What's new

2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek Season 2

I am out by virtue of purchase of a Shick Krona from an antique vendor who found it in a piece they had taken in. I told her I would give her $10 right there and she was happy to get it. It is a razor that I have heard good things about but have never tried. Good luck to all who have persevered.
Hi,

Ya know, next year (if I run this once more) I think maybe a Thrift Store / Antique Shop / Yard & Estate Sale exemption for, say, maybe $10 per occurrence. Seems as if such a purchase ought to not put one out. I immediately think of saving something from oblivion when this happens. And. in the usual scheme of ADs, $10 is chump change!

Stan

Still In:

#1 KQY61 - Exception: Pack of Med Preps
#2 CzechCzar - exception - Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream with Hyaluronic Acid for Extra-Dry Skin

#4 elmo_koffman - Exception: blades
#5 sjblon - Exception: Vintage razor
#6 Jim99 - exception: puck of Christmas soap
#7 ADudeandHisDogs: no exception
#8 02FLHTCI: Blackland Era
#9 EB Newfarm no exception
#10 Sotiris_A: a badger brush
#11 T.Orso: Lucky Tiger AS

#13 Jamesearthdrum: Cella soap
#14 Noodles: no exception

#16 Crisp Rat: Super Adjustable
#17 Pepin - Exception: vintage razor

#19 Doorcube - Exception: Soap
#20 JeffJ - no exception

#23 Benoni - Exception: Henson ti22

#26 ShavingPanda - no exception

#28 Balin - exception Wolfman Razor
#29 Southern_S - Exception: Proraso White Preshave
#30 Wil_D no exceptions

#32 Smooth and Sharp - a razor

#36 kjbarth - no exception at this time
#37 mattps1 - no exception

#39 Invicta - no exception

#41 AZBronco - exception Feather FHS10 blades

#43 Ruva - no exception
#44 Heron - exception one aftershave
#45 Whisky - no exception

#50 B_R_A_D - Razor
#51 MuhleShaver - no exception
#52 Esetter
#53 md1234 - no exception

Lost In Space:

#35 wmadoty - no exceptions again - Lost 2/12/22 for four thrift store razors for $20
#21 snowman - no exceptions - Lost 2/14/22 for 5 ea HBC Williams Mug Shave Soap for $4.95
#38 gdawg55 - exception: Lucky Tiger AS Tonic - Lost 2/19/22 Charcoal Goods level 3 razor, 250 pack of Wizamet blades, 100 Bolzano blades, RR soap and aftershave
#48 JWCowboy - no exceptions other than Sue Moore Auction/BB Group Buys - Lost 2/22/22 (Two'sDay!) for A Varlet Brush and a Wolfman Razor
#27 GaryTha no exception - Lost 2/22/22 (Ya didn't have to make it Two for Two'sDay!) for 24 sticks of Arko
#49 deafficianado - Blackland Era - Lost 3/4/22 for custom razor handle and the Maggard 15mm razor stands
#40 JAHE - exception: a razor - Lost 3/23/22 for a Slant with a Stand
#31 pdillon - exception: no exceptions - Lost 3/24/22 for a couple of razors
#15 Cafebarian: no exception - Lost 3/25/22 for Homelike Start in Matte
#25 Lee93 - Exception: Tallow Tabac - Lost 4/9/22 for Pre De Provence 63 and Maison du Savon de Marseille Rebel
#22 Chesty - no exception - Lost 5/2/22 for a Schick Krona

Lost at the first quarter check-in 4/15/22

#3 CJB3 - Exception: grail brush
#12 Angus MacAngus: 1969 Super Speed
#18 Hellboy - no exception
#24 tsimmns - no exception
#33 Thomas Darkblade - no exceptions
#34 byDoms - no exceptions
#42 4and20blackbirds - no exceptions
#46 Barbarossa - A single puck of shaving soap.
#47 JoWolf - no exception
#54 Avi - no exception

I knocked off a bottle of AV musk aftershave yesterday. I’m expecting that I’ll finish off another two bottles by the end of this year, thus further reducing my inventory. I do like AV musk, so I’m glad I have another bottle in my inventory. I’ll break open that bottle when the cooler weather is upon us.

Decent shave with the Feather AC shavette this morning - still in, nothing to report. Space is kind of boring when there's nothing going on. Afterall it's just lots of empty...space. Redshirts are happy that we're not currently near any planets or stations.

Hi,

Ya know, next year (if I run this once more) I think maybe a Thrift Store / Antique Shop / Yard & Estate Sale exemption for, say, maybe $10 per occurrence. Seems as if such a purchase ought to not put one out. I immediately think of saving something from oblivion when this happens. And. in the usual scheme of ADs, $10 is chump change!

Stan
I think that is an idea to keep on the front burner. My logic got to be, I can buy this for $10 today or wait until January and pay $30 for the same thing. This is a razor that I have considered many times and just never had the right situation to execute. As you say, $10 is chump change and well within my means. Just a thought. I do appreciate the effort that you put into running the restraint. I am sure it's not easy at times.

My logic got to be, I can buy this for $10 today or wait until January and pay $30 for the same thing. This is a razor that I have considered many times and just never had the right situation to execute.
It begs the question, why did you not have vintage razor as your exception? Then you did not have to wait to the restock period if an opportunity arose and you would still be in the sabbatical.
This also raises a second question, if you have declared an exception and a vintage razor was an undeclared automatic exception, that is two exceptions allowed. It seems to me that this is contrary to the sabbatical ethos.

Hi,

Well, we have several Auto Exemptions as it is. So, more than than the one you declare can be exercised.

For example, I will be exercising my exception for blades. In this case, a 100 pack of Personna Med Preps, just as soon as I am down to one left. I would wait until I loaded the last one, but there may be supply issues. I needed to do it this way, rather than during restock when I bought nothing, because I am also in the Leap Year and Decade Long restraints. And those rules are buy when you run out.

Now, where I get to buy more than the my exception has already happened. I bought the 2022 Contributor's Brush. That's a B&B thing for us contributors. And, being an official B&B Group Buy, it's a Auto Exception.

So, we already have more exceptions around than just the one we pick for ourselves. This is an idea towards adding one more to the list.

As far as our ethos go, we are trying to curb the ADs where we go Nuts buying everything we hear about. It's an easy thing to get into. Not so easy to get out of. The main idea is to force ourselves to think about what we want to buy. So, not buying things in the thrift store is a good idea.

On the other hand, there are Yard and Estate sales. Here we see things that might well be tossed into the trash if we don't buy it right here, right now. And this is were my thinking takes me so far. Maybe make this sort of thing a Auto Exception if the price tag isn't too high.

But, exactly how to go about making such a part of the rules is less clear to me. So, it is a decent concept for us to chat about as we sit online not looking at shaving stuff to buy. ;)

Stan

Still in. Last 2 shaves.
F1EDCD56-3A48-472A-B776-752C8F8A38EB.jpeg
D9E6C44E-1C6F-4678-8421-8289E5D72827.jpeg

I am out. I donned my red shirt for today's away mission and did not survive - Day 133 Friday May 13th.

I may have treewhaled a little bit doomsday prepping for the Tallow Tabacalypse. When my gear arrives I will post pics.

@KQY61 and @Invicta thanks for the encouragement and talking me off the ledge a few times!

Also thanks to all my crew members for making my first tour so enjoyable!! Stay strong!!

I have no plans for any other purchases the rest of the year, so I hope to make it 364 days out of 365 and will be participating in the monthly GRUMEs. Well I may get a Christmas brush but that is months away!!

I think I might make 2023 the year of Tabac!

I am out. I donned my red shirt for today's away mission and did not survive - Day 133 Friday May 13th.

I may have treewhaled a little bit doomsday prepping for the Tallow Tabacalypse. When my gear arrives I will post pics.

@KQY61 and @Invicta thanks for the encouragement and talking me off the ledge a few times!

Also thanks to all my crew members for making my first tour so enjoyable!! Stay strong!!

I have no plans for any other purchases the rest of the year, so I hope to make it 364 days out of 365 and will be participating in the monthly GRUMEs. Well I may get a Christmas brush but that is months away!!

Friday the 13th......

Well, gents, I'm taking one for the team. I'm headed out of town for a week and normally pack a Gillette Fusion with a travel sized can of Barbasol. While I was packing, I realized I don't have any travel sized products, so I opted to pack my Norelco instead of going out on a $1 item. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a Norelco--I just don't know the last time I actually used it. I'm guessing it's going on 10 years old, so I was shocked when I pulled it out of the case and it still had a charge! So I plugged it in to charge it the rest of the way and I'll use it all week next week. Wish me luck!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

obligatory porkins
Sacrifice.jpg

Avenge The Fallen.gif

Weapon of Choice.jpg

Hi,

I could not resist that quote so I used it in the official Out list.

Please continue with the Home Game.

And that goes for all who Go Out.

Stan

Still In:

#1 KQY61 - Exception: Pack of Med Preps
#2 CzechCzar - exception - Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream with Hyaluronic Acid for Extra-Dry Skin

#4 elmo_koffman - Exception: blades
#5 sjblon - Exception: Vintage razor
#6 Jim99 - exception: puck of Christmas soap
#7 ADudeandHisDogs: no exception
#8 02FLHTCI: Blackland Era
#9 EB Newfarm no exception
#10 Sotiris_A: a badger brush
#11 T.Orso: Lucky Tiger AS

#13 Jamesearthdrum: Cella soap
#14 Noodles: no exception

#16 Crisp Rat: Super Adjustable
#17 Pepin - Exception: vintage razor

#19 Doorcube - Exception: Soap
#20 JeffJ - no exception

#23 Benoni - Exception: Henson ti22

#26 ShavingPanda - no exception

#29 Southern_S - Exception: Proraso White Preshave
#30 Wil_D no exceptions

#32 Smooth and Sharp - a razor

#36 kjbarth - no exception at this time
#37 mattps1 - no exception

#39 Invicta - no exception

#41 AZBronco - exception Feather FHS10 blades

#43 Ruva - no exception
#44 Heron - exception one aftershave
#45 Whisky - no exception

#50 B_R_A_D - Razor
#51 MuhleShaver - no exception
#52 Esetter
#53 md1234 - no exception

Lost In Space:

#35 wmadoty - no exceptions again - Lost 2/12/22 for four thrift store razors for $20
#21 snowman - no exceptions - Lost 2/14/22 for 5 ea HBC Williams Mug Shave Soap for $4.95
#38 gdawg55 - exception: Lucky Tiger AS Tonic - Lost 2/19/22 Charcoal Goods level 3 razor, 250 pack of Wizamet blades, 100 Bolzano blades, RR soap and aftershave
#48 JWCowboy - no exceptions other than Sue Moore Auction/BB Group Buys - Lost 2/22/22 (Two'sDay!) for A Varlet Brush and a Wolfman Razor
#27 GaryTha no exception - Lost 2/22/22 (Ya didn't have to make it Two for Two'sDay!) for 24 sticks of Arko
#49 deafficianado - Blackland Era - Lost 3/4/22 for custom razor handle and the Maggard 15mm razor stands
#40 JAHE - exception: a razor - Lost 3/23/22 for a Slant with a Stand
#31 pdillon - exception: no exceptions - Lost 3/24/22 for a couple of razors
#15 Cafebarian: no exception - Lost 3/25/22 for Homelike Start in Matte
#25 Lee93 - Exception: Tallow Tabac - Lost 4/9/22 for Pre De Provence 63 and Maison du Savon de Marseille Rebel
#22 Chesty - no exception - Lost 5/2/22 for a Schick Krona
#28 Balin - exception Wolfman Razor - Lost 5/13/22 for "treewhaled a little bit doomsday prepping for the Tallow Tabacalypse"

Lost at the first quarter check-in 4/15/22

#3 CJB3 - Exception: grail brush
#12 Angus MacAngus: 1969 Super Speed
#18 Hellboy - no exception
#24 tsimmns - no exception
#33 Thomas Darkblade - no exceptions
#34 byDoms - no exceptions
#42 4and20blackbirds - no exceptions
#46 Barbarossa - A single puck of shaving soap.
#47 JoWolf - no exception
#54 Avi - no exception

Well, gents, I'm taking one for the team. I'm headed out of town for a week and normally pack a Gillette Fusion with a travel sized can of Barbasol. While I was packing, I realized I don't have any travel sized products, so I opted to pack my Norelco instead of going out on a $1 item. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a Norelco--I just don't know the last time I actually used it. I'm guessing it's going on 10 years old, so I was shocked when I pulled it out of the case and it still had a charge! So I plugged it in to charge it the rest of the way and I'll use it all week next week. Wish me luck!
Hi,

I hope that battery is still good enough in actual use. If it isn't, you will have to compensate by a quick purchase. I think that would qualify under the 'you can replace a thing if it breaks and you have no replacement on hand' clause. I mean, a dead battery in an electric razor equals broken to this electrical engineer. ;)

I won't hold that rule to buying another electric razor, though. Nope. That just wouldn't be right in my mind! :p

Stan

Top Bottom