What's new

2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek Season 2

Hi,

Every time I see someone talk about selling off some shaving stuff, I think I might ought to do the same. But, then, I think I really don't have all that much and...don't.

Seriously, though, I rarely use anything except one Fasan Double Slant (of two) and Grandpa's Old Type. I have two Techs (one Pre and one Post war) and a SuperSpeed that were my Dad's. Those I'd keep, of course. I have these open combs I picked up with the idea of OCtober, Open Comb tober as it were. Those could go, really. As could that ATT S2 I almost bought for several years in a row and never did, then finally did, and didn't much like.

Boy, that last one there.... Think on it forever then buy it and not like it. A story of why RAD is bad. :p

Stan - Still In
When I had 68 razors in my den, I would not use any one razor frequently enough to know whether or not I really liked it. I felt as though I was being greedy, downright piggish, and having a corner on the market. It was fun, but I felt that having so many razors took away from the fun of using them. Besides, getting older and having health issues, I felt it was time to share the wealth.

I wish I had my father’s razors, but he tossed his fatboy and super speed when he switched over to a Trac II back in the ‘70s. For now I think I’ll be comfortable in having maybe 6-8 razors.

Well done, way to reduce the numbers.

I was in a similar boat, and have slimmed down to less than 20. I've enjoyed more regular use of what I love and not feeling the need to chase the best razors (as I have plenty of great ones now).
This is a great hobby and it has taught me about the various razor formats (straight razors, single edge, double edge, injectors) and all of the manufacturers. All very cool! I’ll hopefully be enjoying this hobby for many years to come.

Nice Weds shave with my Daishi 55.
A72E5A0C-AE01-46D7-833E-A2AB02C43802_1_201_a.jpeg

Hi,

One more loss and we'll have to install the M5, and y'all know how that thing works!

The way the M5 works rather explains what happened to the M1 thru M4..... ;)

Stan

Still in and I bought my exception item on accident. My exception was Feather FHS-10 blades for my OneBlade razor. They were on an automatic refill plan and I forgot to go delay the shipment because I still have plenty. Also, I'm trying out a beard, so I'm not going through a ton of blades just shaving my neck and cleaning up my cheeks. I cancelled the automatic refills plan this morning so they don't send any more in 6 months.

Anyway--I can see the end of the year from here and I can't imagine wanting anything between now and December 31 (rapidly starts knocking on wood).

I’m still in and planning for a purchase in 2023. I’m thinking of a Karve Chris Bradley or Outlander, or possibly a Lupo 72. I have plenty of time to make up my mind, but wondering if I can purchase it during the restock period during the 2023 sabbatical.

I’m still in and planning for a purchase in 2023. I’m thinking of a Karve Chris Bradley or Outlander, or possibly a Lupo 72. I have plenty of time to make up my mind, but wondering if I can purchase it during the restock period during the 2023 sabbatical.
Hi,

Yes. This one ends when the year turns over. Then there are two weeks for all who are successful to buy whatever they would like before officially starting the next year. :)

You can sign up earlier, of course, as soon as the next year sabbatical is announced. You still get the two week window. Unless...you can't hold off and then drop out this year. In that case, you'd have to buy things prior to the start for next year.

However, you have made it this far this year and I have faith that you'll need to be using the restock window for 23. ;)

Speaking of which, I have outlined the theme for next year in case I need to be the one setting it up. Of course, anyone else could make one up as well. Just say so here before December 1st because I'll write up the preamble at that time and post it.

Stan

Hi,

Yes. This one ends when the year turns over. Then there are two weeks for all who are successful to buy whatever they would like before officially starting the next year. :)

You can sign up earlier, of course, as soon as the next year sabbatical is announced. You still get the two week window. Unless...you can't hold off and then drop out this year. In that case, you'd have to buy things prior to the start for next year.

However, you have made it this far this year and I have faith that you'll need to be using the restock window for 23. ;)

Speaking of which, I have outlined the theme for next year in case I need to be the one setting it up. Of course, anyone else could make one up as well. Just say so here before December 1st because I'll write up the preamble at that time and post it.

Stan
I’m definitely going to wait for the restock window. I’ve made it this far, so a few more months is fine. Besides, I still need to do my research on these razors to decide which one to go with. Good news is I’ve sold off many razors from my den this year and made a dent in my soap and aftershave stock.

This sabbatical is definitely helping me focus on what’s important.

Hi,

Excellent! That is the entire point of doing these year-long ones. And, if only one person makes it to the end having learned to focus just a bit better on what they already have, then it is all worthwhile.

I made it in my first year in 2014. Then I hung around just to be proof that the concept really does work.

Edit: Not to mention the periodic battles between the Good Side and Dark Side of the Shaving Force (but the Dark Side has cookies)! :p

Stan

Top Bottom