What's new

2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek Season 2

How does the scent strength of the Proraso single blade Wood and Spice cream compare to the Wood and Spice ASB?

No idea as I don't have the ASB. This has to me a light scent. But I'm not the right person to ask about scents. :blue:
I also am not great on scents. Olfactorily challenged. But my tube of this cream is the first product I've had where the scent has been a big negative. Basenote is butane. If I get another tube of this stuff I would opt for a different scent.

Still in. Another pretty good shave this morning, but the Treet started to struggle at the last. 2 & done, as usual with most blades I use.

Yaqi Mellon
Treat Black Beauty (2&bin)
Proraso Wood & Spice
Simpson Trafalgar

StHJ36NZTQ-cW1Q32kz5mg.jpeg

I really like the razor. Awesome shave for something so inexpensive.
Yeah it's been my daily driver for the last year. Thinking about selling the rest and get a bunch of backups. It gives a great effortless shave and whatch out, the sharpest blades can make this very efficient. Just wish the treading was standard so I could use other handles but at the same time that hollow plastic handle makes it super manœuvrable.

Adding in an exception. Chesty's post about Cella got me remembering I really enjoyed it a couple years back. Not sure I'll go for the kg. but .... oh who am I kidding!

#1 KQY61 - Exception: Pack of Med Preps
#2 CzechCzar - exception - Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream with Hyaluronic Acid for Extra-Dry Skin
#3 CJB3 - Exception: grail brush
#4 elmo_koffman - Exception: blades
#5 sjblon - Exception: Vintage razor
#6 Jim99 - exception: puck of Christmas soap
#7 ADudeandHisDogs: no exception
#8 02FLHTCI: Blackland Era
#9 EB Newfarm no exception
#10 Sotiris_A: a badger brush
#11 T.Orso: Lucky Tiger AS
#12 Angus MacAngus: 1969 Super Speed
#13 Jamesearthdrum: Cella soap
#14 Noodles: no exception
#15 Cafebarian: no exception
#16 Crisp Rat: Super Adjustable
#17 Pepin - Exception: vintage razor
#18 Hellboy - no exception
#19 Doorcube - Exception: Soap
#20 JeffJ - no exception
#21 snowman - no exceptions
#22 Chesty - no exception
#23 Benoni - Exception: Henson ti22
#24 tsimmns - no exception
#25 Lee93 - Exception: Tallow Tabac
#26 ShavingPanda - no exception
#27 GaryTha no exception
#28 Balin - exception Wolfman Razor
#29 Southern_S - Exception: Proraso White Preshave
#30 Wil_D no exceptions
#31 pdillon - exception: no exceptions
#32 Smooth and Sharp - a razor
#33 Thomas Darkblade - no exceptions
#34 byDoms - no exceptions
#35 wmadoty - no exceptions again
#36 kjbarth - no exception at this time
#37 mattps1 - no exception
#38 gdawg55 - exception: Lucky Tiger AS Tonic
#39 Invicta - no exception
#40 JAHE - exception: a razor
#41 AZBronco - exception Feather FHS10 blades
#42 4and20blackbirds - no exceptions
#43 Ruva - no exception
#44 Heron - exception one aftershave
#45 Whisky - no exception
#46 Barbarossa - A single puck of shaving soap.
#47 JoWolf - no exception
#48 JWCowboy - no exceptions other than Sue Moore Auction/BB Group Buys
#49 deafficianado - Blackland Era
# 50 B_R_A_D - Razor
# 51 MuhleShaver - no exception
#52 Esetter
#53 md1234 - no exception
#54 Avi - no exception

In the last couple of days I tried to build up some muscle memory regarding the wtg pass on my cheeks with the Feather SS (and finished my shaves with a DE). It did go pretty well. This is why I decided to do a two pass shave with it today.

20220127_105316-01-01.jpeg

I ended up with a pleasant dfs result and just one tiny nick. When I placed the blade in the soul patch area I went a tad to steep and got me lightly. Whilst not being the closest shave of the week I felt no need for a DE finish.

I'm still in the early learning stage but it's getting better.

# 40 - still in

Head shave this morning with a top three blade for me, the Personna Lab Blue. Excellent shave, really shines in the Yaqi Mellon, or any razor for me. Playing with blades is fun, but using the favorites reminds one of why they are the favorites.

Yaqi Mellon
Proraso Wood & Spice
Personna Lab Blue (fresh)
Simpson Trafalgar brush

q0rg5bjbQ4uTE18fm8m5RA.jpeg

It was a great and confortable shave today. I'm using all the accumulated samples, I want to finish something. (This week I finished Clubman Brandy Spice also).
Chiseled Face's Ghost town barber is a good soap, not too fat and for me that's a good thing. A&E Montecarlo aftershave has a beautiful scent and makes my skin very soft. The brush is a Zenith Chubby, unbleached, 28x55, it needs to be broken in. The handle is solid and ergonomic, it has a nice weight. The Merkur 42C and Personna Platinum comfortable as usual.

IMG_20220127_180905.jpg

For the past two days I've only used the Feather Artist Club SS shavette. The previous two days I'd done a WTG pass with the shavette and finished the shave with one of my DE razors. Yesterday I completed a WTG pass with the Feather, and then tried to do a XTG pass and completely baffled myself on how to hold the razor so I completed it as best I could - then watched some videos by Michael Freedberg and GeoFatboy and realized that for XTG and ATG passes I need to use the opposite hand and hold the razor kamisori style, so that's what I did this morning. Today I only did WTG and ATG passes on both cheeks and neck and the shave is decent, but I really need to get that XTG pass in there. One small nick at the end of my jaw, but nothing major.

Shaving with the shavette, and also my workload at work, is keeping my temptations for straight razors at bay.

#51 still in.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
In like win.

I had been dealing with a conundrum... In 2021, I bought a bunch of creams, trying to find my favorite. Speick Active was the winner, so I bought a bunch of those before 2022. But, what to do with the old creams? I have the option of using them, getting sub-par performance, while my Speick tempted me. Or I could use my favorite first, and have these others sitting unused.

I concluded that life is too short. I used Speick Active this morning, and got, as expected, a stellar shave.

I will save these other for use... at some other time. It doesn't matter. I have my optimal shave setup, and I don't see much of a reason to deviate from that.

In like win.

I had been dealing with a conundrum... In 2021, I bought a bunch of creams, trying to find my favorite. Speick Active was the winner, so I bought a bunch of those before 2022. But, what to do with the old creams? I have the option of using them, getting sub-par performance, while my Speick tempted me. Or I could use my favorite first, and have these others sitting unused.

I concluded that life is too short. I used Speick Active this morning, and got, as expected, a stellar shave.

I will save these other for use... at some other time. It doesn't matter. I have my optimal shave setup, and I don't see much of a reason to deviate from that.
Trades are allowed, perhaps put them up for trade for Speick Active? PIF them? Sell em?

Nice to find cream that you know you like and works.

January 28​

Twelfth fixed-four weekly shave. Three days to scratch off January. Sabbatical success continues. Ground Hog soon to meet Boar Hog.

Grande & Feather
Zenith B-35 Boar
Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica

Fixed four Fridays. A seven day growth seems to have lost a bit of length. Beard training? Big boar is gaining softnesses. Beautiful soap and lathering pleasures. I am refining skin stretch/flattening and expanding it to the head shave. The concentrated effort slowed the shave down considerably. Strokes became more deliberate. Allowing me to lighten pressure, closeness and comfort improved. In my shave experience. Highest efficiencies achieve highest comfort. The Grande & Feather felt like they found an overdrive gear. Not faster, a comfort glide kind of smoothness. Excellent face and head shave.

I will continue to work on refining skin stretch/flattening. A larger than expected improvement. I enjoyed my one pass shave slowing down. I played with lather more than I needed to.
Exploring shaves continues to be fun and enjoyable.

Happy Shaves Gents

B79CF4F0-E3C0-4CD4-A02B-A97CDC239B65.jpeg

Top Bottom