What's new

2023 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of The Prisoner

I am loving it. I just hope the Pro blade will last for 28 days!...if not, I can send the blade to @LJBraaten for honing and stropping.😁
You joke, but if you go to the fabric store now and get some denim, you can make a home made strop and learn how to use it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it helped if you use it after every shave! If buying craft supplies isn’t allowed then I would attempt an escape. :devil:

You joke, but if you go to the fabric store now and get some denim, you can make a home made strop and learn how to use it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it helped if you use it after every shave! If buying craft supplies isn’t allowed then I would attempt an escape. :devil:
Ned,
I actually do a bit of corking, palm and towel stropping...BTW, I have some older blue jeans 😊 and any suggestion how to make a homemade single edge blade strop would be appreciated!

#21 Checking in - I've actually used up two of my partial splashes from last year so off to a good start. Down are a Pinaud Musk and Captain's Choice Bay rum, which after my replenishment of two splashes and some blades will really help diminish the stash next year.
Not taking part in the One Blade challenge this year as I'll be travelling but wishing all who do every success.

Tally:
After shave: 2.

Ned,
I actually do a bit of corking, palm and towel stropping...BTW, I have some older blue jeans 😊 and any suggestion how to make a homemade single edge blade strop would be appreciated!
I wish I was home so I could get you a picture, but the one I made is pretty janky.

I cut a 2.5-3 inch strip about 3 feet long. Since I don’t have the hardware to hang it correctly, I put a 6 inch cut so I have two ends that I can tie together. Come to think about it, you might want to start with more than three feet if possible. You will need to grip the other end when stropping by laying it over your index finger and pinching it with your thumb facing down. You will have to learn how much tension and how to make the strokes, but the consequences of messing up are relatively minor compared to a leather strop.

Because the blade is stainless and shouldn’t be prone to oxidation, I think the most benefit would be from stropping after using as it cleans the blade. I have done this even after getting a leather strop so I don’t get contaminants in it. I now have a linen fire hose strop for this purpose.

You will have to learn how much tension and how to make the strokes, but the consequences of messing up are relatively minor compared to a leather strop.

I think the most benefit would be from stropping after using as it cleans the blade. I have done this even after getting a leather strop so I don’t get contaminants in it.
Ned
Thanks for the idea. Since I am wearing jeans now, I put the blade in the DX razor and tried a few practice strokes on my pants.

I found an article HERE that discusses denim stropping. The biggest take away for me was to "strop" at the same angle you shave. I enjoy using the DX at a shallow angle (more shallow than with a DE) and tried to keep that same angle on my pants.

The one referred to as #33 (John)
...do they sell jeans at the village store?

Ned
Thanks for the idea. Since I am wearing jeans now, I put the blade in the DX razor and tried a few practice strokes on my pants.

I found an article HERE that discusses denim stropping. The biggest take away for me was to "strop" at the same angle you shave. I enjoy using the DX at a shallow angle (more shallow than with a DE) and tried to keep that same angle on my pants.

The one referred to as #33 (John)
...do they sell jeans at the village store?
I wish I was home so I could access some links, but I remember threads like this

Somewhere, somebody posted an excellent point of view video that clearly shows the tension, stroke and angle.

Lord platinum (4)
Razorock Bruce
Travel lather bowl
MdC lemon
Henson version 1 medium
Captain's choice -venture
20230201_214055.jpg

I didn't sign up for the restraint this year, but so far I'm still in and remain a prisoner of my own design. I'm not really restraining, I just haven't bought anything yet. Keep up the good fight those of you who are still in this year!
Hi,

You made it thru last year. You made it thru the first month this year. You can make it thru the rest of this year easy.

Since you did make it thru 22, if you decide you should have joined this year, I'll add you to the list. I pretty much did in my mind just now anyway.

No matter what, though, keep on being with us.

Be Seeing You!

Stan

STILL IN GRUME, GRUYERE, SWS, 365 Shaves, Fruity February and OBIF...whew!

Feather DX
Feather Artist Club Pro (2)
CF Lime
Semogue 830

Hey Guys
The 830 brush is excellent and I realized it didn't "hog" the lather today.
Straight razor shaving is a great new adventure! BBS territory with no irritation.
🍻 to great shaves.

PXL_20230202_145802143.jpg

Please take care of yourself & each other.

2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
February 2023 GRUME #37 - First shave of February

Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: Personna Med Prep (4)
Brush: Vielong Black Horse Hair
Pre-shave: Hot shower using Dr. Bronners Almond on face and head with facial scrubber
Lather: Arko Stick - Face lather
Passes: 2 - 1st pass #4 - 2nd pass #2
Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Original Old Spice
6 - Balm: LEA 3in1

#12 still in. I received my exception last week....the venerable Lambda Athena. What a great razor. Had to travel for work earlier this week so I've only been able to shave a couple of times with it so far. I absolutely love it and know it will only get better the more I use it and get to know it. This may be what razor perfection looks like.

C9A6EFE8-5933-4862-850C-410A5D8BC5BC_1_201_a.jpeg

3DFA1D7C-12CE-489C-BE9F-75D3F83D7E4C_1_201_a.jpeg

linty1

My wallet cries.
I wish I was home so I could access some links, but I remember threads like this

Somewhere, somebody posted an excellent point of view video that clearly shows the tension, stroke and angle.

Gunna send a Bat signal out to the one and only @rbscebu for his input, I'm sure he can help.

I have use a little rubber pad for my carts but thats pretty much all the stropping I personally do.

Top Bottom