What's new

2022 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek Season 2

Good luck to everyone participating in the 2022 sabbatical! Not trying to tempt anyone but here’s been my spoils the first couple weeks after a successful 2021 sabbatical: View attachment 1392176View attachment 1392178View attachment 1392180
If I’m not careful I’m going to end up back where I started! 😬😬 and lining up for the 2023 sabbatical. God speed and safe travels out there! I’ll be following along y’all’s journey!
Hi,

Nice restock! All I did was empty the half-bottle of Lubriderm under the sink into the less-than-half bottle of Lubridrem on the counter. The half-bottle under was the restock two years ago. Now there is only one. So, I suppose I know what I'm going buy next January. :p

For those who don't know, I use Lubriderm lotion as an after shave.

Stan

I'm still in if its cool with the gents here. One of my college age sons stopped by for dinner last night. Beef Stew...good stuff!! As usual, I loaded him up with left overs to take with him. I dropped the $1 pack of Walgreens razors in with everything else. So I'd like to consider that a PIF.

On a side note. This morning he texted me. He found the pack of razors last night when he was unpacking. He shaved with one this morning and reported it to be "total garbage". He then PIF'd the remaining 2 to his roomate...who hasnt shaved....ever.
Wow this is really turning into a saga. Please let us know with happens in the fate and journey of the last two razors. I’m so glad you are back in @snowman. Definitely a load off. 🙂

looks like the ship has already left the docking station so I'll play the home version with the intention of enjoying what i have vs coveting what others may have...best of luck to all of you. LLAP
Hi,

Since I was so tardy getting the thread started, I am letting folks join up thru the end of January as long as they have not purchased any shaving stuff since the new year began. Except for the crew from 2021 re-signing and they all get the first two weeks of the year for their restock as usual.

So, go ahead and join up. We are on post-repair shakedown and training until 1 Feb. So, just like the Navy, we're back into port on a regular basis before we head out on patrol. :)

Here is the list brought forward. Just copy and paste and add yourself and post. :) :)

#1 KQY61 - Exception: Pack of Med Preps
#2 CzechCzar - exception - Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream with Hyaluronic Acid for Extra-Dry Skin
#3 CJB3 - Exception: grail brush
#4 elmo_koffman - Exception: blades
#5 sjblon - Exception: Vintage razor
#6 Jim99 - exception: puck of Christmas soap
#7 ADudeandHisDogs: no exception
#8 02FLHTCI: Blackland Era
#9 EB Newfarm no exception
#10 Sotiris_A: a badger brush
#11 T.Orso: Lucky Tiger AS
#12 Angus MacAngus: 1969 Super Speed
#13 Jamesearthdrum: no exception
#14 Noodles: no exception
#15 Cafebarian: no exception
#16 Crisp Rat: Super Adjustable
#17 Pepin - Exception: vintage razor
#18 Hellboy - no exception
#19 Doorcube - Exception: Soap
#20 JeffJ - no exception
#21 snowman - no exceptions
#22 Chesty - no exception
#23 Benoni - Exception: Henson ti22
#24 tsimmns - no exception
#25 Lee93 - Exception: Tallow Tabac
#26 ShavingPanda - no exception
#27 GaryTha no exception
#28 Balin - exception Wolfman Razor
#29 Southern_S - Exception: Proraso White Preshave
#30 Wil_D no exceptions
#31 pdillon - exception: no exceptions
#32 Smooth and Sharp - a razor
#33 Thomas Darkblade - no exceptions
#34 byDoms - no exceptions
#35 wmadoty - no exceptions again
#36 kjbarth - no exception at this time
#37 mattps1 - no exception
#38 gdawg55 - exception: Lucky Tiger AS Tonic
#39 Invicta - no exception
#40 JAHE - exception: a razor
#41 AZBronco - exception Feather FHS10 blades
#42 4and20blackbirds - no exceptions
#43 Ruva - no exception
#44 Heron - exception one aftershave
#45 Whisky - no exception
#46 Barbarossa - A single puck of shaving soap.
#47 JoWolf - no exception
#48 JWCowboy - no exceptions other than Sue Moore Auction/BB Group Buys
#49 deafficianado - Blackland Era
# 50 B_R_A_D - Razor
# 51 MuhleShaver - no exception
#52 Esetter
#53 md1234 - no exception

Also, anyone can alter their exception as they wish until 1 Feb.

Stan - Still In

Still in.

2-pass head shave, S-N. Very smooth and efficient.

Soviet Rubin Adjustable - setting of 6
Gillette Minora Platinum (1)
Omega Boar
Stirling Bay Rum (getting close to 3017)

QlaHj8NnRYSagjOAVHTX3A.jpeg

#23 still in, this is more difficult than I thought!
Sure it is.

It might help to bring back to mind why you decided to enter in (prior to hitting the "buy now" button). I'm sure you had a good reason.

Remember, the majority of stuff will still be readily available next year.

Please don't get me wrong. I don't want to behave like a smart*ss. I even didn’t follow my own advice last year. So I know... it's tough. I hope I won't fail this year and to keep temptations under control.

Maybe you want to alter your exception if you chose the wrong one (you are allowed to, see post #228).

Stay strong.

Last edited:
Awesome .. when I joined 2 thanksgivings ago I bought samples from maggards and a few tubs. To this day I have not managed to finish the samples or more than 2-3 tubs. A combination of this thread and “use it like I stole it“ I hope to make a dent in my plastic storage box of “man stuff” hiding under the bed ;)

#1 KQY61 - Exception: Pack of Med Preps
#2 CzechCzar - exception - Neutrogena Hydro Boost Gel-Cream with Hyaluronic Acid for Extra-Dry Skin
#3 CJB3 - Exception: grail brush
#4 elmo_koffman - Exception: blades
#5 sjblon - Exception: Vintage razor
#6 Jim99 - exception: puck of Christmas soap
#7 ADudeandHisDogs: no exception
#8 02FLHTCI: Blackland Era
#9 EB Newfarm no exception
#10 Sotiris_A: a badger brush
#11 T.Orso: Lucky Tiger AS
#12 Angus MacAngus: 1969 Super Speed
#13 Jamesearthdrum: no exception
#14 Noodles: no exception
#15 Cafebarian: no exception
#16 Crisp Rat: Super Adjustable
#17 Pepin - Exception: vintage razor
#18 Hellboy - no exception
#19 Doorcube - Exception: Soap
#20 JeffJ - no exception
#21 snowman - no exceptions
#22 Chesty - no exception
#23 Benoni - Exception: Henson ti22
#24 tsimmns - no exception
#25 Lee93 - Exception: Tallow Tabac
#26 ShavingPanda - no exception
#27 GaryTha no exception
#28 Balin - exception Wolfman Razor
#29 Southern_S - Exception: Proraso White Preshave
#30 Wil_D no exceptions
#31 pdillon - exception: no exceptions
#32 Smooth and Sharp - a razor
#33 Thomas Darkblade - no exceptions
#34 byDoms - no exceptions
#35 wmadoty - no exceptions again
#36 kjbarth - no exception at this time
#37 mattps1 - no exception
#38 gdawg55 - exception: Lucky Tiger AS Tonic
#39 Invicta - no exception
#40 JAHE - exception: a razor
#41 AZBronco - exception Feather FHS10 blades
#42 4and20blackbirds - no exceptions
#43 Ruva - no exception
#44 Heron - exception one aftershave
#45 Whisky - no exception
#46 Barbarossa - A single puck of shaving soap.
#47 JoWolf - no exception
#48 JWCowboy - no exceptions other than Sue Moore Auction/BB Group Buys
#49 deafficianado - Blackland Era
# 50 B_R_A_D - Razor
# 51 MuhleShaver - no exception
#52 Esetter
#53 md1234 - no exception
#54 Avi - no exception

Lookin’ good gents! The list of participants just keeps growing!

If I may offer a piece of advice that worked for me. If this is your first year long sabbatical and you didn’t choose an exception, maybe consider it. It was extremely helpful to me last year knowing I could if I wanted to. Just cause you pick an exception doesn’t mean you have to use it.

Just my $0.02 take it or leave it. I want to see everyone make it to the end of the year successful! Good luck gents! Stay disciplined!

Hi,

Yep. If you are used to buying everything anyone waxes poetic about, you will find this restraint business to be....difficult.

Rule #1 is to quit looking. I don't mean quit reading posts. Just don't go to the sites where the goodies are sold. Stop looking at every single post in the BST.

As already said: It'll all be there next January.

Exceptions do help. Especially if you have a well-liked item and there may be a discontinuation of same during the year. Should that come to pass, you can get some more and Stay In.

Back in 2014, I set a second Fasan Red Dot DoubleSlant as my exception. They are hard to come by. I was concerned with having a second for a spare. But. I wanted off the merry-go-round of buying stuff. So, I thought about what was the most important item to still get and set that as my exception. Other years, I set other exceptions and never used them. This year, I can make it thru with the blades I have on hand. But. My wife also uses them and I may run out later on depending on her usage. So, I set the exception to cover that.

Stan - Still In

Hi,

OK. B&B Group Buys. They are always an automatic exception.

And, we have approval for one for Contributors: A Rudy Vey brush.

The details are being hashed out right now. Over in the Contributor's Corner forum.

But, you can't see the forum if you are not a Contributor. And you can't get In on the Group Buy if you are not a Contributor.

So, here I am suggesting that anyone interested go spend a few bucks to become a site contributor (if you haven't already) and also suggesting you spend some money on a brush if you are so inclined.

Hmm. I may have become a Darth Lord here. :p

Stan

Unfortunately the exception re: blade try out group activities generously hosted by @Grundi hasn't made it into the catalogue of exceptions this year. In 2021 it was in line with the rules to enter into such activities as long as one didn't receive more than 3 blades.

I don't intend to start a debate on the rules of 2022 GRUYERE, however, I wanted to mention these group activities were great fun (and one didn’t need to spend any money).

#40 still in.

First real update since I have started:

I have been very busy so far this January - busier than usual - so I have had less time to enjoy my shaves than usual. Wake up, shower shave with a cream, same balm as always, and then out the door.

I am one of those who did not join because I had way too much product, but rather, because I have found what I like and want to stick with it. Every one of the few new razors I bought last year were disappointing compared to my standard routine.

Bought a bunch of Speick Active creams and Nacet blades, and couple preshaves, and that was that.

The one soap I bought (bringing my total soaps collection to two) was B&M Nodost. I have only had time to use it once or twice, but it is very, very promising. I just have to find time to dial in my method. If, as has been said by others, it is so good a balm isn't even necessary, then that is one more unnecessary thing I will eliminate. All the better!

Top Bottom