What's new

2022 Gold Dollar Mod Competition Expressions of Interest

For the last several years we have started the Gold Dollar mod competition on May 1. For those of you who don't know modders take an inexpensive Gold Dollar 66 straight razor and turn it into something beautiful and shave-ready. On July 1 participants put their grinders down and show off their work. The populace of B&B then votes on the best modification. You can find the threads on previous year's competition here.

Gold Dollar 66 razors don't seem as plentiful as in the past. An Ebay search only finds two vendors advertising them. There is one US vendor that doesn't call his a 66 but if you look carefully at his pictures that's what he is selling, for $12.99. Someone posted back in February about finding one for $4, shipping included. So, they are out there.

Participation has slowed in recent years. In 2022 we only had one entrant. Is there anyone out there who may want to give this a try this year? It doesn't matter if you have done one before or are completely new at this. If there is interest we'll run the competition. If not then maybe its time has passed. Please respond to this thread if you want to give it a go.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If anyone has a spare factory GD66 I could purchase I’d be willing to enter the competition.
You in CONUS? I might have your solution.

You will probably destroy the first one, either from overheating or just plain shattering it into shrapnel. So I would send you two of them, free, if you like. Just paypal me whatever the postage is when you get the package and we are square. I am out of 66, though. I do have some unmarked P81 blades without scales that I bought for a future possible rebranding project, and I can send you two of them, or else a couple of Gold Monkeys. Postage should be under $5 when it is all said and done. I can't sell them here cause no vendor tag plus I am on indefinite selling sabbatical, and it's chimp change, anyway.

Not sure if the Gold Monkeys would be allowed, actually, even though they are made by Gold Dollar in their factory. But I think the P81 blades would be excellent, and they are true Gold Dollars. I think the only 66 models I have are the two or three in my rotation.

You will probably destroy the first one, either from overheating or just plain shattering it into shrapnel. So I would send you two of them, free, if you like. Just paypal me whatever the postage is when you get the package and we are square. I am out of 66, though. I do have some unmarked P81 blades without scales that I bought for a future possible rebranding project, and I can send you two of them, or else a couple of Gold Monkeys. Postage should be under $5 when it is all said and done. I can't sell them here cause no vendor tag plus I am on indefinite selling sabbatical, and it's chimp change, anyway.

Not sure if the Gold Monkeys would be allowed, actually, even though they are made by Gold Dollar in their factory. But I think the P81 blades would be excellent, and they are true Gold Dollars. I think the only 66 models I have are the two or three in my rotation.
Thanks for making this offer Slash! I don't know anything about Gold Monkeys but I'm glad to see anything that inspires someone to do a great mod.

Yes I am in CONUS.

The P81 blades sound good if you can spare them.

I'll PM you my details.

Really appreciate the help :thumbsup:

Top Bottom