What's new

2021 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Shave Trek

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I am out......purely on a whim, over a week ago I tried a Personna Platinum in my Timeless SS .95 and got an amazingly close shave, smooth and with zero irritation. I had bought a tuck of 200 in November but had not tried them. In the next several days tried the blade in my DE89 and my R41. It gave as close a shave in my ‘89’ as a Feather but so much smoother. In the R41, unlike other smooth blades, no tugging or irritation. I continued to try that blade and several others from the tuck in various razors. It always gave a close irritation free shave. As smooth as any Derby, as close or almost as close as a Feather. A bit of hunting around this forum confirmed Personna blades seem to go thru unpredictable major changers , including recent closure of one plant and shifting production to another country. After some thought I decided to stock up enough blades for the rest of my shaving days. I may outlive my supply or years from now try and find a better blade, but I believe I have found my ‘grail blade’ which works uniquely well for me in all my razors. I do not expect to be experimenting with different blades as I have over the years. The search for my ‘best’ personal blade is done. Good luck to everyone else on the Trek.

Completely respect your decision to beam down to the planet's surface. I'm considering it also...but, currently still in. There are a couple of razors that I would like to try out that I don't think waiting for 9+ months will be beneficial. Will see. It's not the software for me...it's the hardware. And the hardware is, generally, the thing that can make a serious improvement in your shave.

I am out......purely on a whim...

1614687821066.png

1614688075059.png

"It wasn't a deliberate act."

Still in.

Wow, who would've thought the space journey will be so treacherous ?

I was recuperating from the last Oops moment filled shave with the crack project shavette.

While I have tossed it in dustbin for good, face required some rest, so today is the 1st shave of March.

I've been feeling bad about too much discipline in my shave hobby, so I've decided to excuse myself from some groups, that way I'll get to enjoy this hobby more.

Today's set-up decided was totally on a whim.

Parker Variant Adjustable
Laser Ultra
Arko !
Vicco Turmeric Cream as Aftershave Balm

Shave : BBS

JCarr

Still in...pining for the fjords like a Norwegian Blue.

1614778045560.png

Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (brushless - applied by hand)
Soap: Black Ship Grooming Thomas Tew
Brush: RazoRock Beehive synthetic (The Big Orange!)
Razor: Karve Brass OC (Plate B)
Blade: Derby Premium (3)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Stirling lemon-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Lustray Spice

Kit 20210303.jpg

Still In

SOTD
Razor: Baili 176
Brush: unnamed inexpensive synthetic
Soap: Homemade Lemon Eucalyptus
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge(3)

The Captain put me on the away team and beamed me to the planets surface this morning. The indigenous people of this planet have some bizarre shaving ritual where you have to have three passes and cleanup done in seven minutes. These people make sure you are distracted by nagging women, barking dogs, ringing communicators, and a mean 20 pound cat that will bite you in the hip if you don't pet him when he grabs you upper leg. This resulted in weepers on my Neck today. DFS, and I will be more careful tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_20210303_075540680~2.jpg
    IMG_20210303_075540680~2.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 5

JCarr

Still In

SOTD
Razor: Baili 176
Brush: unnamed inexpensive synthetic
Soap: Homemade Lemon Eucalyptus
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge(3)

The Captain put me on the away team and beamed me to the planets surface this morning. The indigenous people of this planet have some bizarre shaving ritual where you have to have three passes and cleanup done in seven minutes. These people make sure you are distracted by nagging women, barking dogs, ringing communicators, and a mean 20 pound cat that will bite you in the hip if you don't pet him when he grabs you upper leg. This resulted in weepers on my Neck today. DFS, and I will be more careful tomorrow.

Was this the demon planet from that Voyager episode?

Haven’t been posting much of anything lately, but I’m still in. There was a certain shavette that was causing some SERIOUS temptation, but I think I’m over it for the time being. These were some of my choices for the last few shaves. All excellent!!View attachment 1231004
Shave Long and Prosper 💈🖖🏼💈
That appears to be a PAA Double Open Comb with a Maggard short handle. That is one of my "go-to" setups. Kudoes on your photo skills.

That appears to be a PAA Double Open Comb with a Maggard short handle. That is one of my "go-to" setups. Kudoes on your photo skills.
Haha, you nailed it!! That’s exactly what it is, nice smooth set up. Good with a very sharp blade. The other is a Lupo on a short WCS handle. Thanks for the kudos, I’m learning 👍🏼

20210304_090448-01.jpeg

SOTD (063/2021)
04-03-2021

>> The mysterious KAI blades <<

Preshave: frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Triumph
Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: KAI (4)
Post shave: frigid tap, Stirling Soap Triumph AS.

First shave with my new razor. Very nice debut. The short handle Progress is a tad head heavy for me, but that is not an issue. I really like the look and hefty feel. The knob is way more attractive in reality than I formerly thought. I was mistaken. It's a clear keeper.

JAHE - still in

Last edited:
Top Bottom