What's new

2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek

Captain's log, Stardate 6921.2: The mysterious, sudden death of a crewman during our routine mission on planet M-113 is being investigated by Doctor McCoy and Mr. Spock.

1628783208187.png

1628783254008.png

1628783546218.png

To be continued...

Stardate 121227.4
Timeless SS .68 Scalloped
Personna Platinum Chrome
Fine Platinum
WCS 26mm Silvertip badger (not pictured)

SWS_20210815.jpg

Today's shave was good enough to make me think about putting price tags on several of my razors. I paired the Timeless with a titanium RR HALO handle and it was a totally different experience. I feel a lot of the credit should also go to the blade (thanks @Kealon7) because it was the smoothest of any fresh-out-of-the-pack blade I've ever used. It was just a wonderful start to the day.

I can't believe there's only a little more than 4 months remaining in this trek. My month of distractions seem to be working to keep the temptations at bay so I plan to continue. Currently participating in All Aventus August with SEptember/Slantember on the horizon. I will only use open-comb razors in October and Gillette G4s (1961) in November. And then DecemBoar to close out the year. Done!

I've been adding and removing items from my wish list for the restock period in January. I'm down to two brushes and one razor handle. I'm considering trying an electric for head shaves, but I still have 4 months to decide. And I committed earlier this year to finance any new purchases with sales of existing gear and the funds have already been allocated. I love it when a plan comes together :cool:

Crewman #13 still in...

Kind of quiet around here- Still in.
Speaking for myself... I think the shock of the initial plunge has pretty much worn off and now I'm just treading water until the end of the year. I find myself to be more annoyed than interested in any potential purchases. I'm enjoying my shaving gear, my wish list continues to shrink, and there are no temptations on the horizon.

I've recently removed the two brushes from my list that I had planned to buy during the restock period. I've decided neither of them is actually better than anything I currently have; only different. And if I buy them, that just means more time between using my current favorites. The razor handle is still in the shopping cart because its weight and grip may actually improve the shave I get from one of my favorites. Besides, after a full year of the sabbatical the handle will be my reward as well as a constant reminder of the accomplishment. Life is good!

Crewman #13 still in...

Last edited:
Sorry, folks, I'm out! I did succeed in 2020 and made it almost eight months in 2021. There was a deal I could not refuse on a Semogue SOC finest badger brush, brand new, for about 1/3 of retail price! I kind of treewhaled at that point with some Tabac tallow refills, Cella Bio and some aftershave! I will try to join in some of the monthly GRUMEs later this year, and I'll continue to cheer you all on from the sidelines.

Sorry, folks, I'm out! I did succeed in 2020 and made it almost eight months in 2021. There was a deal I could not refuse on a Semogue SOC finest badger brush, brand new, for about 1/3 of retail price! I kind of treewhaled at that point with some Tabac tallow refills, Cella Bio and some aftershave! I will try to join in some of the monthly GRUMEs later this year, and I'll continue to cheer you all on from the sidelines.
I'm sorry you're out, but that was one heckuva deal. Congratulations on the score!

Over a 1 1/2 years of restraint is very impressive! I can't blame on you on a great deal on a SOC you wanted, treewhale away!

Top Bottom