What's new

GIVEAWAY! 2022 Three Pipe PIF

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I have three pipes I'd like to offer up as a PIF. I'll randomly select three winners, with 1st winner getting his choice of the three. Second winner will get his choice of the remaining two, and the third winner will get the third pipe.
Just say I'm in, and I will draw winners on the 4th of January.

20211230_154252.jpg
20211230_154331.jpg

20211230_154736.jpg

A pre-1965 Kiko #35 Elephant logo Meerschaum lined pipe with a spigot fishtail stem. I know it's pre-1965 because it says "Made in Tanganyika" and Tanganyika combined with Zanzibar in 1964 to form modern day Tanzania.
From Pipedia: Kiko, meaning "pipe" in Swahili-Kiswahili to English translation, is probably the best known of the various brands listed.
In East Africa Meerschaum is found in Tanganyika, once known as German East Africa, and since 1964 part of the United Republic of Tanzania. The main deposit comes from the Amboseli basin surrounding the Lake Amboseli. Tanganyika Meerschaum is normally stained in shades of brown, black and yellow.
It is 6 inches long, 1 3/8 inches tall, bowl inside diameter 11/16 inch, bowl depth 1 1/8 inch.

An unstamped, unmarked small 8 panel Tomato with a horn stem. Despite its small size, it is quite appealing with a very nice grain pattern. It is 5 1/4 inches long, 1 inch tall, bowl inside diameter 5/8 inch, bowl depth 7/8 inch.

An old Wellington with nickel plated band and stem with a mouthpiece similar to the P lip style. Wellington was a division of the William Demuth Company formed in 1862 Stamped on the side is "Made In" and nothing. No stamp that wore away, just nothing.
Wrapping around the front of the bowl is carved 1917-AES-1919 with a YD, an Indian Chief head, and some land mass.
Turns out that's the old insignia for the 101st Field Artillery Regiment of the Army 26th Division, affectionetly known as the "Yankee Division" or YD, the group of American Expeditionary Forces that fought in WW 1 led by General Pershing.
I have no idea how old it actually is, but I can't see someone of the modern age having that carved into the pipe. It meant something to someone, so it was at latest during the lifetime of a World War 1 vet.
It is 5 1/4 inches long, 1 3/4 inches tall, bowl inside diameter 3/4 inch, bowl depth 1 1/2 inch.

Pictures of the carving and affiliation to World War 1
20211230_154605.jpg
20211230_154553.jpg
20211230_154547.jpg

72-488B_1.png
26thhelmetchart.jpg

Last edited:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Not in, Phil. I decided sometime ago I'll wait til the kids are grown to pick up any new habits. Beautiful pipes, my friend.

Oh man, I was recently the recipient of a generous pif, but as a WW1 and a history buff I can't pass up an opportunity at that carved pipe. If I win I have a meerschaum churchwarden I will gladly pif in return.

With that said, I am in please!

Oh man, I was recently the recipient of a generous pif, but as a WW1 and a history buff I can't pass up an opportunity at that carved pipe. If I win I have a meerschaum churchwarden I will gladly pif in return.

With that said, I am in please!
Wait until tomorrow to be in. That way you can honestly say you won a PIF but it was last year!

Last edited:
To anyone interested, the land mass in the insignia is actually the Boston/Cape cod area. They landed in France in September 1917 and fought in some pretty famous battles such as the St Mihiel offensive and the Meuse-Argonne offensive

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
To anyone interested, the land mass in the insignia is actually the Boston/Cape cod area. They landed in France in September 1917 and fought in some pretty famous battles such as the St Mihiel offensive and the Meuse-Argonne offensive
Most of the 101st FA were from Mass.

Top Bottom