My shave was a totally different experience. It helped a little to have used a Gem Junior 1912 and an Ever-Ready 24-14. The large head was a real trip, like shaving with a light bulb! I am used to a thinner and slicker lather, but it seemed like the right lather for this device would be thick and lofty like the Old Ever-Ready or Gem logos. My shave was passable; I’ve had worse shaves with more blood on a DE. I am sure there is a learning curve involved. Any advice or comments on any aspect of shaving with one of these would be much appreciated!
View attachment 1624348

View attachment 1624347View attachment 1624346
F409551B-6460-41AE-A690-5325C0212E1E.jpeg

Still in.

View attachment 1624390
The Karve?

Cheers!
You would make an excellent psychic my friend!

Yes, among other things (seen a very nice vintage handle on a local site too).

It’s more curiosity I guess, but this razor has been on my radar for quite some time. And I know these will be available in the future - at least I am not expecting Karve to discontinue the CB anytime soon. And seeing the exposures it appears to be very similar to the Green Cult - with more intermediate gaps and exposures.

I should have listed that one as my exception (lesson learned)!!

Cheers,

Guido

Last edited:
It’s more curiosity I guess, but this razor has been on my radar for quite some time. And I know these will be available in the future - at least I am not expecting Karve to discontinue the CB anytime soon. And seeing the exposures it appears to be very similar to the Green Cult - with more intermediate gaps and exposures.
If you would like to borrow mine send a PM. I have C,D,E, and G plates.

Tallow Tabac Tuesdays!

PXL_20230306_225423157a.jpeg

Gillette Old Type with Muhle Rasurkultur blade (21), Tallow Tabac and B&B Shavemac Beagle

Good Day Gents
The Old Type razor is excellent in it's simplicity and "perfect" design. For the second day the Muhle blade has been rough, especially on the first pass. I remember LJ, @LJBraaten saying words to the effect that all blades start showing wear after 10 shaves. Today was a fun and enjoyable challenge to minimize the limitations of the blade and focus on good technique to get good results without irritation. I got a DFS+ finish.

Still In GRUME, GRUYERE and 365 Shaves
Please take care of yourself and each other.

Top Bottom