What's new

2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek Season 2

Hi,

Used to be only one week for restock. The idea is to take the sabbatical time to really consider what it is you want to buy. So, then not much time needed to act on the choices. It was lengthened to two weeks because the period happens while some may still be on vacation and unable to get it done during the first week.

I'm thinking 'software' for you here rather than 'hardware'. I'm now thinking of a change where we could have a longer trial time for software. Let's float that balloon and see how it flies. Meaning, what do others think about that?

Stan

I’m good with keeping the restock period to two weeks. As we refer to it as a restock, a longer timeframe could be instead be used to shop around and satisfy ADs. Also, the sabbatical will then be reduced to 11 months. We’re in the sabbatical because we have too much stuff and we’re looking to reduce our stock. We already know what works for us and what doesn’t, so extending the restock period just feeds the ADs. I could be way off base on this, so just take it as my two cents.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
In that case, I likely won't be able to do the sabbatical next year. Two weeks is just not enough of a restock window for me.

:bored::em18::o15::frown:

Still in. This mornings shave.
1C591C1A-22CF-4F77-9184-00DE1F7924A4_1_201_a.jpeg

In that case, I likely won't be able to do the sabbatical next year. Two weeks is just not enough of a restock window for me.
Two weeks is plenty for a restock to get you through the year. That would be something like a pack of blades or a couple of soaps if your supplies are low. Most people in the annual sabbatical have too many products and need to use them up.
It seems your situation is best catered for in the monthly Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End where you can miss a few months whilst you check out products and evaluate them.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Two weeks is plenty for a restock to get you through the year. That would be something like a pack of blades or a couple of soaps if your supplies are low. Most people in the annual sabbatical have too many products and need to use them up.
It seems your situation is best catered for in the monthly Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End where you can miss a few months whilst you check out products and evaluate them.
Respectfully, no it is not.

Throughout the GRUYERE I am flagging a bunch of creams and preshaves I might want to order for the next GRUYERE. Just for the products to get to me is almost a week. 10 or so days is simply not enough time to evaluate them.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Hi,

Used to be only one week for restock. The idea is to take the sabbatical time to really consider what it is you want to buy. So, then not much time needed to act on the choices. It was lengthened to two weeks because the period happens while some may still be on vacation and unable to get it done during the first week.

I'm thinking 'software' for you here rather than 'hardware'. I'm now thinking of a change where we could have a longer trial time for software. Let's float that balloon and see how it flies. Meaning, what do others think about that?

Stan

You have hit the nail on the head. I am set in terms of hardware. For creams and preshaves, I am constantly researching marginal improvement, looking to find products that might work even better than my current setup. By the end of the year I have the list whittled down to three or four. I need a minimum of four days using each to ascertain how they compare against my current reigning champions, and determine what to buy.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
To quote the first post:

The sabbatical is open to all ascetics, gluttons, minimisers', denizens of the doghouse, hecklers, reformed treewhalers, Darth Lords, trolls, and folks with nothing better to do. We're all about cheap thrills in the sabbatical. Cure your _ADs ("blank" acquisition disorder), prime your 3017 campaign, learn your current setup, enjoy what you've got, protect your paychecks: we walk many paths on the same road.

I fully fall into the highlighted categories. If I don't do all my purchasing in a set timeframe, my spend tends to balloon. If I restrict myself to evaluating a few promising products over the course of a few weeks (read: minimum three), and then purchase many of whichever one turns out to be best, I am able to continuously improve my software without breaking the bank.

Example: this year I switched from Grooming Department Preshave to the Cube, for budgetary reasons. I needed time to evaluate whether the cube was a suitable replacement.

Respectfully, no it is not.
Two weeks is plenty of time to restock for the annual sabbatical as people have an abundance of stock. The idea was to have a short restock period and keep out the ADs'. I think you are missing an important component of the annual sabbatical.
I fully fall into the highlighted categories. If I don't do all my purchasing in a set timeframe, my spend tends to balloon. If I restrict myself to evaluating a few promising products over the course of a few weeks (read: minimum three), and then purchase many of whichever one turns out to be best, I am able to continuously improve my software without breaking the bank.
That is why I suggested the GRUME is ideal for your needs. You can try many products through the year and you can opt out of some months to do your research.

For me the issue on restock is the timing of being right after the holidays and just before my birthday. Buying stuff for myself in that window is highly frowned upon by SWMBO. I have enough to make it through this year, but not enough to make it through next year. So my options will be to either fail at year end and ask for some shave supplies for Christmas (which I might do anyway--my kids like to give me things like shave soap that they know I'll use) so I'm set up for next year, or just not participate next year so I can restock on my own time. Honestly, I'm past the point of wanting to buy a bunch of stuff to try. I already know what I like and I'm here more for the camaraderie than keeping a check on my spending. I generally live like a shaving pauper nowadays!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
For me the issue on restock is the timing of being right after the holidays and just before my birthday. Buying stuff for myself in that window is highly frowned upon by SWMBO. I have enough to make it through this year, but not enough to make it through next year. So my options will be to either fail at year end and ask for some shave supplies for Christmas (which I might do anyway--my kids like to give me things like shave soap that they know I'll use) so I'm set up for next year, or just not participate next year so I can restock on my own time. Honestly, I'm past the point of wanting to buy a bunch of stuff to try. I already know what I like and I'm here more for the camaraderie than keeping a check on my spending. I generally live like a shaving pauper nowadays!
This gives me an idea. I am in a similar situation, in that I probably have enough software to last through April 2023.

What would you guys say to doing a floating restock window next year? 21 successive days, for those who have completed the annual restraint of the previous year?

While it's different to what we have done, there is no reason we couldn't change it. It would encourage people to use the restock window only when they genuinely need to restock. In other words, restraint repeaters wouldn't feel obligated to buy in January because it is the set time to buy. People with excess supplies would be incentivized to delay restock until they really need it.

This gives me an idea. I am in a similar situation, in that I probably have enough software to last through April 2023.

What would you guys say to doing a floating restock window next year? 21 successive days, for those who have completed the annual restraint of the previous year?

While it's different to what we have done, there is no reason we couldn't change it. It would encourage people to use the restock window only when they genuinely need to restock. In other words, restraint repeaters wouldn't feel obligated to buy in January because it is the set time to buy. People with excess supplies would be incentivized to delay restock until they really need it.
I like it!

If I have understood this correctly, it is not an annual sabbatical anymore and restock can be anytime in the year; it has to be twelve consecutive months of no shaving purchases to be called a year sabbatical.
This is a totally different from the concept of planning for the year so you have sufficient shaving supplies to last through the year, allowing for the one exception if you choose it. It also means you have that added incentive to stay away from those internet vendors who can easily tempt you with those special deals.
I also say that 21 days restock period is too long as you have many months to plan the restock. If you wish, order a few samples in the restock window to try during the year.

It seems to me if you cannot plan for no shaving purchases through the year the annual sabbatical is not suitable for you. There are the monthly GRUMEs which are more suitable for those who cannot commit to a consecutive twelve month sabbatical.
So my options will be to either fail at year end and ask for some shave supplies for Christmas (which I might do anyway--my kids like to give me things like shave soap that they know I'll use) so I'm set up for next year,...
You could ask for gifts that are non shaving related so you don't fail the sabbatical. Then restock in the usual two week window and you are set for a follow on sabbatical.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
If I have understood this correctly, it is not an annual sabbatical anymore and restock can be anytime in the year; it has to be twelve consecutive months of no shaving purchases to be called a year sabbatical.
This is a totally different from the concept of planning for the year so you have sufficient shaving supplies to last through the year, allowing for the one exception if you choose it. It also means you have that added incentive to stay away from those internet vendors who can easily tempt you with those special deals.
I also say that 21 days restock period is too long as you have many months to plan the restock. If you wish, order a few samples in the restock window to try during the year.

It seems to me if you cannot plan for no shaving purchases through the year the annual sabbatical is not suitable for you. There are the monthly GRUMEs which are more suitable for those who cannot commit to a consecutive twelve month sabbatical.

You could ask for gifts that are non shaving related so you don't fail the sabbatical. Then restock in the usual two week window and you are set for a follow on sabbatical.
The change of the restock period is ambivalent with respect to the total time spent restraining.

#52 still in, finished up my Anne Bonny soap puck as well as a bottle of Leviathan splash. Travelled 5 out the the past 7 weeks so very little consistency but I'm really looking forward to starting on some citrus scented goodies once June rolls around. No temptations at this time.

Frag: 1 (Gravity, I believe it's a Dana product. Quite forgettable, and really I'll stop using them altogether once done)
Soap: 3 (Fedrihan Robusto, Proraso green cream, Anne Bonny croap)
Splash: 3 (Leviathan, Anne Bonny, witch hazel, Aramis)

I am out by virtue of purchase of a Shick Krona from an antique vendor who found it in a piece they had taken in. I told her I would give her $10 right there and she was happy to get it. It is a razor that I have heard good things about but have never tried. Good luck to all who have persevered.

Still in.
I definitely have way too many soap and creams. I'm glad to be in restraint to have skipped a bunch of 15-20% off type sales. I'm currently trying to focus more on the Antica Barbieria Colla cream that I've had open since December. Good times

Top Bottom