What's new

2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek Season 2

For the past two days I've been using my Barrister and Mann Leviathan that I bought who knows how long ago, paired with the Leviathan AS that I bought at the same time. Wow, I've been 3017ing and have been missing this?!!? The scent is excellent, not overpowering, but lingers just enough that I can catch little hints all day long. It's so deliciously dark and amazing...this doesn't bode well for sticking to the restaint this year.

A small black hole has suddenly appeared and is pulling the ship, ever-so-slightly, towards it...oh, boy.

Still in...for now.

The Variant wins today but the price of victory is to go back on the shelf until I feel like trying again. I decided to go back and try with a Personna Lab Blue again. This is a blade that I have used in every DE razor I own and has been one of my mainstays from the start. By the time that I was 3/4 through the first pass, I had a half a dozen bleeding spots and I could feel the irritation. A couple of days ago, I had one of my best shaves with the same razor on the same setting using a Crystal blade. We had snow today and I had come in from using the snowblower for 45 minutes. I do have arthritis in my thumbs and that, combined with the cold, likely impacted my technique today. Nonetheless, I will revisit the Variant farther into the year. My previous bouts with RAD have left me with plenty of options!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
For those who aren't familiar with Treewhale's epic fail (it's so egregious that perhaps it has looped around and is a success in and of itself), from whence the term "treewhale" was born - here's the page in the 2013 yearly restraint where it occurred: 2013 - Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Gentlemanly Insanity | Page 300 | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com). If you look a bit lower on that page at post 5987 is where the term was born into common use.
many thanks!

Hi,

And, it was that Year Long of 2013 that got me thinking to join for 2014. I actually joined a tad earlier. We used to have Quarterly Restraints then and I joined the 4th quarter one in 2013. The Gentlemanly Restraint Until Christmas. Then I bought a few things during the open week at the end of the Quarterly to then be All Systems Are Go for the Year-Long in 2014.

And, I've been at it ever since. At first, just to show others that it can be done. Later, just because I actually have a grand time with everyone else. Year after year. :)

Oh, and my Half-Baked idea I didn't run with: 2022 is the Year Of Soylent Green. Aren't we all happy about that? (!)

Stan

#21 out....cuz...cuz...cuz....I'm stoooopid.

So, I'm running some errands this morning and I stop by the local Walgreens to pick up a prescription. I should mention, the temperature was -18 F this morning. You know...the kind of cold where the snow squeaks when you step on it.

Anywho. I run into Walgreens, pick up the prescription, grab a jug of Tonic Water because I'm gonna have a couple gin and tonics while ice fishing with the neighbor tomorrow. While heading towards the cashier I notice on the close out table a package of 3, Walgreens branded disposable 3 blade razors for $1.00. Guessing a cheap Chinese knock off of Mach 3's, probably Dorco's. My age addled somewhat frozen brain says to myself...self...a buck...grab it. So I did. Some hours later I'm back home putting stuff away. I grab the $1.00 cheapies and my semi-thawed brain goes...huh...just blew that sabbatical.

Stooooopid. I need these plastic hunks o junk like I need another hole in my head.

So, I'm running some errands this morning and I stop by the local Walgreens to pick up a prescription. I should mention, the temperature was -18 F this morning. You know...the kind of cold where the snow squeaks when you step on it.

Anywho. I run into Walgreens, pick up the prescription, grab a jug of Tonic Water because I'm gonna have a couple gin and tonics while ice fishing with the neighbor tomorrow. While heading towards the cashier I notice on the close out table a package of 3, Walgreens branded disposable 3 blade razors for $1.00. Guessing a cheap Chinese knock off of Mach 3's, probably Dorco's. My age addled somewhat frozen brain says to myself...self...a buck...grab it. So I did. Some hours later I'm back home putting stuff away. I grab the $1.00 cheapies and my semi-thawed brain goes...huh...just blew that sabbatical.

Stooooopid. I need these plastic hunks o junk like I need another hole in my head.

Noooo! The $1 impulse buy got you!
Can you return them?

January 7​

2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek Season 2 but #1 for me
Plus my fixed four, keeping me focused on shave comfort improvement.

The end of my first and second year were much the same. Continued to explore products and equipment that would enhance and improve shave comfort. This is the first year where goals are exclusively focused on comfort. I have everything I need.

I’m a Fixed Four Trekkie going for 52 beautiful face & head shaves for 2022. A relaxed unburdened mind with pre and post paraphernalia in place. Elevate shave comfort. Something to chase. Shaves continue to be fun and exciting.

2022‘s First Shave

Grande & Feather
Zenith B-35 Boar
Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica

Final quarter of last year established my Fixed Four. Copacetic shave components jelled into a strong cohesive, efficient unit. Pure pleasure using this kit. The powerful boar loads up and is face painting and scrubbing creamy lather in under a minute. Pre shave Shea Butter seamlessly adds a slickness propelling razor glide to new speeds. Autobahn blur.

The Grande is a speed demon. Quick short accurate strokes is the Grande’s forte. Weighing sixty-nine grams. Balanced to perfection. Stunning maneuverability. Two years wielding the Grande and I continue to be impressed with its performance. Single use Feathers, sharp as it gets. Smooth effortless whisker slicing harvest. Never a tug or skip. Everything in hand to chase big comfort.

The face and head shave both recipients of an ultra soft touch. I can’t do that every shave. The main reason for the fixed. This is month three for the kit. I couldn’t be happier with the strong performance. I expect these shaves to reach regular repeatability by years end. An above average shave. The alum block stayed unused and dry. Witch Hazel, Hyaluronic acid, Mango Butter finished with Tundra A/S. More importantly above average Post Skin Comfort. I love it when a plan works. High optimism for the 51 shaves to follow.

9A03DDC5-8D76-455A-AF94-B377201E25BA.jpeg

Happy Shaves Trekkies

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

IMHO you should just return them.

For those who aren't familiar with Treewhale's epic fail (it's so egregious that perhaps it has looped around and is a success in and of itself), from whence the term "treewhale" was born - here's the page in the 2013 yearly restraint where it occurred: 2013 - Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Gentlemanly Insanity | Page 300 | Badger & Blade (badgerandblade.com). If you look a bit lower on that page at post 5987 is where the term was born into common use.
Thanks for posting. Everything about this is great, including Treewhale's avatar.I love the 500 Astras. What is wrong with us?

The soap landscape has changed so much since then (this also strikes me when I look at the first post in the 3017 thread). D.R. Harris, Razorock, AoS, and several mass market sticks. I do see a Mike's card in there, though not the soap. With the boom of these artisan soaps, I feel like the temptation is even greater. We must resist!

Still in, BTW. I 3017 both soap and aftershave. My Zingari unscented ASB is getting close. I now have to unscrew the top and tap it out, Heinz-57 style. Really good value (and terrific product). I think I have been using that ASB for months.

I am doing this challenge in conjunction with the 365 shaves in 2022. I have to say I am really enjoying the two together, and looking forward to explore my collection of razors.

Probably but the way I look at it is that I needed to learn a lesson. Which I have, and maybe by admitting my mistake some others will learn as well. Besides, I can still play along wiht you crazy kids the rest of the year as a not so silent observer.
I’d say there is still time to make good and donate these to a homeless shelter or food bank or anywhere that will take them, which should not be hard to find. Your call.

Hi,

Quick! PIF them! Donate them! Anything!

Stan

Hi,

And, it was that Year Long of 2013 that got me thinking to join for 2014. I actually joined a tad earlier. We used to have Quarterly Restraints then and I joined the 4th quarter one in 2013. The Gentlemanly Restraint Until Christmas. Then I bought a few things during the open week at the end of the Quarterly to then be All Systems Are Go for the Year-Long in 2014.

And, I've been at it ever since. At first, just to show others that it can be done. Later, just because I actually have a grand time with everyone else. Year after year. :)

Oh, and my Half-Baked idea I didn't run with: 2022 is the Year Of Soylent Green. Aren't we all happy about that? (!)

Stan
Now I need to watch this movie.

Plot description from wikipedia: "By the year 2022, the cumulative effects of overpopulation, pollution and an apparent climate catastrophe have caused severe worldwide shortages of food, water and housing."

Seems like a pretty accurate description of problems that we are facing ... in 2022. Funny it's a movie from 1973. It would be a perfect theme for this year 😁

Top Bottom