What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Just three stragglers left to check in; @JohnYaddy , @Silky Glide , @MuhleShaver . A few crashes too over the last few days. The latest position;
SPS2020-7jul.JPG
SPS2020-7jul-b.JPG

I'm still in - half a year down and no temptations. The old air-cooled Beetle is purring along nicely. I'm about to finish a puck of PdP No 63 that I started 3017ing in May of 2019. My next victim will most likely be a half finished puck of AoS Lavender soap that started me on this journey back in 2014.

I also finished off a jar of Proraso Green preshave cream - moving on to the Proraso Blue preshave cream that I ordered during the restock period in January.

SOTD (# 124/2020)
07-07-2020
20200706_193338-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Declaration Grooming ~ Try that soap 2.0
Razor: Gillette NEW Long Comb
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Proraso Azur Lime AS.

JAHE - still in.

#61 still in, with some more success to report. Running even more smoothly as my cargo continues to dwindle.
Finished off the RR Blue splash this morning, pressed the sliver of soap into a puck of croap; with the remnants of my Booster Island Bay rum finished up over the weekend.
I'm now able to declare the remainder of July "Bay Rum month" as I turn to a couple of old favourites. I might not finish the soap and the splash will never get more than half empty as it's my "infinity bottle".
No concerns or temptations, I'm still very well stocked.

My tally:
Preshave - 1 (Noxema)
Aftershave - 7 (Gatlinburg, Kramperts, Irish Countryside, 500ml witch hazel, AV musk, Blue Barbershop, Island Bay Rum)
Soap - 2 (Gatlinburg, WTP Blue)
Frag - 3 (Zscent Irish countryside, Aramis, Jovan Musk).

SOTD (# 125/2020)
09-07-2020
20200708_132827-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Thäter 4125/2 2-Band Silvertip Badger Imperial Red 26 Fan Rounded
Soap: Speick ~ Men Active
Razor: Gillette Rocket HD
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Speick Men Active After Shave Lotion.

JAHE - still in.

Competitiors still running;

#NameExceptionCar
1PepinVintage razorCitroën Traction Avant
3CzechCzarStirling's new efficient razor1933 Duesenberg II SJ Boattail Speedster
4jim99Stirling Christmas soap1937 supercharged Cord
6JAHENo ExceptionAudi 920 black drop-top
7JeffJNo ExceptionLancia Dilambda
8deafficianadoWolfman razorBentley Speed Six
9martymNo ExceptionRenault GS
11RuvaNo Exception1936 Ford Model C Ten
12RuckinNo Exception1937 ford pickup
13Sotiris_AShaving scuttleBugatti Type 57S
15InvictaNo ExceptionJensen H type
16VerbaVolantone stainless razorBugatti 55 Roadster
17ChanduNo ExceptionRolls-Royce Twenty
18T.Orsowitch hazelTriumph Gloria Vitesse
19ByDomsNo ExceptionMG 14/28
20Keen EdgeNo ExceptionScuderia Ferrari Alfa 8C-35
23RTMNo ExceptionBentley 8 Litre
2402flhtci(1) tub of Murphy and McNeil NantahalaCadillac 355
25CJB3grail razorStudebaker President
33mikelz777No ExceptionMercedes Benz 320A
35Atlantic59One pack travel razorsAlfa Romeo 6C 2300B Mille Miglia
36Carm10No ExceptionGAZ-M1
375CantonasFatip slantChrysler Imperial
39RyanshhBingle Buddy Gift Exchange1936 Lincoln Zephyr
40DrquantumDR Harris Arlington soap1932 Nash Ambassador Eight
41olegunnarTravel Cart(s)Peugeot Type 183
42Doc_Sstrop replacementSteyr 220 Gläser Roadster (1939)
43GeneautOld Spice Shave MugWolseley Hornet 6 ( 1930 )
45ChestyNo ExceptionHispano-Suiza H6
46EarcutterMentholated aftershaveFiat 518
47MeanprTravel Razor1935 DeSoto Airflow
52MuhleShaverNo Exception1938 VW Beetle
53karhuSemogue Mistura Brush1928 Morris Minor
54Thomas DarkbladeNo Exception1925 Mercedes W05 SSKL
55kaidecolognePils 101 NE39 Opel Kapitän Cabriolet
56jamesearthdrumNo Exception1930 KJ Henderson
57Raven KoenesFatip Slant1939 Fiat 1500 B
61Esettereplate one razorMorris Oxford
64_Stormin_No Exception32 Duesenberg Model SJ
66AziraphaleKing Cobra SE'36 Lincoln K-Series (Zephyr) V-12
67KQY61No Exception1917 Disbrow Special
Retirements;

#NameOutReason
2pbrmhl06/07/2020Chantillon Lux AS
5garyTha11/02/2020Withdrawn from race
10tsimmns26/02/2020T3 Simpsons synthetic
14AZBronco22/03/2020Genesis Oneblade Core
21Emwolf06/03/2020Famex Cage razor
22AlphaFrank7514/05/2020Antaeus EDT
26GeromimoWSB13/03/2020Enders razor
27JohnYaddy09/07/2020failed 2nd quarter check in
28wmitchell06/01/2020Withdrawn from Race
29Noodles19/06/2020Timeless Ti-95 razor
30JohnnieTime27/03/2020Timeless Bronze
31bobmsp23/02/2020Gibbs adjustable
32Brian C.21/05/2020Mitchell's wool fat
34Timeclo16/03/2020>1 Artisan shaving brush
38ShavingPanda05/05/2020Timeless Bronze
44AKH22312/02/2020GC 68 OC baseplate, a GC top cap, a Halo handle, and a Barrister and Mann Seville soap
48Mr_Houston30/01/2020Wolfman razor
49Azwetshaver07/02/2020Gillette Aristocrat
50It's Hedley15/04/2020Brushes, soaps and creams galore
51Silky Glide09/07/2020failed 2nd quarter check in
58Neffarious08/02/2020Gem Damaskeen & Gold Fatboy, with pristine cases
59Wtd191113/04/2020failed 1st quarter check in
60Heron12/04/2020Razorock Lupo razor & 400 brush
62bjm03/04/2020Withdrawn from race
63Rvshave07/07/2020Crashed out of race
65147_Grain07/07/2020Crashed out of race
68gcconspiracy03/06/2020Various soaps

SOTD (# 126/2020)
10-07-2020
20200710_125431-01.jpeg

Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Fan 24/50
Soap: Calani ~ Oriental Plum
Razor: Mühle R89
Blade: BIC Chrome Platinum (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS.

JAHE - still in.

#51 - Silky Glide - disqualified because I did not check in (I may have inadvertently checked into a monthly sabbatical by mistake). Anyway, it has been a full 6 months without a shave related purchase (I have so much stuff to use up at home, I could probably go another 10 years with what I have). Anyway, I am enjoying taking a break from impulse buying of gear (probably the longest I have gone since I started old time shaving). Stuck at home in downtown Brooklyn with the pandemic, probably the only stuff I spend money on is food, rent, laundry and cable/internet. Saving lots of money for when this is all over!

Last edited:
#51 - Silky Glide - disqualified because I did not check in (I may have inadvertently checked into a monthly sabbatical by mistake). Anyway, it has been a full 6 months without a shave related purchase (I have some much stuff to use up at home, I could probably go another 10 years with what I have). Anyway, I am enjoying taking a break from impulse buying of gear (probably the longest I have gone since I started old time shaving). Stuck at home in downtown Brooklyn with the pandemic, probably the only stuff I spend money on is food, rent, laundry and cable/internet. Saving lots of money for when this is all over!

I hear ya on the cost savings! Even with the delivery fees, we're spending a lot less (even though I'm out of the sabbatical due to an aftershave purchase).

Personally, I'd vote to keep you in if your only transgression is a late check-in. I'll leave it up to the powers that be.

P.S. I lived in Brooklyn in the late '70s. Park Slope, to be exact. Back then, Park Slope was much different from what it was when I last visited a couple of years ago. Given the pandemic, I can't even picture NYC.

I hear ya on the cost savings! Even with the delivery fees, we're spending a lot less (even though I'm out of the sabbatical due to an aftershave purchase).

Personally, I'd vote to keep you in if your only transgression is a late check-in. I'll leave it up to the powers that be.
Thanks, but either way, I will be following along and keeping away from the BST and vendor sites!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Okay, spill the beans. What happened? Was it a much needed part for the car, or was it.... Shaving gear???
:yikes:
A bit of background... I have weird facial hair. Very thick, grows in all directions. I also have sensitive skin. I also love BBS.

This has made it darned near impossible for me to find a razor that works for me. Even B&B favorites, such as the Fatip, don't shave me close enough in 3 passes. And razors such as the Cobra, iKon Tech, are just cruel to my skin.

Over the 2019 restraint, through mutual loaning of razors with another member, I found two that worked beautifully: the Charcoal Goods level 3, and the iKon Standard.

I went with the former during the restock period, because, well, go big or go home.

Recently there has been a problem with it, however. The darned thing keeps coming unscrewed mid shave. And the problem is only getting worse. I recently threw up my hands in frustration, got SHMBO's permission, and ordered a iKon Standard. And some soap. And some aftershave balm. Because, go big or go home.

Of course, I will post pics of the hall once I get it.

Last edited:
Still out, but with no regrets.

I went out when my face started reacting to many of my soaps and creams, and I ordered a bunch of Stirling samples and a tub of PAA Dapper Doc's.

I have now officially used every soap in my order at least twice, and I have only found myself reacting to two of them (Stirling Spice, and Barbershop). Both contain scent oils with eugenol, so I am beginning to suspect that I may have a sensitivity.

I just completed a week with Stirling Sheep unscented soap, and found it to be a truly stellar soap. The lather was top shelf, and with it being unscented I didn't have even a whiff of irritation. I did, however, find myself slightly bored by the lack of scent after a week straight of unscented. Not really sure if I see myself going to a fully unscented routine anytime soon (I already use unscented ASB, so my only scent would be EdTs/colognes).

Out of the order my favorite scents are Executive Man (Aventus), Dapper Doc's (lilac, fig, and musk), Sandpiper (YSL dupe), Mountain Man (Silver Mountain Water), and Sharp Dressed Man (Green Irish Tweed). None of these seemed to give me any irritation, but now I am working my way through them again, using each for a week straight - that should give me a better idea if I can handle a full tub of any of them.

All in all it's been a lot of fun for a relatively low cost. I've found some new soaps that don't seem to irritate my face, and I've been introduced to Stirling soaps, which are a wonderful combination of performance, value, and a wide selection of scents.

Take care all, and may the rest of the year be sunny skies and open road!

GCC

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
A bit of background... I have weird facial hair. Very thick, grows in all directions. I also have sensitive skin. I also love BBS.

This has made it darned near impossible for me to find a razor that works for me. Even B&B favorites, such as the Fatip, don't shave me close enough in 3 passes. And razors such as the Cobra, iKon Tech, are just cruel to my skin.

Over the 2019 restraint, through mutual loaning of razors with another member, I found two that worked beautifully: the Charcoal Goods level 3, and the iKon Standard.

I went with the former during the restock period, because, well, go big or go home.

Recently there has been a problem with it, however. The darned thing keeps coming unscrewed mid shave. And the problem is only getting worse. I recently threw up my hands in frustration, got SHMBO's permission, and ordered a iKon Standard. And some soap. And some aftershave balm. Because, go big or go home.

Of course, I will post pics of the hall once I get it.
My order:

proxy.php
1x Honor Aftershave Balm
proxy.php
1x Justice Aftershave Balm
proxy.php
1x Endurance Aftershave Balm
ProductQuantityPrice
Captain's Choice Nor'easter Artisan Aftershave Balm, 4oz (#CAP-ASB-NOREASTER)
1$19.95
Declaration Grooming Unconditional Surrender Artisan Shaving Soap, 4oz - Milksteak Base (#DEC-SOAP-MS-UNCONDITIONAL)
1$24.00
Murphy and McNeil Ouroboros Artisan Shaving Soap, 5.5oz - Aon Base (#MMC-SOAP-OUROBOROS)
1$19.99
Stirling Soap Co Deep Blue Sea Shaving Soap, 5.8oz (#STIR-SOAP-DEEP-BLUE)
1$13.60
iKon B1 Standard Razor1

Cella Organic Aloe Vera Shaving Soap - 150g

Top Bottom