What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Okay guys, I might be out, but I would like to plead my case first. Today I bought a BNIB unopened bottle of Chanel Antaeus After Shave with the Paris/New York label. I haven't worn aftershave in years since I got interested in the fragrance hobby. I bought this bottle because it's kind of rare and it's 30+ years old. It's a pre-barcode item which makes it at least 1989 at the latest. I'm including one picture so you can see what this is. You might not be aware but aftershaves of that era were as strong or stronger, scent wise, than edt's of today. I made this purchase to coincide with a bottle of Antaeus I have of the same time period and markings and I just had to see what it smelled like. If you're not a fragrance collector you might not understand my reasoning and I understand but I hope you do.
View attachment 1099782

That's definitely going out in style. How often does one get to catch a unicorn?

Looking at the scene, it looks like #AlphaFrank75 caught the sun in the eyes and went into a tail spin, hitting a tree. Race marshals report the car is irreparably damaged; driver AlphaFrank75 retired from race {#22, Team Four}. Latest positions;
SPS2020-14may - Copy.JPG
SPS2020-14may-b - Copy.JPG
SPS2020-14may-c.JPG

Okay guys, I might be out, but I would like to plead my case first. Today I bought a BNIB unopened bottle of Chanel Antaeus After Shave with the Paris/New York label. I haven't worn aftershave in years since I got interested in the fragrance hobby. I bought this bottle because it's kind of rare and it's 30+ years old. It's a pre-barcode item which makes it at least 1989 at the latest. I'm including one picture so you can see what this is. You might not be aware but aftershaves of that era were as strong or stronger, scent wise, than edt's of today. I made this purchase to coincide with a bottle of Antaeus I have of the same time period and markings and I just had to see what it smelled like. If you're not a fragrance collector you might not understand my reasoning and I understand but I hope you do.
View attachment 1099782
Wow man! Congrats.

SOTD (# 90/2020)
14-05-2020
20200515_163242-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water, Proraso pre-shave white
Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Wickham Soap 1912 ~ Scottish Heather (sample)
Razor: Mühle R89
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Proraso Azur Lime, Nivea AS balm.

JAHE - still in

(Soap samples: minus 16;
After shave balm: minus 2)

I am on thin ice here and need a judgment. I bought a can of maple syrup, not for shaving use. I legitimately needed to buy maple syrup.

The maple syrup came with a can.

I have a new used blade bank.

88981235-E70D-432F-88FE-DF4A5BB715A8.jpeg

After having finished 16 1/4 oz soap samples (some of them already had been used prior to the start of our race) I am really looking forward to switching back to my regular soap rotation. I kept three more samples for business related travelling (which might start again, sooner or later).

Congrats to all of you who are still on track!

I can’t believe it. I haven’t even come close to finishing a single item since we started this challenge. And now I’ve only got my neck to shave being I’m growing in a beard.

No wonder so many artisans go under.

Finally I am back in my regular shaving soap/cream rotation. I'm really glad I bought a tub of Citra Royale, since it has been discontinued in the meantime. I really enjoy its scent and the performance is very good both in terms of slickness and cushion...

SOTD (# 91/2020)
16-05-2020
20200516_123016-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water
Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Fan 24/50
Soap: Phoenix & Beau ~ Citra Royale
Razor: Mühle R89
Blade: Astra Superior Stainless Steel (5)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS & Orange Chil Witch Hazel

JAHE - still in

Last edited:
Still in. Second "kill" of the year, a bottle of Thayers Unscented that I have since 2018. I hope that I can use up a soap or two till the end of this year's GRUYERE.

Good luck everyone! :)

SOTD (# 92/2020)
17-05-2020
20200517_111924-01-01.jpeg
Brush: Omega Synthetic 46138 Hi Brush 24/57
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street ~ No. 50 (SC)
Razor: Gillette Flare Tip
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (3)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Fine Platinum AS, Nivea After Shave Balm

JAHE - still in

This past week I finally finished the tub of soap I've been diligently 3017'ing since December, Declaration Grooming Scrumtrulescent (sp?). I never really cared for the scent, so I was eagerly anticipating finishing it off, but it took a good while with working from home and shaving less often. I decided to break out an old pump bottle of Kiss My Face cream that had been in storage for a while, with the idea of using it straight through as well. I have never really used creams, and I was amazed at how it just whips up in about ten seconds to basically a Barbasol consistency. So that's fun. I do notice it's not as conditioning/moisturizing, but it really doesn't matter since I'm putting something on for that directly after.

I did have the thought earlier, "I should go on B&B, I should browse shaving sale stuff." Not that I'm going to buy anything, just bored. Then I remembered, even if I bought something and it came, I would still be bored, lol. Instead went for a pleasant, socially-distanced bike ride, nothing like endorphins and the outdoors. Came back had a shower and shave with the great stuff I have on hand, life is good.

SOTD (# 93/2020)
19-05-2020
20200519_195732-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Pharaoh's Dreamsiecle
Razor: Gillette Flair Tip
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (4)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS & Witch Hazel, Nivea After Shave Balm

JAHE - still in

I have to admit I’m feeling somewhat proud of myself. I was invited to purchase another Wolfman razor through his email waitlist system sometime in the last couple of weeks. I deferred my purchase. A new razor is my exception, but I’m waiting for details on the new Stirling razor...

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have to admit I’m feeling somewhat proud of myself. I was invited to purchase another Wolfman razor through his email waitlist system sometime in the last couple of weeks. I deferred my purchase. A new razor is my exception, but I’m waiting for details on the new Stirling razor...
Great job! Stay the course!

Do you know when Rod plans to release his razor?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Still in.

This journey continues to surprise me...

The latest development has been the realization that I am allergic to many of my soaps! In the past I had just attributed it to bad technique, but after noticing consistent itchiness/burning with certain soaps I decided to do some tests. I have been lathering up my face recently in the middle of the day, letting the lather just sit on my face for 5-10 minutes, and then washing it off. Some soaps itch, others tingle, and one started to burn, all without putting a razor to my face...

So, I've started to develop a blacklist of offending soaps:

Razorock XXX (by far the worst)
Haslinger Sandalwood
Proraso Red
Gillette Pure SC
Body Shop Maca Root SC

I've yet to figure out what I'm allergic to, but sandalwood seems to be the most common factor at this point...

Still in.

This journey continues to surprise me...

The latest development has been the realization that I am allergic to many of my soaps! In the past I had just attributed it to bad technique, but after noticing consistent itchiness/burning with certain soaps I decided to do some tests. I have been lathering up my face recently in the middle of the day, letting the lather just sit on my face for 5-10 minutes, and then washing it off. Some soaps itch, others tingle, and one started to burn, all without putting a razor to my face...

So, I've started to develop a blacklist of offending soaps:

Razorock XXX (by far the worst)
Haslinger Sandalwood
Proraso Red
Gillette Pure SC
Body Shop Maca Root SC

I've yet to figure out what I'm allergic to, but sandalwood seems to be the most common factor at this point...
Common problem ingredients include fragrance oils, essential oils and lanolin. You many want to try an unscented soap with a short ingredient list. For example, Soap Commander Integrity, WSP Au Natural, Haslinger Sensitive.

Top Bottom