Votes: 2 7.7%
  • $500 plus

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I'm starting to contact carvers about the 2023 LE pipe and am wondering what everyone here is willing to spend on a pipe. With the economy the way it is, free money to spend on a pipe is drying up for a lot of us. Keep in mind that we are getting really a good deal regardless of who we choose. For example, one carver I talked to usually starts prices in the $600 range but would be willing to do a LE for us at $450 with choice of stem color from 3-4 offered. The ultimate goal is to get a great pipe at a price point that as many people as possible can afford. Realistically getting an artisan carver to do a LE pipe for under $200 is probably going to be hard to impossible to do unless we go with a lesser known carver.

I'm up for whatever, but I think keeping it within striking distance of $300 allows for a well-engineered, "no frills" pipe from an established carver. Maybe not the guys that start at 600, but...

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
If anyone has suggestions on a carver let me know.

Partially depends on what shapre you want. Some do better shapes than others. But you can talk with the carvers on which ones they think shine the best from their collections.

As to cost, if they take half upfront and half later it isnt quite as much stixker shock for me. I like $250 ish. I know material cost has gone up for sanding pads, belts, etc.

I'm in that $200-300 range. I still have younger kids at home and $300 is about pushing what I can afford to spend on a pipe. I know it's going to be an incredible deal, but really anything beyond $325 is a half price Rolls-Royce. A great deal but still too much.

If anyone has suggestions on a carver let me know.

I'm trying very very hard not to suggest Missouri Meerschaum. 🤣

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Would y’all prefer 2 payments, one on order and another on completion, or one payment upon order? If the payment was broken into two parts would that change the total you would be willing to spend?

Would y’all prefer 2 payments, one on order and another on completion, or one payment upon order? If the payment was broken into two parts would that change the total you would be willing to spend?
I am probably an outlier, but I would prefer to pay up front. I don't like "owing". I'd imagine having the option might increase a lot of guys' comfort level, though.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I think the payment thing would be a good setup and perhaps make thing a bit more attainable. I remember one year we could put a deposit or pay outright.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I voted $200-300. Having just retired, my allocation of discretionary funds is under tighter scrutiny. I would also vote for something along more traditional lines. Something high quality but less "one of a kind" unique, should reduce cost but remain premium quality.

I voted $200-300. Having just retired, my allocation of discretionary funds is under tighter scrutiny. I would also vote for something along more traditional lines. Something high quality but less "one of a kind" unique, should reduce cost but remain premium quality.
I think "one of a kind" is actually a good thing. Doesn't have to be crazy different, but a stem accent or something unique that sets it apart. I think it somewhat detracts from the "limited edition" if the stamp is the only thing that distinguishes it from the maker's other work.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I think "one of a kind" is actually a good thing. Doesn't have to be crazy different, but a stem accent or something unique that sets it apart. I think it somewhat detracts from the "limited edition" if the stamp is the only thing that distinguishes it from the maker's other work.
I concede your point, something unique is fine, perhaps a style not usually done by the artist in question? I'm hoping that some year we might see a Zulu. I think I've had my fill of stubby pipes, no matter how well they are made, and they all have been fine smokers.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I concede your point, something unique is fine, perhaps a style not usually done by the artist in question?

My only thought on that is why? You pick a maker that is known for one thing and ask him to do something completely different? I would argue to find a maker that specializes in what is required.

Top Bottom