What's new

2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek Season 2

Ok

Houston (and everywhere else), We've Had A Problem!

Sorry, Jim (Lovell, not Kirk). I'm stealing your line.

We are into the last week of 2021 and...No New Year-Long Restraint has materialized from the transporter matrix. And, we seem to have lost the Commodore as well. I had a half-baked idea but little time to flesh it out. And, then someone suggested heading back to StarBase and recrew and reprovision. And so that's exactly what I'm doing!

As such, I have copied the verbiage from the 2021 Restraint. I have tried to change 2021 to 2022 and maybe I got them all. If not, well, y'all just convert the date if I missed any. :)

And, I shall take on the tasks of the Commodore. That fits, since I picked Commodore Decker for my Avatar for 2021.

------

Introducing the 2022 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Year's End RElief

Join the members of the Badger & Blade community for the 11th annual Shave Purchase Sabbatical, held since 2010. Remembering all those who were successful, those who are still toughing it out, those who signed up, and those who fell to temptation, @Pepin presents to you, the Badger and Blade 2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical, aka The Gentlemanly Restraint Until Year's End RElief thread.

This year's GRUYERE storyline will be Shave Trek – To Boldly Go Where No Razor Has Gone Before. The theme will be a parody based on that classic 1960’s television show Star Trek.
Shave-Trek - To Boldly Go Where No Razor Has Gone Before

Captain Diego Tiberius Archon sighed and put down the digital tablet with the manifest he had been reviewing. Pushing back his chair away from the desk he leaned back, looked around his office, the polished desk, the commendations on the wall, holo-images of him and military officials. He enjoyed his life in the Intergalactic Service, the travel, adventure, and danger, made him feel alive. So many interesting characters he had met in his years, and shortly the next new mission will begin.
The loading of supplies and cargo will be completed shortly, and then the E.S.S. (Earth Spaceship) Superspeed will be set for its year long mission. To further explore the galaxies, search out new and exotic worlds. Interacting with strange new aliens and cultures, spreading razor and shaving technology as they go. In his mind he reviewed his crew, they had all served under him for many years.
Lieutenant Yvonne “Starburst” Damaskeene, Communications Chief, and in charge of The Triskelion Grotto, the ships Tiki Bar. Even in space people need to relax and unwind.
Chief Engineer Harcove “Big Fellow” Mudd in charge of the ships propulsion systems and all matters mechanical and electrical.
First Officer Sisalik, a science expert from a different world. The lizard-like population had lived for eons on their dry sub-tropical planet. Technology has always been their strong suit.
Chief Medical Officer Dr. Jim “Slim” Hatfield in charge of the crew’s health and general well being.
Sub-Lieutenant Fenton Schick in charge of the navigational duties of the ship. He also ran the ships sensors.
Chief Petty Officer Vladimir “The Dandy” Andropovich in charge of security and tactics. Travel through out the galaxy can be dangerous with so many unknown factors.
And of course, the crew. While many had served with distinction, and still do, several had also passed in the line of duty. Some had come to regard the red shirts of their uniform as a cursed colour, others as a badge of honour. This time there would be enough crew to counter what ever they came across.

Will you take up the 2022 GRUYERE quest and see if you can succeed in the year-long sabbatical as you travel the galaxy exploring new worlds, or will aliens, mysterious strangers, mechanical issues, sabotage waylay you on your travels. Pick up the gauntlet of adventure and don the red shirt of the Intergalactic Service.

The sabbatical is open to all ascetics, gluttons, minimisers', denizens of the doghouse, hecklers, reformed treewhalers, Darth Lords, trolls, and folks with nothing better to do. We're all about cheap thrills in the sabbatical. Cure your _ADs ("blank" acquisition disorder), prime your 3017 campaign, learn your current setup, enjoy what you've got, protect your paychecks: we walk many paths on the same road.

New to restraint? The ground rules are simple: You don't purchase shaving related goods for a calendar year (12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days, 525,600 minutes). We start when 2021 becomes 2022, and we end when 2022 becomes 2023. It is not for the faint of heart, the Rules cover a wide area, to help with the goal of saving money. We are all here to save money, to stop filling every nook and cranny of our humble abode with shaving related items.

The Rules
1. Read all of the rules. From #1 through to and including number 16.
2. Start and end time are based on your local time zone.
3. Gentlemanly Restraint is restricted to all items related to shaving and the shaving hobby; though you can avoid other purchases as well.
4. No purchases of anything to do with shaving are allowed during the restraint period. NONE. No purchases even if you get a gift card to WCS, ebay,
Amazon, etc. If you need something you may trade for it; that's why you are a part of a community that can help you out. This also means that you
have enough stuff to see out about 12 months of shaving.
5. Gifts. You cannot ask for, solicit, hint at, etc., gifts in any way.
6. PIFs. You may OFFER PIFs (including associated shipping costs), but the PIF excludes those B&B members who are part of the annual sabbatical. You
may not enter or request a PIF.
7. To clarify, not buying anything means not spending money (or redeeming gift cards) on shaving goods, period. This includes blades, cream, soap,
brushes, scuttles, any type of cartridge, aftershave, stone, strop, lapping film, scuttle water heater, kettle for the bathroom, shaving related books,
pictures, knick-knacks and on and on. You get the idea. You spent money on it? You haven't shown restraint. *
8. Plan your year carefully. Think ahead to make sure you have the razors, blades, soaps, creams, aftershaves, scuttles, towels, travel gear, dopp bags
etc. for the next twelve months. If you travel, pick up a couple of the dreaded disposables. You can always ask before the start if you are not sure
how much you will go through.
9.You must check-in on the 2022 GRUYERE thread during the specific times listed

March 29th to April 7th
June 28th through to July 7th
September 27th through to October 6th
January 1st through to January 10th 2022
10. However, at other times please feel free to post and let us know how you are doing in your goal of abstaining.
11. If a shaving item breaks in the restraint and you have no backup handy, one replacement may be purchased as an exception (example if the knot
comes out of your brush when traveling, a cheap brush or superglue to fix broken brush is deemed acceptable in the 2021 restraint). Forgetting
to pack your gear does not count, that will put you out.
12. The fine print on the grey areas: Functional maintenance, such as straight razor honing, does not count as a purchased good. Since we're
all gentlemen here, we leave it up to you to decide if PIF purchases for others count as purchases.
13. Gifts you receive are also dicey. Because these and other fuzzy areas may pop up, let's agree to be gentlemanly in our appraisal of still in or
knocked out. In other words, you're in until you say "I'm out" and you're out if you spent money! If you buy something, announce what you
bought so we can get our vicarious thrills at your expense and strike you from the list in an exciting chapter of our ongoing storyline.
14. Only if you succeeded in the 2020 Sabbatical, you have from January 1-14, 2022 as restock window.
15. If you have to ask for clarification, you probably should not be doing it.
16. Read rule number 1.
Group exceptions:
  • ALL Badger and Blade branded items including B&B Group Buys
  • Sue Moore Memorial Auction items
  • Badger and Blade contributor badge

*Oscar Wilde Clause ("Everything in moderation, including moderation"): If you elect to do so, you may state one specific personal exception when you sign up. The personal exception is a onetime one item purchase (one razor, or one soap, or one box of blades). You can also use the Bingle Buddy Gift Exchange as your exception.

What say you? Are you in?!

Last edited:
Hi,

OK. The usual. Copy and Paste and add thyself.

Participants for the 2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical: The Gentlemanly Restraint Until Year's End RElief

#1 KQY61 - Exception: Pack of Med Preps.

Stan

Reactions: bjm
I’m in:
#2 bjm - Exception: Simpson Eagle G3
#3 CJB3 - Exception: grail brush

Finally! I was waiting for this. I'm in.

#4 elmo_koffman - Exception: blades

Lets try this again.

#5 sjblon - Exception: Vintage razor

#6 Jim99 - exception: puck of Christmas soap

#7 ADudeandHisDogs: no exception

Hi,

All Right! We're loading the ship efficiently now! Maybe I'll call it the USS Tang after SS 306..... Although there are many fine subs still on patrol to choose from. Maybe I could use USS Ticonderoga given that Ticonderoga is Back Home for me. Mom and Dad lived in Hague, NY 8 miles from Ti. I don't think the US Navy currently has one. The last was a cruiser and there was lso a famous aircraft carrier.....

Oh, wait. I went back and looked. We had names based on razors. I'd forgotten that.

I was worried it was a tad too late. Only one week left. But, anything ordered prior to the Zero Hundred Hours on 1 January 2022 is OK. It isn't when you get the stuff needed for a whole year, it's when you spend the money. And, we'll use each person's time zone rather than the UTC I usually use. ;)

And, I'm not buying a thing. I think I have enough blades and so I put that in as my exception. It depends on how many my wife uses. And I'm in the Ten Year restraint where the rule is to restock only once one has run out. This way, both restraints are covered.

Stan - Still In (since I'm running straight thru)

#8 02FLHTCI: no exception

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
#9 EB Newfarm no exception

I'm in.

#10 Sotiris_A: a badger brush

Count me in.

#11 T.Orso: witch hazel

I'm in.

#12 Angus MacAngus: 1969 Super Speed

Last edited:
I'm in, Lucky 13!
#13 Jamesearthdrum: no exception

I need to give this a whirl again…

#14 Noodles: no exception

#15 Cafebarian: no exception

#15 Cafebarian: no exception
#16 Crisp Rat: Super Adjustable

I think I am going to refrain from this year. I might buy a stone to sharpen my wood working tools but I am unable to swear that I will never take it inside and use it on a straight razor.

I will follow along and watch the shenanagins and who knows maybe even bake a batch or two of cookies. :cuppa: