What's new

2021ers?

Do you guys feel like you are settling in on your favourite gear? I went a bit nuts in my first 6 months looking for 'better' gear for more comfortable shaves accumulating way too many soaps and razors, vintage and modern alike! Lately I have really only been rotating between 3-4 razors and have been using a soap a month at a time and my shaves are comfortable and predictable now.

Do you guys feel like you are settling in on your favourite gear?
Kinda yes, kinda no. But I didn't go as nuts as most folks here to begin with, I started with a Henson mild and used it exclusively for a few months. Bought a medium, aggressive, and Lupo, liked the medium best, and used that for a few months. Now that my technique has improved a little bit, I've recently revisited the other 3, and have listed the mild and Lupo, and may do the same with the aggressive soon.

So kinda yes... but then I recently acquired a Blackland Era and a Fatip Piccolo to try out, and there's 2-3 others I want to try if I see them come up on BST, as they were recommended by members who have similar tastes as me. But that's a short and focused list, and I don't expect to add much if anything to it, though I don't want to say "never".

Brushes, yes, I've settled on a favorite daily driver and a travel brush. Soaps yes, I have 4-5 favorites that I'll eventually rotate, but it'll take me awhile to use up some others I have.

Blades not really, I have a couple of favorites, but I figure I need to settle on a razor(s) before I really dig in there, since the pairing is supposedly important.

So what gear are your favorites that you're settling on, @Balin? And anyone else too? 😀

Do you guys feel like you are settling in on your favourite gear? I went a bit nuts in my first 6 months looking for 'better' gear for more comfortable shaves accumulating way too many soaps and razors, vintage and modern alike! Lately I have really only been rotating between 3-4 razors and have been using a soap a month at a time and my shaves are comfortable and predictable now.
I know I have consolidated and minimized quite a bit. After trying or purchasing about 12 razors over the past two years, I really only use 2 to 3 of them now. The criteria are about comfort and ease of use in providing a reasonably quick and close 2 pass shave with either a simple hand-applied cream (Barbasol, Cremo or Speick) or when time allows a brush-lathered cream or soap. The winners for me are the Leaf Twig and the RazoRock Game Changer. I am still evaluating the Schick J type but will likely use that one too.

The same has been true for brushes, which I don't always use. Purchased 5 and use only 4 and no temptation to try anything else. Honestly, I could get by with only one or 2 at most and will likely do that. Winners are the Proraso/Omega Boar and the RR Bruce synthetic.

I have only met a few soaps or creams that I don't like. That being the case, I will likely base future purchases on convenience and cost.

I do like some variety in aftershaves. The good news is that I like all of the ones available in drugstores near me (Pinaud Clubman, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, Old Spice, Nivea and Duke Cannon) and just a few favorites from Europe (Speick and Tabac).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For me, almost a year into traditional wet shaving.... Tomorrow is my first day using a DE razor.. and the 18th will be my first day using a Single Edge AC razor... then March 1st. one year on B&B... my buying frenzies and subsequent selling frenzies are over.

I've settled into 6 razors that all work extremely well for me... and several unscented soaps that was wonderful. I love my SV Manchurian brushes more than any of my others, but still have a few boars and synths around that are very nice as well and two additional lower cost badgers.

It's a nice feeling.... getting comfortable, smooth, relaxing yet close shaves. That is my "goal" for 2023, I guess. Enjoying the fertile valley of wet shaving. I have a few varieties of blades that all seem to work for me. I suppose as the year progresses and I use them more times, I might end up with a favorite DE blade but at the moment, other than one dud blade, they have all been excellent.

I am really nerding out this year! I am keeping a spreadsheet of my shaves so I can track what I am actually using and what I can part with! I should have real data at the end of the year of what I am actually using!

My gut tells me, I have settled on:

Modern Razors: My Wolfmen!
Vintage Razors: New RFB and Flat bottom tech
Blades: I have 1500 spread over many brands, so no real favourite there yet but also no need to get any more!
Soaps: Tabac just seems to work! I still have to try MWF but B&M works really well too.
A/S: I use the same as my soap. I am not really a mix and match kind of guy.
Brushes: They are my Achilles heel. I am liking dense 3 band badger in the 22-24 knot size lately.

It will be interesting to see what I really use by the end of the year.!

I've settled into 6 razors that all work extremely well for me... and several unscented soaps that was wonderful.
What are they? I've read some of your recent journal and know a couple but not all. (Seems B&B changed something a few weeks ago and journals now show up under New Posts, which is nice, since that's how I browse B&B.)

What I'm settling on, btw, since I didn't say:

Razor: Henson medium (still to try: Era, Piccolo; interested in: Blackbird original/lite, Overlander, maybe High Proof)
Brush: G5C, travel-size STF (but a Wald A1 is really tempting me)
Soap: Captain's Choice cream, Southern Witchcraft, Mama Bear (still want to try Stirling and Hendrix Classic)
Aftershave: Stirling unscented menthol or glacial

BOSC Statistics:

I scrolled through my paper shaving notes and took stock of which razor I used when from July 2022 up to and including January 2023. This is my top 5:
  1. Fatip SE / Fatip SB (19%)
  2. Gillette Flat Bottom Tech (17%)
  3. Razorine Flatboy / Mühle R41 (14%)
  4. Timeless Ti95 (12%)
  5. Gillette NEW Flat Bottom (6%)
Not all razors were part of my collection in equally long periods so relatively speaking some have more mileage than others in this top 5.

This information helps me to select razors for February and March. I do not see a particular need yet to let razors go also bearing in mind that a number of them were gifts from either family or fellow brothers.

Soaps I tend to rotate - well too much actually so I have been more deliberate about using soaps for a constructive number of times. Proraso is still an all time favourite with Mike’s Barbershop coming in second or maybe first at the moment. And MWF is a class of its own.

Brushes - pretty much settled in. Maybe one addition but other than that I am fine.

Blades - I think I have favourites sorted out. And I think I need more blades of these favourites!

Guido

I am a year into serious safety razor shaving. I had a couple flings with it over the years, Using one razor and one soap and getting good enough I could get a solid, nick-free shave. This time I completely dove in with the intent of trying a ton of razors. I still have many I haven't tried yet. This is what I wanted to do for fun, but it does come at the expense of other things, like perfecting one's technique with a single setup. It is also quite frustrating to pick up a new razor and have a bad shave. I could make it easier on myself by not doing that, but hobbies are often frustrating, right? So, eventually I'll likely slow down and probably narrow my rotation. I might sell of some, but I could keep them around for fun and occasional use if I get in the mood.

I didn't think I'd do much for brushes and soap, but I have done a bit. After discovering I was lathering very poorly, I found some better soaps and a couple synthetic brushes that work for me. I'm now just trying to figure out what scents I like and that will be the end of those two rabbit holes.

I settled into blades pretty quickly and have 3 go-to options and have a good stock of those. I don't think I'll need to experiment much more, but do have a variety I haven't tried yet. But instead of that, I am sticking with a couple known blades and varying the razors.

I guess I just passed my 2 year anniversary of wet shaving last week without really noticing it!

I still haven't really settled in with my gear, but I am glad to be in the year long sabbatical to help me sort it out.

I have finished a few soaps this year, ruled out some razor blades and am happy with my stable of razors.

Brushes, though, I could keep going.... lol!

Don't just tease us, @Balin! What are your top razors, blades, soaps, brushes??? What have you learned to improve your technique? We wanna know! :)
I went through my spreadsheet for this year and it looks like my top 3's in each category are:

Razors: Wolfman WR1 .74 OC, WR1 .67 OC and WR2 1.15 OC
Brushes: Shavemac D01 3 band 22/46, Paladin Contributors Brush and Simpsons Classic 2 Super
Soaps: Macduffs Soap Company, B&M Omnibus Base and Tabac
Blades: Its tough to say because I have been trying to use up my open tucks. Nacets, Wizamets and the Rubie's but that may change again, lol.

As for technique, I still do a slow razor rotation, using the same razor for at least a week at the time. It takes me a couple of shaves to dial in a razor. I seem to be doing better with a 2 pass shave now, even with my milder razors. I rarely get nicks or weepers anymore and if I do its usually because I am rushing. My shower and shave routine has become faster. I can be in and out of the bathroom in 20-30 mins comfortably!

Congrats, @Balin! I started in mid-August I think. Great kit you've got - 3 Wolfmans! (Wolfmen? Chrome's spell checker prefers Wolfmen.)

I was hoping to be more settled in on gear, but got a mild case of RAD at the start of the year and I'm still sorting through that. I'm down to 2 favorite brushes, but I want to pick up 1 more. Soaps, I have a few favorites, but need to finish some of what I have before I buy any more. I could very easily go on a soap buying spree and end up with more than I'll ever use!

I think today marks 2 years of DE shaving for me, maybe give or take a couple days.

I haven't really settled in with my gear either, but hope to get there in year 3. The only new razor still on my radar to try out is a Tatara. It's got really good blade clamping, which I've found to be the most important feature in a razor for me. I do think I'm there with brushes. One that I've been hemming and hawing about for ages now showed up on BST the other day so I jumped on it and just received it today. I only have 3, but have no desire to acquire any others, though of course reserve the right to change my mind. 🙂 Soaps, there are still some I want to try, but I have a lot to use up already. My technique still isn't great, but as it's slowly improved, my blade preference has gotten sharper. I'm planning to spend more effort exploring blades once I settle on a top razor or 2, but I'm holding off until then since the pairing seems to be important.

Lists are fun, so I'll follow @Balin's lead with my top 3's...

Razors: Henson AL13 medium, Henson AL13 mild*, Karve Overlander
Brushes: Wald A1 deep sea nimbus, AP Shave 24mm G5C night sky rocket engine, Mühle 19mm STF classic black
Soaps/creams: Southern Witchcrafts (Desairology, several others), Captain's Choice cream (sandalwood, Nor'easter), Mama Bear (dragon's blood)
Blades: Nacet, Indian Wilkinson Sword, Wizamet
Aftershaves: Stirling balm (unscented menthol, unscented glacial), Nivea balm (sensitive), Southern Witchcrafts splash (Desairology, several others)

*I sold the mild because I was unlikely to use it again as long as I have the medium. Next favorite would be Le Maurice 1.0 SB that I tried in the passaround, or of the ones I actually own, probably the Winning right now.

Top Bottom