What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Steady progress is being made by the remaining competitors. The latest position;
SPS2020-4aug.JPG
SPS2020-4aug-b.JPG

I'm still in - even though the other day I dropped my Muhle R41 out of our medicine cabinet and it landed on the tile floor. Surprisingly the tile floor was unscathed after the Muhle (with Maggard MR3 handle that has some heft) crashed down from about 4ft. The Muhle R41 head has a slight waver on one end of the cap - and seeing as how it's zamak it's probably not long for this world. 'Tis a shame as it definitely is my favorite razor - but I'll make due with my other razors until the restocking period in January and pick up another R41 head.

Almost done with the PdP No 63 - there's just a ring about 1/2" wide around the outside of the container. Seeing as how I'm only shaving about every four days right now it will probably last through the rest of the month.

Still in - no temptations.

I'm still in - even though the other day I dropped my Muhle R41 out of our medicine cabinet and it landed on the tile floor. Surprisingly the tile floor was unscathed after the Muhle (with Maggard MR3 handle that has some heft) crashed down from about 4ft. The Muhle R41 head has a slight waver on one end of the cap - and seeing as how it's zamak it's probably not long for this world. 'Tis a shame as it definitely is my favorite razor - but I'll make due with my other razors until the restocking period in January and pick up another R41 head.

Almost done with the PdP No 63 - there's just a ring about 1/2" wide around the outside of the container. Seeing as how I'm only shaving about every four days right now it will probably last through the rest of the month.

Still in - no temptations.
Isn’t it ok the replace things that break?

Man, I’m sorry.

#45 still in and on cruise control. Trying hard to like the tube of Cremo that I have had lying around for a couple of years but I just can't get into it. Not bad for results but the experience is lacking.

Car #35 here. No accidents or breakdowns so far on this leg of the course. Just carrying on, steady as she goes. It takes a lot longer to finish a soap than I expected. Maybe I will try the 3017 strategy, but switching up for variety's sake is more fun.

#4 still in and running strong. I’m expecting to finish off a puck of VDH and a bottle of Skin Bracer somewhere in mid September as I continue to rotate through the razors in my den. No problems here.

SOTD (# 140/2020)
05-08-2020
20200804_200336-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water, Proraso White Pre-shave cream
Brush: Omega Synthetic 46138 Hi Brush 24/57
Soap: Calani ~ Oriental Plum
Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Extro Cosmesi Vetiver AS, Nivea post shave balm

JAHE - still in.

Isn’t it ok the replace things that break?

Man, I’m sorry.

It's ok I don't need to buy a replacement - it's not my main razor and it wasn't even being used at the time of the accident. For the most part the R41 is probably usably fine, but knowing that zamak degrades quickly if the envelope is broken means that it's days are numbered. I'll pick one up in January during restock - it looks like I can pick up the top cap from shaving.ie for about $10, or the full head from Maggards for $25.

SOTD (# 141/2020)
05-08-2020
20200806_141652-01.jpeg

Preshave: cold water.
Brush: Thäter 4125/2 2-Band Silvertip Badger Imperial Red 26 Fan Rounded
Soap: MWF
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Personna Chrome Platinum (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, mentholated Majestät AS, Nivea post shave balm.

JAHE - still in.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B. Team 10 (still in)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Zebrano
Blade: Astra SP (4)
Brush: Omega S10081
Soap: De Vergulde Hand
Aftershave: Osage Rub
040_42.jpg

Todays shave was more comfortable and relaxed. I've really enjoyed my Zebrano. I do miss my Lo Storto though. Next week, I'll be back with it. For now, I have one more shave with my Zebrano to enjoy. My Fatip Zebrano OC should be all the razor I ever need. I just can't stop thinking about my FOCS.

SOTD (# 142/2020)
06-08-2020
20200806_192107-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Lemon Chill
Razor: 40's style Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Feather (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Proraso Azur Lime AS, Nivea post shave balm.

JAHE - still in.

SOTD (# 143/2020)
09-08-2020
20200807_194525-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 1460
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Lemon Chill
Razor: Ming Shi 2000S (on setting 2,75)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, mentholated Majestät AS, Nivea post shave balm.

JAHE - still in.

SOTD (# 144/2020)
10-08-2020
20200808_120611-01.jpeg

Preshave: cold water, Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Semogue Owners Club
Soap: Proraso ~ White
Razor: Fatip Grande Mk II Open Comb
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, mentholated Majestät AS, Proraso White post shave balm.

JAHE - still in... whilst lurking around in the Fatip Slant thread I was reminded that I haven't used my Fatip Grande OC for quite some time. So I brought it back into my rotation. Just an excellent efficient razor... if the slant version was even smoother than the standard OC the slant would be a real benchmark razor for me... I guess I will have to give it a try - in January 2021.

Last edited:
SOTD (# 145/2020)
11-08-2020

20200810_192644-01.jpeg

Preshave: cold water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Mistura Badger/Boar
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Orange Chill
Razor: Parker 87R
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS & Witch Hazel, Nivea post shave balm.

JAHE - still in...

SOTD (# 146/2020)
12-08-2020
20200811_203405-01.jpeg

Preshave: cold water
Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Fan 24/50
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ "Orange Bay Tonic" (JAHE 's mix)
Razor: Mühle R89
Blade: Wikinson Sword Germany (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill Witch Hazel & post shave balm.

JAHE - still in...

Top Bottom