What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

#45, Hispano Suiza H6 still in. Have used up all of the ProRaso creams that I had purchased at TJ Maxx and working through the first of 2 AOS creams. After a week and half there was a good dent in it but I found that I can use a lot less. I was loading like a soap. It is a nice product at $9.99 but at $32.00 I would walk away. I think the Proraso Blue cream is the best of the products I have tried. No chance that I am going to run out of anything that I need so any purchase for the rest of the year will be impulse. Good luck to all for the second half.

#42 checking in.

My exception - a new strop to replace the old one - is still unfilled. I think I will order it in September and use the current strop in my travel kit. But maybe not, the order would be wise to have a backup leather, but I don't feel tempted at all.

SOTD (# 118/2020)
01-07-2020
20200630_191445-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water
Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Mäurer & Wirtz ~ Tabac
Razor: Gillette Slim (setting 5)
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (5)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS, Nivea Sensitive ASB.

JAHE - still in.

SOTD (# 119/2020)
02-07-2020
20200701_185136-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water, Proraso pre-shave cream White
Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Mühle ~ Sandelholz (Sandalwood)
Razor: Gillette Super Speed Red Tip
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (3)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Proraso Azur Lime AS, Nivea Sensitive ASB.

JAHE - still in.

#61 still in; second quarter checkpoint. We're halfway there, congratulations to all who made it this far!

Managed to finish off a couple pieces of software and happy to see my stash dwindling.
Got through my decant of AV musk splash as well as the partial bottle of Jovan spray; down to the dregs and shards of my RR Blue Barbershop set. My only dilemna is what to go with after they're done.
Lots to keep me going through the end of the year; a few small temptations but it only helps me rationalize and think about what I really need during the next restock window.

My tally:
Preshave - 1 (Noxema)
Aftershave - 5 (Gatlinburg, Kramperts, Irish Countryside, 500ml witch hazel, AV musk)
Soap - 1 (Gatlinburg)
Frag - 3 (Zscent Irish countryside, Aramis, Jovan Musk).

I made my second kill this year, a tub of shave cream! It's kind of weird how good that feels and how it's kind of exciting to me. My next target is a tub of Proraso white which has been used just enough to have a bowl shape on the top so it's still pretty full. I wouldn't be suprised if it took me into the New Year. This kill brings me down to three shave creams/soaps, two unused and the already started Proraso white. Product usage has slowed down quite a bit since COVID hit. I've been shaving only once or twice a week on the average since March when I started working from home. I may have to concentrate on shaving daily to use up that product!

Halfway through the second quarter check in {final date 7th July} and 19 competitors have yet to confirm their positions. Team Five appears to be struggling.
SPS2020-3jul.JPG
SPS2020-3jul-b.JPG

SOTD (# 120/2020)
03-07-2020
20200702_191702-01.jpeg

Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Fan 24/50
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Pharaoh' s Dreamsiecle
Razor: Parker 87R
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (4)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS & Witch Hazel

JAHE - still in.

#56 here and checking in at the half way point. The Henderson got a little sideways as I rolled into a right hander that was a group buy for Rudy Vey Brush. Just as I thought it was a low side for sure I remembered that group buys are an exception. Gassed it and the old girl settled down and now it's smooth roads and long sweepers until the end of the year. I think my ShaveMac D01 two band is the brush for my latest soap. Interesting that it's also a Rudy Vey brush. See you out on the road gentlemen.

#56 here and checking in at the half way point. The Henderson got a little sideways as I rolled into a right hander that was a group buy for Rudy Vey Brush. Just as I thought it was a low side for sure I remembered that group buys are an exception. Gassed it and the old girl settled down and now it's smooth roads and long sweepers until the end of the year. I think my ShaveMac D01 two band is the brush for my latest soap. Interesting that it's also a Rudy Vey brush. See you out on the road gentlemen.

I thought about the group buy, but then I remembered I've got 30 plus brushes that I use. (And a bunch of others I've given away or plan to.) Which is part of the reason why I remain "still in."

SOTD (# 121/2020)
04-07-2020
20200702_194943-01.jpeg

Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street ~ No. 50 SC
Razor: Gillette Super Speed 40's Style
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Nivea Sensitive ASB.

JAHE - still in.

#39 (I think) still in. Every day I think, "maybe today will be the day I finish my Stirling Sharp Dressed Man" and every day (so far) I have failed to do so. This sliver of a ring just keeps going. Mostly good. Have been being a little lazier about shaving and posting recently but just cruising along.

SOTD (# 122/2020)
05-07-2020
20200705_102349-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 1460
Soap: Mike's ~ Orange, Cedar & Black Pepper
Razor: Gillette Tech Fat Handle (post war / Canada)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (3)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Fine L' Orange Noir AS, Stirling Soap Orange Chill ASB.

JAHE - still in.

Top Bottom