What's new

2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek Season 2

I'm still in if its cool with the gents here. One of my college age sons stopped by for dinner last night. Beef Stew...good stuff!! As usual, I loaded him up with left overs to take with him. I dropped the $1 pack of Walgreens razors in with everything else. So I'd like to consider that a PIF.

On a side note. This morning he texted me. He found the pack of razors last night when he was unpacking. He shaved with one this morning and reported it to be "total garbage". He then PIF'd the remaining 2 to his roomate...who hasnt shaved....ever.

Way to PIF them and remain in. Sounds like you dodged a bullet if they are cruddy shavers to boot.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I'm still in if its cool with the gents here. One of my college age sons stopped by for dinner last night. Beef Stew...good stuff!! As usual, I loaded him up with left overs to take with him. I dropped the $1 pack of Walgreens razors in with everything else. So I'd like to consider that a PIF.

On a side note. This morning he texted me. He found the pack of razors last night when he was unpacking. He shaved with one this morning and reported it to be "total garbage". He then PIF'd the remaining 2 to his roomate...who hasnt shaved....ever.
You dodged a bullet there. That would have been awful, to go out, by accident, so early on, over a garbage product.

download.jpg

As snowman found out, it can be difficult. I am taking the approach that I am not punishing myself for anything but reinforcing the opportunity to more fully enjoy the purchases that I have made in the past. I have many occasions when I have picked up the latest and greatest, used it a few times, then let it sit on a shelf for extended periods. Yesterday I took out the Gillette New and the New Improved that have not been touched for a couple of years and today got a nice shave. The difficult part for me is the impulse buys when I buy or order something just because I saw it. That expands beyond shaving gear so this exercise may have a side benefit - assuming I don't overcompensate by impulse buying other items! Hang in there, we are already more than 2% done.

Still in. First temptation came when I found out that I would really like to try Henson AL13. Really interesting razor, but I enjoy my newly gained peace of mind, more than I enjoyed '21 shopping spree. Lets hope the rest of the year will be as easy as the first two weeks 😁

Still in!!! I unsubscribed from most shaving retail sites, but Italian Barber snuck through. Maybe I will create a mail rule to have them automatically put in the trash. Still waiting on 2 boxing day purchases to arrive though.

For those who are seriously looking to successfully make it through until the end of the year - the best thing that has worked for me was 3017ing soaps (you can look it up, but it's basically using one soap exclusively until it's done). That and pretty much staying away from B&B except for reporting in helps immensely. At the beginning of the year I decided to switch up soaps and try some other things in my stash. That led to a renewed interest in scents and what other soaps are out - renewing temptation is not the way to start off well :).

Still in!

Hi,

And, it was that Year Long of 2013 that got me thinking to join for 2014. I actually joined a tad earlier. We used to have Quarterly Restraints then and I joined the 4th quarter one in 2013. The Gentlemanly Restraint Until Christmas. Then I bought a few things during the open week at the end of the Quarterly to then be All Systems Are Go for the Year-Long in 2014.

And, I've been at it ever since. At first, just to show others that it can be done. Later, just because I actually have a grand time with everyone else. Year after year. :)

Oh, and my Half-Baked idea I didn't run with: 2022 is the Year Of Soylent Green. Aren't we all happy about that? (!)

Stan
Has anybody made a Soylent Green novelty soap? Hopefully it's not a true Soylent Green, but I don't want to spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it yet.

Good luck to everyone participating in the 2022 sabbatical! Not trying to tempt anyone but here’s been my spoils the first couple weeks after a successful 2021 sabbatical:
F76E4C90-ED5C-4D32-AB2F-0903478E3D20.jpeg
F89756C2-8306-4D29-BB99-780B1A0923B4.jpeg
A4A2D86C-0B9E-4E54-9583-06842861BD0E.jpeg

If I’m not careful I’m going to end up back where I started! 😬😬 and lining up for the 2023 sabbatical. God speed and safe travels out there! I’ll be following along y’all’s journey!

Good luck to everyone participating in the 2022 sabbatical! Not trying to tempt anyone but here’s been my spoils the first couple weeks after a successful 2021 sabbatical: View attachment 1392176View attachment 1392178View attachment 1392180
If I’m not careful I’m going to end up back where I started! 😬😬 and lining up for the 2023 sabbatical. God speed and safe travels out there! I’ll be following along y’all’s journey!
IMO this looks like an absolutely resonable order after one year of restraint. The tough thing might now be to jump off the wagon before the next itch starts again...

As snowman found out, it can be difficult. I am taking the approach that I am not punishing myself for anything but reinforcing the opportunity to more fully enjoy the purchases that I have made in the past. I have many occasions when I have picked up the latest and greatest, used it a few times, then let it sit on a shelf for extended periods. Yesterday I took out the Gillette New and the New Improved that have not been touched for a couple of years and today got a nice shave. The difficult part for me is the impulse buys when I buy or order something just because I saw it. That expands beyond shaving gear so this exercise may have a side benefit - assuming I don't overcompensate by impulse buying other items! Hang in there, we are already more than 2% done.

Well stated Chesty.

I was succesful in a full year sabbatical 2-3 years ago. I'm going to employ the same tactic that worked for me that time. I have a number of DE's, SE's, and an heirloom straight that rarely see the light of day. I'm going to do a 2 week rotation and give each of them a moment in the sun. Its amazing to pick up a razor you havent used in a couple years...its like getting a new toy without spending any money.

Hi,

What a smooth way to handle the situation! My hat is tipped to you, sir! And, of course, you are Still In!

Imagine if you had gone Out for 'garbage'...... Ouch!!

Stan

Has anybody made a Soylent Green novelty soap? Hopefully it's not a true Soylent Green, but I don't want to spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it yet.
Hi,

Not that I have ever seen. I do recall some green dyed crackers way back when though.... (!)

Stan

Top Bottom