What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

SOTD (209/2020)
19-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201118_194116-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water
Brush: Razorock Big Bruce
Soap: Haslinger ~ Schafsmilch
Razor: Gillette New Long Comb
Blade: Feather (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS & witch hazel

JAHE - still in

SOTD (210/2020)
20-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201120_112242-01.jpeg

Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Executive Man
Razor: Parker 87R
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Sharp Edge (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Executive Man AS

Very close shave today. However I have mixed feelings wtr to this razor. The results never gave any reason to bother, however, this beauty is such a rough guy whilst shaving. I have yet to find a blade which provides smooth shaves with this razor...

JAHE - still in

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Hi everyone! Unfortunately, I got my Buggati crashed big time and I'm out (team 3 - #13). I've been contempating about giving straight razors a try for quite some time. I just bought one along with a strop. Good luck everyone! :001_smile
Don't feel too bad. You crashed out for a worthy cause. Welcome to the gentlemanly art of SR shaving.

SOTD (211/2020)
21-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201121_150916-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura
Soap: MWF
Razor: Fatip Grande Open Comb
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Razorock Emperor AS.

JAHE - still in

I am still in but I believe that straight razors will be what keeps me out of the 2021 sabbatical. Not because I am going to go crazy and buy stuff, but I will pick up some lapping film at the beginning of the year but if I decided to pick up some balsa and some paste I don't want to go back on my commitment nor do I want to wait till Jan 2022 to pick it up.

Hi,

SR maintenance supplies are an exemption. :)

Just don't go crazy on the stones. ;)

Having a machine shop, I buy stones often, so I know about that. But, I don't use a SR so such stuff doesn't count for me. I work cutting tools with them.

Stan

SOTD (212/2020)
22-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201122_134552-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 1460
Soap: Phoenix & Beau ~ Trafalgar
Razor: Gillette NEW LC
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (3)
Postshave: frigid tap water, RR Emperor AS.

JAHE - still in

Hi,

SR maintenance supplies are an exemption. :)

Just don't go crazy on the stones. ;)

Having a machine shop, I buy stones often, so I know about that. But, I don't use a SR so such stuff doesn't count for me. I work cutting tools with them.

Stan

I read rule number 6 as disallowing me to buy stones/films/etc specifically to use on a SR. I am in the process of slowly trying to learn to use, maintain and maybe even mod/build one. I have purchased stones to use on my chisels and planes and other shop stuff. A couple of those would be suitable to set a bevel and do some of the initial honing but if I was honest with myself I wouldn't need 1 micron lapping film for my woodworking tools so I figure I can't buy that.

But who knows... I might have too much fun with my woodworking and not get around to upgrading my SR skills in 2021.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B. Team 10 (still in)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Testina Gentile
Blade: Shark Platinum (1)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo
Soap: Proraso White
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman (Splash)
027_4_25.jpg

I really had a nice shave today. I'm enjoying my Testina Gentile, and I really love Shark Platinum blades. I may use the Shark Platinums for the foreseeable future. They have become among my favorite blades. I also really realize how I've missed using Proraso soaps. It makes for such a comforting, warm, and secure shave. I haven't wanted to use any brushes except for my APShaveco Brushes for over a month now. I enjoy happy and secure shaves. I must admit, I've entered into my safe shave space.

Last edited:
SOTD (213/2020)
23-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201122_193746-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2-band badger
Soap: Zingari Man ~ Magician (sample)
Razor: 1961 Gillette Fatboy
Blade: BIC (5)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Orange Chill AS.

JAHE - still in

Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B. Team 10 (still in)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Testina Gentile
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo
Soap: Proraso White
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman (Splash)
View attachment 1186028
I really had a nice shave today. I'm enjoying my Testina Gentile, and I really love Shark Platinum blades. I may use the Shark Platinums for the foreseeable future. They have become among my favorite blades. I also really realize how I've missed using Proraso soaps. It makes for such a comforting, warm, and secure shave. I haven't wanted to use any brushes except for my APShaveco Brushes for over a month now. I enjoy happy and secure shaves. I must admit, I've entered into my safe shave space.

Today's Shave Roulette spin will make me use a Shark Platinum blade for the very first time.

I do hope the SP turns out to be
a sharp blade since fortuity paired it with my mild 40's style Gillette SS. Frankly I have no clue what to expect...

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Today's Shave Roulette spin will make me use a Shark Platinum blade for the very first time.

I do hope the SP turns out to be
a sharp blade since fortuity paired it with my mild 40's style Gillette SS. Frankly I have no clue what to expect...

I hope you like them as well as I do. I flipped mine today and discovered that you can cork the blade on your thumb (not recommended :tongue_sm).

I AM OUT! I broke the cardinal rule and looked where I shouldn't have looked.

The Clubman site (clubman.com) is currently having a sale on their aftershaves. They are 50% off with free shipping good through I believe 11/28. I bought 2 - 14oz bottles of Osage Rub, a 12 oz bottle of Citrus Musk and a 1.7 oz Lilac Vegetal. I've read so much about the Veg that I had to buy a sample sized bottle to try it out and see if I am one of the chosen ones. I love Osage Rub and until recently, I would use it after every single shave but my bottle was getting low so I was conserving it and using it sparingly. The Citrus Musk is a favorite that I've been missing since it ran out months ago. All four bottles delivered totaled $15.50! I've always been a sucker for a good deal!

I'll be jumping back on board for the 2021 sabbatical. Good luck to the rest of you and try to avoid the temptations of those Black Friday sales!

SOTD (214/2020)
24-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201123_202755-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Zingari Man ~ Magician (sample)
Razor: 40's style Gillette Super Speed
Postshave: frigid tap water, Orange Chill AS.

First shave with the Shark Platinum. A tad too mild for my liking, at least when paired with this particular razor. But maybe there is no tugging at all in a more aggressive razor...

JAHE - still in

SOTD (215/2020)
25-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201124_232002-01.jpeg

Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo 28mm
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Haverford
Razor: Mühle Rocca R94
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore AS

I had an excellent shave this morning, close result and super smooth.
No nicks, no irritation - no complaints.
I really enjoy my shaves with the R94.
I'm glad I bought it prior to the begin of the sabbatical.

JAHE - still in

SOTD (216/2020)
26-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201126_181719-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 1470
Soap: Speick ~ Men Active
Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (5)
Postshave: frigid tap water

JAHE - still in