What's new

2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek

But I look so good in red.
You're a recurring character, you should be pretty safe unless something really bad happens. In that case, you'd have to be replaced by Lt. Palmer, but Uhura is much more fun to have around.

1618314564550.png 1618314426730.png

Last edited:
I shave every day just in case I need to be presentable. I enjoy being clean-shaven and dressed appropriately whenever I leave my home. While cleaning up post-shave today, my wife told me a longtime (30+ years) friend and her husband (the friend's husband, not my wife's) were in town for a medical appointment. They were headed back home today and wanted to have lunch. I took a quick shower and for the first time in over a year, I put on a shirt with buttons (I wasn't about to squander the opportunity). I just returned home a few minutes ago. Not one person in the restaurant commented on the closeness of my shave. I was a bit disappointed in the lack of appreciation for my efforts with my shaving gear, but I was able to spend some quality time with a couple of dear friends.

Crewman #13 still in and with a much greater appreciation for life...

I shave every day just in case I need to be presentable. I enjoy being clean-shaven and dressed appropriately whenever I leave my home. While cleaning up post-shave today, my wife told me a longtime (30+ years) friend and her husband (the friend's husband, not my wife's) were in town for a medical appointment. They were headed back home today and wanted to have lunch. I took a quick shower and for the first time in over a year, I put on a shirt with buttons (I wasn't about to squander the opportunity). I just returned home a few minutes ago. Not one person in the restaurant commented on the closeness of my shave. I was a bit disappointed in the lack of appreciation for my efforts with my shaving gear, but I was able to spend some quality time with a couple of dear friends.

Never hurts to look good. I am also a daily shaver if only because I like it.

One of my best friends is a retired Command Sergeant Major. When we were both in the Army he shaved every day, even on the weekends. I’d drop by unannounced and his hair was in regulation and his shave would pass inspection. I asked him one time why he went to the trouble because he knew I didn’t care off duty. His reply was was, “I joined the Army for the lifestyle and I live the lifestyle.”

Anyway, we’re both retired now and I visited him a couple of weekends ago. I swapped a bunch of SE stuff for his Karve, we got drunk on fine straight whiskey and blew s#%* up in his back yard. His shave is still impeccable and his hair is would still pass inspection.

Edit: He talked me into swapping shotguns for pheasant season too.

Hi,

And, then there is the Shave Every Day so you can keep breathing reason. As in firefighters need to be clean shaven so the air mask seals properly. If it doesn't, you die. Nothing like an atmosphere of toxic gases to keep you shaving every day. ;)

I imagine the Army reason came from gas masks too.

Stan - Still In

Still in

Kamisori shave #12
Feather Professional blade #2

3 pass BBS
No cuts, weepers or nick.

Excellent shave
10/10

I was extra careful with the pressure on the razor, and kept the approach of the blade angle as minimal as possible.

There is only 1 downside of such a good, close shave - Nothing substantial to shave tomorrow.

IMG_20210416_160150.jpg

Stardate 121106.3
Razor: P&G Gillette Super Blue
Blade: Astra SS (6)
Brush: Omega Pro 49
Soap : Arko
Balm : Duke Cannon - Ice Cold

Well, I think I'm done. No, not with the sabbatical; I think I'm done with purchasing razors, blades, brushes, and soaps. Maybe it's a side-effect of back-to-back challenges with a fixed set of equipment, or maybe I just realized I'm good with what I have. I've acquired some pretty nice razors (IMO) that I don't use as often as I should because I have so many other nice razors that get in the way. And the same is true with brushes. I enjoy the variety, but since I tend to stick with one razor and brush for a week for the sake of consistency, even my favorites may not see action more than twice a year. As far as blades are concerned, I have enough of my DE favorites to last at least 9 years if I limit myself to one per week. And because my SE blades are easily good for 2 weeks or more, I have enough of them for another 7 years. Don't get me started on soaps and creams; my stash is measured in pounds and I can only hope to be around long enough to 3017 all of it.

Don't get me wrong; I plan to still engage in the occasional trade to help a fellow B&B member or use the opportunity to switch out some shaving gear. There's one brush I've talked myself out of buying several times in the last couple of years and it's still on my wish list. The longer I go without it, the more I think of it as just something I don't have rather than something I need. I'll probably use it as my sabbatical exception just in case it pops up at a ridiculous price that is just too good to pass up. But for now, I think I'm done. Unless of course this is all just a dream :sleep12:

Crewman #13 still in...

I've been enjoying my "austerity program". 🤣

The other day I saw a fantastic sale on some shaving soap that I really like. It took me a minute to remember that I would not need it for seven years or so. How big a pile do I really need?

There's a couple of brushes I put on my list for sometime in the future as "upgrades" over what I have now. Still, I already like what I have now, so why not enjoy them?

I need to make plans to give some things away. Maybe some shave kits for new people. We'll see.
🤔

Top Bottom