What's new

2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek

Introducing the 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Year's End RElief

Join the members of the Badger & Blade community for the 11th annual Shave Purchase Sabbatical, held since 2010. Remembering all those who were successful, those who are still toughing it out, those who signed up, and those who fell to temptation, @Pepin presents to you, the Badger and Blade 2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical, aka The Gentlemanly Restraint Until Year's End RElief thread.

This year's GRUYERE storyline will be Shave Trek – To Boldly Go Where No Razor Has Gone Before. The theme will be a parody based on that classic 1960’s television show Star Trek.

Shave-Trek - To Boldly Go Where No Razor Has Gone Before

Captain Diego Tiberius Archon sighed and put down the digital tablet with the manifest he had been reviewing. Pushing back his chair away from the desk he leaned back, looked around his office, the polished desk, the commendations on the wall, holo-images of him and military officials. He enjoyed his life in the Intergalactic Service, the travel, adventure, and danger, made him feel alive. So many interesting characters he had met in his years, and shortly the next new mission will begin.

The loading of supplies and cargo will be completed shortly, and then the E.S.S. (Earth Spaceship) Superspeed will be set for its year long mission. To further explore the galaxies, search out new and exotic worlds. Interacting with strange new aliens and cultures, spreading razor and shaving technology as they go. In his mind he reviewed his crew, they had all served under him for many years.

Lieutenant Yvonne “Starburst” Damaskeene, Communications Chief, and in charge of The Triskelion Grotto, the ships Tiki Bar. Even in space people need to relax and unwind.

Chief Engineer Harcove “Big Fellow” Mudd in charge of the ships propulsion systems and all matters mechanical and electrical.

First Officer Sisalik, a science expert from a different world. The lizard-like population had lived for eons on their dry sub-tropical planet. Technology has always been their strong suit.

Chief Medical Officer Dr. Jim “Slim” Hatfield in charge of the crew’s health and general well being.

Sub-Lieutenant Fenton Schick in charge of the navigational duties of the ship. He also ran the ships sensors.

Chief Petty Officer Vladimir “The Dandy” Andropovich in charge of security and tactics. Travel through out the galaxy can be dangerous with so many unknown factors.

And of course, the crew. While many had served with distinction, and still do, several had also passed in the line of duty. Some had come to regard the red shirts of their uniform as a cursed colour, others as a badge of honour. This time there would be enough crew to counter what ever they came across.

Will you take up the 2021 GRUYERE quest and see if you can succeed in the year-long sabbatical as you travel the galaxy exploring new worlds, or will aliens, mysterious strangers, mechanical issues, sabotage waylay you on your travels. Pick up the gauntlet of adventure and don the red shirt of the Intergalactic Service.

The sabbatical is open to all ascetics, gluttons, minimisers', denizens of the doghouse, hecklers, reformed treewhalers, Darth Lords, trolls, and folks with nothing better to do. We're all about cheap thrills in the sabbatical. Cure your _ADs ("blank" acquisition disorder), prime your 3017 campaign, learn your current setup, enjoy what you've got, protect your paychecks: we walk many paths on the same road.

New to restraint? The ground rules are simple: You don't purchase shaving related goods for a calendar year (12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days, 525,600 minutes). We start when 2020 becomes 2021, and we end when 2021 becomes 2022. It is not for the faint of heart, the Rules cover a wide area, to help with the goal of saving money. We are all here to save money, to stop filling every nook and cranny of our humble abode with shaving related items.

The Rules
1. Read all of the rules. From #1 through to and including number 16.
2. Start and end time are based on your local time zone.
3. Gentlemanly Restraint is restricted to all items related to shaving and the shaving hobby; though you can avoid other purchases as well.
4. No purchases of anything to do with shaving are allowed during the restraint period. NONE. No purchases even if you get a gift card to WCS, ebay,
Amazon, etc. If you need something you may trade for it; that's why you are a part of a community that can help you out. This also means that you
have enough stuff to see out about 12 months of shaving.
5. Gifts. You cannot ask for, solicit, hint at, etc., gifts in any way.
6. PIFs. You may OFFER PIFs (including associated shipping costs), but the PIF excludes those B&B members who are part of the annual sabbatical. You
may not enter or request a PIF.
7. To clarify, not buying anything means not spending money (or redeeming gift cards) on shaving goods, period. This includes blades, cream, soap,
brushes, scuttles, any type of cartridge, aftershave, stone, strop, lapping film, scuttle water heater, kettle for the bathroom, shaving related books,
pictures, knick-knacks and on and on. You get the idea. You spent money on it? You haven't shown restraint. *
8. Plan your year carefully. Think ahead to make sure you have the razors, blades, soaps, creams, aftershaves, scuttles, towels, travel gear, dopp bags
etc. for the next twelve months. If you travel, pick up a couple of the dreaded disposables. You can always ask before the start if you are not sure
how much you will go through.
9.You must check-in on the 2021 GRUYERE thread during the specific times listed
March 29th to April 7th​
June 28th through to July 7th​
September 27th through to October 6th​
January 1st through to January 10th 2022​
10. However, at other times please feel free to post and let us know how you are doing in your goal of abstaining.
11. If a shaving item breaks in the restraint and you have no backup handy, one replacement may be purchased as an exception (example if the knot
comes out of your brush when traveling, a cheap brush or superglue to fix broken brush is deemed acceptable in the 2021 restraint). Forgetting
to pack your gear does not count, that will put you out.
12. The fine print on the grey areas: Functional maintenance, such as straight razor honing, does not count as a purchased good. Since we're
all gentlemen here, we leave it up to you to decide if PIF purchases for others count as purchases.
13. Gifts you receive are also dicey. Because these and other fuzzy areas may pop up, let's agree to be gentlemanly in our appraisal of still in or
knocked out. In other words, you're in until you say "I'm out" and you're out if you spent money! If you buy something, announce what you
bought so we can get our vicarious thrills at your expense and strike you from the list in an exciting chapter of our ongoing storyline.
14. Only if you succeeded in the 2020 Sabbatical, you have from January 1-14, 2021 as restock window.
15. If you have to ask for clarification, you probably should not be doing it.
16. Read rule number 1.

Group exceptions:
  • ALL Badger and Blade branded items including B&B Group Buys
  • Sue Moore Memorial Auction items
  • Badger and Blade contributor badge

*Oscar Wilde Clause ("Everything in moderation, including moderation"): If you elect to do so, you may state one specific personal exception when you sign up. The personal exception is a onetime one item purchase (one razor, or one soap, or one box of blades). You can also use the Bingle Buddy Gift Exchange as your exception.

What say you? Are you in?!

Lets start off the new sabbatical year. Let's get the party started!!!! Simply copy and paste the current list and add your name to the bottom. Please state your ONE exception

Joining me in helping run and organize the Shave Trek are: kevdogg329, JAHE, and Invicta. Thank you very much for your help and guidance.

Participants for the 2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical: The Gentlemanly Restraint Until Year's End RElief

#1 Pepin – Exception: vintage razor
#2 kevdogg329 – Exception: Razorock XXX
#3 JAHE - Exception: Rex Ambassador
#4 Invicta

I am packed and ready to go. Request permission to come aboard sir.

Participants for the 2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical: The Gentlemanly Restraint Until Year's End RElief

#4 Invicta
#5 sjblon - Exception: None

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

#4 Invicta
#6 CzechCzar - exception tbd

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

[

#4 Invicta
#7 GaryTha - no exceptions.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?

#4 Invicta
#8 martym - No Exceptions

#4 Invicta - No exception

#9 T.Orso - no exception

#9 T.Orso - no exception
#10 byDoms - no exception

#9 T.Orso - no exception
#11 KQY61 - no exception

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Beam me aboard...I'm in!

#9 T.Orso - no exception
#11 KQY61 - no exception
#12 JCarr - No exceptions

Sigh, I will probably not join this year. I am likely to complete the 2020 sabbatical (my 5th in a row) and really don't need any more stuff. I am currently 655 shaves into a block of Vitos and will not finish it until sometime in 2023. I have plenty of other supplies to easily last through 2021 and I also like the theme.

Unfortunately, I am interested in figuring out how to use and maintain my straights and will need to purchase some supplies (lapping film and maybe some pastes, balsa, ...) I could grab this stuff during the restock, but at this time I don't know what I really need. I would much prefer to purchase one thing and learn to use it and let that be my guide of what else I need next (if anything at all). This method does not fit within the constraints of the sabbatical and I prefer to not commit knowing that at some point in time I will drop out. I will follow along and watch the story unfold. I am kind of bummed about breaking my streak but I really want to become self sufficient in maintaining my straights and not be dependent on sending them out periodically.

Also, rule #1 is very important this year as some of the rules are new of different from years past.

#9 T.Orso - no exception
#11 KQY61 - no exception
#13 bjm - no exception

#9 T.Orso - no exception
#11 KQY61 - no exception
#13 bjm - no exception
#14 henrickd - No exception

Ficus - that's a typo, right? Or did you intend to be named after a fruit? Lol
Semper fidelis, brother Stan!

Hi,

Nope. Ficus it is. Or, Gene/Jean maybe. Just not Andy (the robot).

There was a parody of Star Trek and Star Wars back in the late 70s called Quark. Quark was Kirk and Ficus was a plant-based humanoid alien and filled the Spock role. Gene/Jean kept flopping from being male to female and back.

Andy just didn't work right at all - like a bad copy of the Lost In Space robot or maybe C3PO.

The show was funny, but only a summer fill-in. The best part was the Barnstable Twins playing Betty and a clone of Betty and fighting over who was the original and who was the clone. :p

Stan - Still In and we haven't even begun yet!

Sigh, I will probably not join this year. I am likely to complete the 2020 sabbatical (my 5th in a row) and really don't need any more stuff. I am currently 655 shaves into a block of Vitos and will not finish it until sometime in 2023. I have plenty of other supplies to easily last through 2021 and I also like the theme.

Unfortunately, I am interested in figuring out how to use and maintain my straights and will need to purchase some supplies (lapping film and maybe some pastes, balsa, ...) I could grab this stuff during the restock, but at this time I don't know what I really need. I would much prefer to purchase one thing and learn to use it and let that be my guide of what else I need next (if anything at all). This method does not fit within the constraints of the sabbatical and I prefer to not commit knowing that at some point in time I will drop out. I will follow along and watch the story unfold. I am kind of bummed about breaking my streak but I really want to become self sufficient in maintaining my straights and not be dependent on sending them out periodically.

Also, rule #1 is very important this year as some of the rules are new of different from years past.

Hi,

What happened to the small cost parts of SR maintenance being an exception? I can see not buying a pile of stones during, but since sending them out for maintenance is OK, the small cost supplies ought to be as well, as needed. Especially as those needs change as one learns how to actually perform the maintenance.

Stan

Top Bottom