What's new

2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek

Still in...still 3017ing my AoS Lavender soap from seven years ago. This soap is mediocre at best and extremely finicky. It was my first soap that started my DE shaving adventure, my wife lovingly bought it for me. However, I wouldn't buy this soap again in the future, especially for the price point. I can only get it to work consistently with a synthetic brush and have to load it for about 90 seconds with a mostly dry brush. The shaves produced are decent, but there are so many better, less expensive soaps out there. I believe it's a Klingon ploy to make me spend copious amounts of time lathering when I could be doing other things. Blasted Klingons! :)

SS Enterprise.JPG Ship's log; 37% of the mission completed. Crewman @md1234 has retired from the mission.
SPS2021-16may.JPG

Latest casualty report follows.

Lieutenant md1234 was lost while exploring a previously unknown artificial planet built by the Kalandan civilization. He was killed instantly by cellular disruption from the planet's defense system.

casualty-disr-4e.png

casualty-disr-5e.png

casualty-disr-2e.png

All casualty reports are now up-to-date.

Last edited:
Latest casualty report follows.

Lieutenant md1234 was lost while exploring a previously unknown artificial planet built by the Kalandan civilization. He was killed instantly by cellular disruption from the planet's defense system.

View attachment 1267318

View attachment 1267319

View attachment 1267317

All casualty reports are now up-to-date.

"I'm for you, md1234" was a great touch, lol.

:jump:

@md1234 I hope Lea brings you great shaves and smiles, @Atlantic59 's post has definitely made me smile.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🧐 Per the original episode, if you guys had just crowded around md1234, you could gave kept that Lea soap-monster away!

🤔 At least when the Horta burned up your other crewman there was nothing you could do...

Space travel - and shaving - are not without dangers. Yet a universe of wonder(ous shave products) awaits discovery...

AA

The captain and I are not really on the same page this month and it seems like the guy has had it out for me for a long time. I sure hope he does not select me for an Away Mission anytime soon. I was walking through Engineering happily taking pictures with my old analog Canon camera when the captain popped up and informed me that taking pictures of the engine room was forbidden on a Star Ship. He went on to inform me that photographing most things on the Enterprise would get me locked up in the brig. I guess it is best if he never sees the pictures I took of Nurse Christine Chapel in the Sick Bay.

So, to avoid further aggravating the captian, I traded my camera for a razor, a Razorock Gamechanger .68P. This morning was my first shave with my new razor. Thanks to crewman @Jmp63 I had an Astra Superior Stainless to load into the razor for its maiden voyage.

I did two passes with some touchup. The razor is nice but I would not say better than my Rockwell 6c with either plates 3 or 4 shave wise. The build quality of the Gamechanger is much better than the Rockwell, and it is much nicer to look at. The weight is similar and to me even the handles feel similar. The smaller head of the Gamechanger is nice for under the nose and I like the little bit of blade feel the razor has but it does not seem to shave any better than the Rockwell. I think I do less buffing with the Rockwell.

I had a great shave this morning with a lot of buffing and no blood loss. Nurse Chapel will love the smoothness of my face, but I do suspect that her amorous behavior was simply a result of the photo shoot and will likely never be revisited. This is especially true now that I no longer am in possession of the camera.

The blade is fine and gave me no irritation. I always have irritation when using the Astra SP for the first few shaves on each blade. The Astra SS is a fine blade and I do appreciate crewman Jmp63 sending them to me but I doubt I will be purchasing any. In my opinion GWS blades are sharper, just as smooth, and cost about the same. I am going to try the Astra SS blade in the Rockwell tomorrow.

This Gamechanger is a nice razor but I miss my camera. Maybe this razor will benefit from a sharper blade, like a Shark or Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow. Maybe during next year’s Shore Leave I can buy the open comb plate for the Gamechanger. Maybe I just need to tell the captain to take a hike, be happy with the razors I currently own and hang onto my cameras.

The Gamechanger .68p is pretty and has a very nice feel. It gives a good shave and is enjoyable to use (bear with me now I am almost convinced everything is okay) and it will make a fine addition to my collection. It is sexy enough that I could always trade a Klingon or Romulan for something different.

Oh yea, the guy at the space station I traded for the razor is thrilled with the camera. I offered to pay the postage for the trade back if he was unhappy with it and he declined my offer. 😢

SOTD
IMG_20210517_075315474.jpg

Still in.
Razor: RR German 37
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Semogue 830
Bowl: Timeless
Soap: MWF
A/S: Aqua Velva Classic Ice Blue
This was my first use of MWF, and I was impressed. I test lathered with a synthetic before shaving, and honestly that seemed to work better. I have a love/hate relationship with that brush! Post-shave feel of MWF was terrific, and the scent is pleasant as well.
Have a great day y’all!
662103B5-1121-4C9A-BA78-850FB2B65B41.jpeg

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Just wanted to check in from the sidelines, gentlemen, and say that I am cheering you on.

I have adopted a minimalist philosophy that is serving me well. I currently have 1.05 soaps that I like, 3 that I don't, and one cream that I plan to use for the foreseeable future. Shockingly, this cream has convinced me that creams are better than soaps - sacrilegious, I know.

Anyway, as always, stay on target!

This week has been focused on the Parker Variant with Polsiver Super Iridium. the last few days have been the same razor with a Personna Lab Blue and an Astra Superior Platinum. Both were really good but the combination of the Variant and the Polsiver blade is a strong match. I like the weight and feel of the razor as well as the fact that the razor requires some attention. Set at 3, it is just shy of harsh. Looking forward to new combinations.

Still in, still 3017ing the tub of RR Alchemy I started in mid January. I've had to press the edges to close up the donut hole in the middle a couple times, but I'm sure it'll get me through another month or so.
Happily enjoying my prewar, fat handle tech with either Nacet or Sputnik blades, looking forward to cracking the tub of Stirling Grapefruit before Autumn but time will tell.
I did finish up a bottle of a/s splash (Mickey Lee's Grand Havana, I'll really miss it) and now working on a mostly full bottle of RR Emperor; hoping it'll last long enough to coincide with the current soap running out.
No temptations and just past halfway to the second check in point.

Frag: 1 (Grey Quartz)
Splash: 4 (Ogallala, RR Alchemy, Grand Havana, Monsieur Musk)
Soap: 1 (Ogallala)

Still in and happy to report that the latest away mission was successfully completed. The Vitos sample held out longer than expected but has been finished. I am on to a Capt. Choice Lime cream that is at 50% capacity. It was my travel cream back in the before times. I expect it to go quickly. Great scent for the warmer weather coming. I have yet to establish a brush for this mission. Will report when the scans have been completed. Carry on!

Stardate 121141.3
Razor: RazoRock Wunderbar
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (5)
Brush: Maggard 24mm Mixed 70/30
Cream: Proraso Red (transferred from a tube)

SWS_20210516.jpg

Getting back to my regular rotation of razors has been good as it gives me something to look forward to in upcoming weeks. Just 10 more days with the Mixed 70/30 and I'll also start using different brushes again. I'm starting to realize the variety from one week to the next provides enough of a distraction to significantly reduce the urge to window-shop. My recent decision to use my Feather Artist Club razors on the weekends has helped not only with my proficiency with them, but also adds a little extra variety to the week of shaves. I know it may not seem like much, but I need to use whatever tricks I have at my disposal to get through the next 7 months.

Crewman #13 still in...

Still In

Used a Dorco Prime that came from @JWCowboy today in a GC .68p. Thank you so much JW for the nice card that you sent with the blades. My face is still tore up by my failure with the Astra SS yesterday so I did not really try getting close. I found the Dorco to be fairly sharp and very smooth to my skin and I had a nice shave. I opened a few nicks from yesterday and had some irritation but I doubt that had anything to do with the blade. Too early to tell but this blade might be a keeper.

Still in.

After almost messing up with my "Zen" by a B&B brush, I came back stronger.
Sanity prevailed satisfaction and gratitude for the items that I already have and provided by fellow members.

I'm enjoying the shaves once again as I've overcome the feeling of wanting, and decided that nothing is needed, at least not enough to skip the sabbatical.

Shark Super Chrome blade is giving me very crisp shaves, Stirling Duke continues to satisfy the lather needs and Parker Variant at setting 4 gave a very balanced shave.

IMG_20210522_131203.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom