What's new

2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek Season 2

Nice shave this morning with the Feather Artist Club shavette. Five days growth, the blade sliced smoothly through everything. A three pass shave yielded a DFS with some slightly stubbly areas left near my adams apple which I haven't quite figured out how to best approach with the shavette.

Nice shave this morning with the Feather Artist Club shavette. Five days growth, the blade sliced smoothly through everything. A three pass shave yielded a DFS with some slightly stubbly areas left near my adams apple which I haven't quite figured out how to best approach with the shavette.
That's exactly the area where I struggled (and still do) to receive a BBS result, too...
Perhaps just take a DE and finish the shave with a stroke or two. It's just not worth dislocating your arm whilst finding the correct angle 😉

Last edited:
Still in. Yesterday's shave.
1C8F981D-0764-43A0-9101-E6FB20B7EF82_1_201_a.jpeg

Still in, barely!! I have filled various carts twice but then closed the tab on my browser!

My BAD's ( Brush and Blade AD's ) are percolating........ Russian blades may be tough to get in the future, a Thater brush, maybe some more Tabac!!!

I am stepping away from the computer, there must be chores the LOTH would prefer me to do!

That's exactly the area where I struggled (and still do) to receive a BBS result, too...
Perhaps just take a DE and finish the shave with a stroke or two. It's just not worth dislocating your arm whilst finding the correct angle 😉
I completely agree. I can get a good shave with the Feather AC, but I can get an even better shave with my Muhle R41 - that has been what tempered my tripping down the straight razor rabbit hole. I'm sure that a true straight razor can give a much better shave than a shavette, but I really don't need to think about that until the restock period at the beginning of next year :)

My BAD's ( Brush and Blade AD's ) are percolating........ Russian blades may be tough to get in the future, a Thater brush, maybe some more Tabac!!!
By the time you use up your 700 blades PPI will have replenished the market.
Thater brushes will still be available in January but I wonder why you would need one with all those boar brushes that see very little use.
Tabac will also be around in January too.

I was on the operational evaluation exercises for the USS Tarawa in early 1977. It was supposed to be able to deliver a Battalion of Marines from ship to shore in short order. Camp Pendleton was "attacked" many times while testing the ship's systems. There were initial problems with the well deck doors, the height of the conning tower and other items but I guess it all worked ultimately. I guess I am old now as that class of ship is pretty much out of service now. As I recall, we were either in the hold or on deck cleaning rifles or doing PT. I much prefer the cruise ships that we travel on in retirement now. Hard to remember that I was that young once. God bless the new generation that has taken up the torch.

Still in, barely!! I have filled various carts twice but then closed the tab on my browser!

I am stepping away from the computer, there must be chores the LOTH would prefer me to do!
Hi,

The best idea is to not look at anything. No looking equals no thoughts about new stuff. Any thoughts which just pop up while not looking, write them down for the end (or restock if you want to join again). If you still want any of it by then, go for it. :)

It's the time to sit and think on it which results in better buying habits. And, then you don't need a restraint. You join for the fun of it.

Stan

Hi,

The best idea is to not look at anything. No looking equals no thoughts about new stuff. Any thoughts which just pop up while not looking, write them down for the end (or restock if you want to join again). If you still want any of it by then, go for it. :)

It's the time to sit and think on it which results in better buying habits. And, then you don't need a restraint. You join for the fun of it.

Stan
Hey Stan, thanks for this. I did start a spreadsheet on what I have used and what I would buy again and that helps. Its written down in case I forget about it later!

Its also funny that as my AD's were flaring up, my exception came up!! I just got the email from Wolfman Razors!

Still in.
Back from a 2 week travelling holiday and reunited with my full den and stash of supplies. I've put away the Simpsons Chubby 2 Best badger brush, it just does not work for me. I have given up on the Simpsons Best and Pure grade altogether this year.

I have a renewed interest in straight razors after a few months of hiatus, so I unpacked a Thiers Issard 6/8 and performed ambidextrous 2 pass shave. The blade needed a bit work prior, so a few passes on 1-micron diamond pasted leather paddle did the trick. No bleeders or issues, a bit like riding a bike, once you've learned SR shaving it all comes back.

SOTD
Thiers Issard 6/8 feston spine.
Antica Barbiera Colla Almond preshave, cream, aftershave.
Simpson Tulip 3 Super.

Hey Stan, thanks for this. I did start a spreadsheet on what I have used and what I would buy again and that helps. Its written down in case I forget about it later!

Its also funny that as my AD's were flaring up, my exception came up!! I just got the email from Wolfman Razors!
Hi,

All Right! Exception! And, a really good one, too. Not the Lame-o Blades I chose! :p

Stan

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Gents,

I will pose a question here in the hopes that one of you will opine.

Traditionally, we have used a two week restock period. If I want to participate in the sabbatical next year as well, this is not enough for me. Unlike many, I don't have Way Too Much Stuff. I choose products at the beginning of the sabbatical, and use them throughout the year.

Thus the restock period is for me crucial. I need a few weeks to buy products, evaluate them, and then buy a bunch of my favorite.

Would there be opposition to lengthening the restock period to one month?

Two week restock has a nice ring to it. Enough time to browse and look and order but not a tonne of time. That said, the restock is for those who completed the previous purchase sabbatical and ideally should be rewarded for showing restraint. Personally, I'm fine either way (two vs four week) as it is only for those who complete the preceding sabbatical.

Top Bottom