What's new

2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek

...Glad I joined this group, it helps a lot in resisting. Today shaved with my 3$ Tech and it convinced me that I don't need a 150$ razor...

1614252339404.png

You know, I really like that Klingon bowl. Very nice. Good thing I already have a couple of nice shave bowls or I would be tempted to try to get one from a traveling merchant.

1614252753775.png

Is anyone keeping a list?

Here's mine so far:

Software
Barrister and Mann Bay Rum soap
OPR Sandalwood soap (for Pre-Shave)

Hardware
More Astra SS double edge razor blades (I think I have enough to get me through the year, but if not...I will live.)
RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72
RazoRock Lupo SS DC .95 SB/.72 OC

Towards the end of this sabbatical, I'm going to put together a PIF to help clear out the things I'd prefer not to use anymore.

I too have a list, sometimes stuff gets added, sometimes they are removed from it.

My (hit) list :

Razor : (One from each set)

> Karve SS with B, C, D plates in OC/ Timeless SS 0.95 OC/ Blackland Blackbird SS

> RR Hawk V3 OC/ Feather Artist Club

Brush : In no specific order -

Semogue SOC Badger, Semogue Mistura, Zenith Munchurian 24/ 26 mm, A good synthetic brush 24/ 26 mm, Shavemac 24/ 26 mm.

Soap :

I'm more than happy with what I have, there is no specific want for any soap.

I have enough Soap to last me about a 1000 shaves (atleast), so going for anymore will be unhealthy (Yeah, I just realised that).

Pre shave / Aftershave :

I don't use any preshave, and have enough aftershave for the year, so no temptation in this category.

Blades :

Fellow members have given me enough blades, that I'll be busy testing them out for the entire year (it's true).

SOTD (056/2021)
25-02-2021

>> B&B's Shave Roulette<<
20210225_114001-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo 28/58 Synthetic
Soap: Barrister and Mann ~ Nordost
Razor: Mühle R89
Blade: Gillette Wilkinson Sword Germany (3)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS, witch hazel and psb.

Finally, a sharp blade. I'm glad that the spin in B&B's shave roulette did call for a german Wilkinson Sword, one of favourite blades. The shave with this blade 's been an indulgence... the level of comfort has been just day and night to yesterday's shave.

JAHE - still in.

Still in
Had a lot of temptations this week. Was close to buy a Timeless and an Oumo brush on sale. I really don't need more brushes, that's my biggest temptation every few weeks. Glad I joined this group, it helps a lot in resisting. Today shaved with my 3$ Tech and it convinced me that I don't need a 150$ razor. I also try to read all the reviews of the people having the razor and not using it anymore for x reason or because they found something better.
I can't say after this sabbatical I won't buy a razor but I really don't want to buy more brushes even after this sabbatical except if 2-3 breaks.
After the sabbatical, so far my list is :
1 green Aftershave
1 rose Aftershave
Blades ( probably Bic chrome platinum )

I have that razor and am really impressed with it. Even with the plastic handle it shaves terrific. Every time I use it I am floored by how great a shave I get with my three dollar razor. I have even considered getting a couple more so I would not have to worry about this one breaking, crazy I know.

This razor was one of three razors I considered for the FFFMM challenge. I only selected the Baili because of some comments made in another thread I was reading, now I am starting to wish I had picked this one. Great razor at any price and wonderful for $3.00!!!

I have that razor and am really impressed with it. Even with the plastic handle it shaves terrific. Every time I use it I am floored by how great a shave I get with my three dollar razor. I have even considered getting a couple more so I would not have to worry about this one breaking, crazy I know.

This razor was one of three razors I considered for the FFFMM challenge. I only selected the Baili because of some comments made in another thread I was reading, now I am starting to wish I had picked this one. Great razor at any price and wonderful for $3.00!!!
Still time to switch and Im still considering it, to try something different then my daily driver for a full month.

Liking the Black and White photo a lot!! I have been following the saga of JAHE's last blade as I start to think of blades that I would consider if I ever get to the end of the backlog that I have. I have a few Astra's left, a good supply of Polsiver Super Iridium, many Personna Lab Blue, and a batch of Crystals and Voshkod. One outcome of sabbatical has been that I am becoming more conscious of razor and blade pairings. I am also becoming much more aware of the contribution that a brush can make. A little shampoo has resurrected brushes that I had given up on. No need for me to buy anything but I can dream!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Minor wobble, and had to do a slight course correction today. A Simpson Case in Best nearly got ordered. I managed to talk myself out of it this time, but it was definitely a close call.

I've predominantly moved to synthetic, but do like a natural hair brush for a good scrubby feel occasionally. I have an Omega Mixed Midget that I've been trying to descritch, but it's been occasional use only, and has felt quite futile at times. I've never owned a badger brush, and felt the gravitational pull towards that Simpson Case for its small diameter knot and short loft.

I caught myself though, and steered myself away. I've had decent results with cheap boars in the past, and told myself that another 10051 would suffice if I was forced that route. I do already have one of those that I stopped using because it was shedding, but shedding due to continual use and never getting chance to dry properly. Since stopping using it, and letting it fully dry, it's now functional again. So I don't need to buy anything, as I do have one brush here which would give me ingrown freeing scrub without unpleasant scritch.

It was a near miss, but no harm done, and a reminder not to let distractions get in the way of the mission ahead.

Still in.

I took a break from shaving (but not from restraint) and the joy of shaving is renewed.

I've found the sweet zone for the RR BBS razor again, and I'm reminded that it delivers a very relaxing and enjoyable shave.

SOC is looking better every time, soon it's break-in process will be complete enough to bring it into rotation.

IMG_20210226_134329.jpg

SOTD (057/2021)
25-02-2021

20210226_090130-01-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2-band finest badger
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street Platinum Collection
Razor: Razorock Gamechanger 0.84 Jaws
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (9)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Nivea Fluid AS.

Recently I got the information (provided by a better imformed B&B member) that my favorite shaving cream TOBS Platinum is discontinued and therefore will not be produced anymore. :frown1:

Fortunately I am already well stocked with this particular cream. If that had not been the case, this (for me) sad development would probably have led me strongly tempted to repurchase this cream and to fail the sabbatical.

Glad I didn't had to.

JAHE - still in.

Still in and plucking away. After two months, I can say that this sabbatical has made me more aware of my brushes and soaps. I picked up Cella during the restock and have really come to like it. Rotating that with Proraso Red and PDP #63 has shown some differences. I started face lathering at the beginning of the year and have stuck with that. Getting better at adding the right amount of water has brought something out of each of these soaps. At one point I was tempted to break out and buy a high end brush. During the research, I found an article about brush maintenance and cleaning. When I gave my current brushes a decent cleaning and adopted better daily maintenance, I started noticing performance that I have not been aware of. My Semogue 830 was a frequent shedder but has stopped after a good shampoo and proper drying. I put the the Parker Best back in rotation and have come to like it. It has a nice, heavy handle that feels good. I found a way to bend a coat hanger to create a drying a rack so I can complete sabbatical without spending on that. Given the resurrection of my current brushes, the thought of purchasing a new one loses momentum.
Today's shave was Cella in a repurposed TOBS bowl, B3 Flair Tip Super Speed with a Personna Lab Blue. Semogue 830 Boar and Blackstone Sandalwood Balm. I've had this Balm for 3 years ($3.99 at TJMAX) and hope to use it up this year. This time I remember to upload the picture:

27Feb2021.jpg

Tried my new Zenith brush again today, this time with Haslinger Schafmilch. Again, I am impressed by the backbone in these bristles. This is one stiff brush! Even so, the tips are soft, and face lathering the Schafmilch was a luxurious experience, as ever.

An O ring on the handle is an improvement, smoothing the edges.

589B3BA9-A383-4F39-8088-7CB3D27AF31D.jpeg

SOTD (058/2021)
27-02-2021

20210227_094915-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura Boar/Badger
Soap: Proraso Azur Lime SC
Razor: Mühle R41
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (4)
Post shave: frigid tap water, Proraso Azur Lime AS.

JAHE - still in.

Still in. SOTD
Razor: Gillette Mach 3 turbo
Brush: RR 400 MB
Soap & A/S: CC Nor’easter
Needed to get out of the house fast this morning, so thought I would try the cart. Fast shave yes, good shave? Meh. Ended up with some razor burn and some irritation, that’s why I got the balm out. I should have just used my Karve with an Astra SS blade. (I can fly with that combo with no risk). Have a great day y’all!
3D39BDFC-84CD-4608-838E-A2E8E7505019.jpeg

Top Bottom