What's new

2023 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - The Year of The Prisoner

Yeah, I might be able to. Like I say, I'm going to shave it down and smooth it out and see. Just planning ahead and also checking the 'official' stance because I really want to succeed in this challenge. I am new to DE shaving only since September of 2022. Right out of gate I accumulated in just 3 months 6 handles, a dozen or so soaps/creams, 5 different brushes, over 25 aftershaves/splashes, etc. So I saw this thread and the monthly one and said to myself "I need that" (restraint that is)... LOL

You shouldn’t have to shave it, just wet and smooth it. I don’t know anyone who hasn’t dropped one at some point.

You could also get ya one of these eventually. It’s at least 7 yrs old, doesn’t see my face often, but gets swung around my armpits on occasion. Never dropped because of the case. Wet it and rub it, push it back down and cap it. Pretty simple and the same thing, just bigger.

E82E6E0E-DBDF-4090-9FD3-1F15B990F079.jpeg

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Yeah, I might be able to. Like I say, I'm going to shave it down and smooth it out and see. Just planning ahead and also checking the 'official' stance because I really want to succeed in this challenge. I am new to DE shaving only since September of 2022. Right out of gate I accumulated in just 3 months 6 handles, a dozen or so soaps/creams, 5 different brushes, over 25 aftershaves/splashes, etc. So I saw this thread and the monthly one and said to myself "I need that" (restraint that is)... LOL
If you run out midway through the year you can of course restock! Knowing alum I think that that will last you a good long while.

2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
January 2023 GRUME #18 - Still in

Date: 01.27.23
Days growth: 3

Head shaver

Razor: Gillette Tech Razor
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Brush: Ever Ready R40 Pure Badger

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Nablus soap block that I also used on my body applied with a facial scrub brush.

Lather: Face lather with Nablus soap block

Passes: 3

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Grey Flannel EDT
6 - Balm: N/A

PROBLEM!!! - My alum block developed a hole (I learned it was a low quality pressed block which I knew nothing about). Today it slipped out of my hand and shattered. This large piece is left and I will smooth it down and try to use it. My question is, would Rule #11 apply here?

View attachment 1595509

11. If a shaving item breaks in the restraint and you have no backup handy, one replacement may be purchased as an exception (example if the knot
comes out of your brush when traveling, a cheap brush or superglue to fix broken brush is deemed acceptable in the 2021 restraint). Forgetting
to pack your gear does not count, that will put you out.
Quit using my alum block a few days ago because I wanted to make it last a year because I saw it starting to erode even when making sure I dried it. I really don't miss it that much. For cuts you can granulated alum that is used for pickling. Just wet a finger dop it in the alum and press on cut.

Hi,

For cuts and nicks, I use a styptic pencil. The one in this shot (on the right side on that rack next to my Dad's old Tech and brush) is about 30 years old. It is glued (literally) in to that white cap which is used as a handle so wet fingers don't eat the stick when in use. Then it goes into the plastic cover which has a vent hole in it to let it dry while stored.

If the alum block is like this pencil, it'll last a long while. But if the busted block turns out to be unusable, or just runs out early because of what is now lost, you can buy a new one under the Busted My Only One rule.

Stan

From the man labelled #33
PXL_20230128_145737575.jpg

GRUME, GRUYERE & 365 Shaves...Still In!
Today is also SV Saturday.

Hey Guys
Wednesday, February 1st, I plan to re-start my association with the Shave of the Week Society, Fruity February and the one blade for the month group. My primary objective is to gain experience with the Feather DX straight razor. My biggest concern is whether the Artist Club blade will hold up for 28 days.

It is interesting that a month ago I described myself as a "mild" razor guy. Since then I have used open comb, slant, shavette and now a straight razor-that uses disposable blades. What a difference in one month.

I hope everyone has a good weekend and as always...Please take care of yourself and each other.

2023 GRUYERE #49 - Still in
January 2023 GRUME #18 - Still in

Date: 01.27.23
Days growth: 3

Head shaver

Razor: Gillette Tech Razor
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (3)
Brush: Ever Ready R40 Pure Badger

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Nablus soap block that I also used on my body applied with a facial scrub brush.

Lather: Face lather with Nablus soap block

Passes: 3

Post Shave Routine and products:
1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2
2 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
3 - Alum block
4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1
5 - Aftershave - Grey Flannel EDT
6 - Balm: N/A

PROBLEM!!! - My alum block developed a hole (I learned it was a low quality pressed block which I knew nothing about). Today it slipped out of my hand and shattered. This large piece is left and I will smooth it down and try to use it. My question is, would Rule #11 apply here?

View attachment 1595509

11. If a shaving item breaks in the restraint and you have no backup handy, one replacement may be purchased as an exception (example if the knot
comes out of your brush when traveling, a cheap brush or superglue to fix broken brush is deemed acceptable in the 2021 restraint). Forgetting
to pack your gear does not count, that will put you out.
Sorry to hear about that unfortunate soap batch and the breakage. Some shaving soaps will melt if heated. Not sure about this brand, but if it will melt it can be reformed (pun intended) in a cup.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Shame this is out of stock. I could keep it in the den as a reminder of what can happen to those that stray...

Shame this is out of stock. I could keep it in the den as a reminder of what can happen to those that stray...

The Prisoner Shop? Sounds like the perfect place to get shaving gear and still be in!! 😂

Guido

Uh, wouldn’t a “Rover Replica Model” simply be a white ballon? Asking for a friend. 😇

Be seeing you!

Simple Smooth, Soothing Satisfying Synthetic Sunday Shave

PXL_20230129_135136674.jpg

E. Jagger 89
Muhle Rasurkultur
RR Big Bruce
D.R. Harris Lavender

Still In GRUME, GRUYERE & 365 Shaves
Today: Synthetic Sundays!!!
Feb. 1st: Start OBIF, SWS and Fruity February

Hey Guys
I wanted a simple easy peasy no fuss shave today. I got it and a DFS+ finish.

Please take care of yourself and each other.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
👆Sigh... apparently round balloons are a thing. What can I say? I'm old and had no idea such technology existed. I'll take the mockery with a stiff upper lip. So, yes, @LJBraaten , let your friend know a 🎈 will suffice.

On another note, Still In!!!

Today

AOS Peppermint Cream
Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo
British Aluminum Tech w/Feather
Lucky Tiger Tonic
Lucky Tiger Aspen

Be seeing you.

Last edited:
I don’t know anyone who hasn’t dropped one at some point.
I’ve never dropped my alum block! Had to get the wife to do it for me.

I did manage to smooth the jagged bits, and it is still working for us. It’s mostly the communal deodorant stick, but does serve for shaving on the rare occasion when I feel the need.

Still decidedly in. At last I worked my way to the end of a puck of old formula Cade (current formula when I got it). In its last months it was working with the last bits of a puck of Haslinger Schafmilch, so that now is gone too. I do have an ample stash of old formula Schafmilch for when I want to return to that excellent soap.

For something new, today I tried Haslinger Sensitiv, new formula. Really great stuff, no parfum added, and a faint but pleasant scent from its ingredients.

I watched the episode where my number appears. Seems right that I am a member of the social committee here in the village. Perhaps we on the social committee aren’t very nice, or even that sociable, but we are... committed.

Be seeing you.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Still in.

Done with the Connaught Jade. It is def much softer than when I started using it 2 months ago, but a change was needed and in comes… the small (19mm) Muhle stf. I’ll use this until I run out of this shave gel. The gsb blade is still going strong. May have to change in the next shave or two though, can kinda feel it. Glad to be able to shave again.

6222746E-72C1-435C-B62A-93DC2C854643.jpeg

Attachments

• BF90E8B5-7FDC-4ACA-A15F-C59D4B0A0461.jpeg
    BF90E8B5-7FDC-4ACA-A15F-C59D4B0A0461.jpeg
    968.4 KB · Views: 0
Top Bottom