What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

After over a month of head shaves with the same blade and Ascension ss, wow great headahave. Tabac, and my first face shave with a Weck sextoblade and personna blade. Pretty good, two small small weepers , has to be from technique. It's been at least a year since I used a straight. Took a little by accident out of the goatee but can't tell lol. I'm pickier about my shaves now also, and forgot how I like straights.

Hello Gents, Thought I would take a minute to check in while at a fuel stop. Still in the wind and the Henderson has been running strong for two months. I am finally seeing the bottom center of the bowl I have the Babe Lush in. Probably easily finish out the quarter with it. Then I think I'll move on to one of the TOBS I have in the den. See you on the road!

Quick review of the Weck razor @GeronimoWSB sent me as the one and only PIF entrant. I gave the razor a nice bath with scrubbing bubbles this morning and inserted the new blade he sent. I've have 2 other shavettes (Parker and Feather) and four straight razors--so the technique wasn't new to me. To be honest, though, I wasn't clear on the blade guard. At first I thought it would be a great way for someone to learn without fear of cutting themselves, but it seemed to me it would leave probably a two day growth if I left it on, so I removed it (someone please correct me if I'm doing something wrong). The first thing I'll say is it's not a razor you want to use if you're afraid of blade exposure--without the guard, it's just a metal bar holding the spine of the blade. The blade itself was shockingly smooth and comfortable. I don't care much for the Parker shavette, but the Feather AC blade is so sharp I hardly feel it. The Weck may not be quite as sharp as the Feather, but it was a very smooth, easy, and comfortable shave. I was honestly shocked at how it rivaled the Feather.

The length of the Weck is a bit shorter than my other shavettes so it would probably be troublesome if you have big hands. But I found the size allowed it to be really maneuverable, especially on the jawline, chin, and under the nose. My only gripe with it would be that the smooth metal left me feeling the razor might slip with wet fingers. I think I'll look around the house to see if I can find any kind of a grippy tape I can put on it. Overall, I'm impressed with the Weck and understand why it has its own cult following.

Quick review of the Weck razor @GeronimoWSB sent me as the one and only PIF entrant. I gave the razor a nice bath with scrubbing bubbles this morning and inserted the new blade he sent. I've have 2 other shavettes (Parker and Feather) and four straight razors--so the technique wasn't new to me. To be honest, though, I wasn't clear on the blade guard. At first I thought it would be a great way for someone to learn without fear of cutting themselves, but it seemed to me it would leave probably a two day growth if I left it on, so I removed it (someone please correct me if I'm doing something wrong). The first thing I'll say is it's not a razor you want to use if you're afraid of blade exposure--without the guard, it's just a metal bar holding the spine of the blade. The blade itself was shockingly smooth and comfortable. I don't care much for the Parker shavette, but the Feather AC blade is so sharp I hardly feel it. The Weck may not be quite as sharp as the Feather, but it was a very smooth, easy, and comfortable shave. I was honestly shocked at how it rivaled the Feather.

The length of the Weck is a bit shorter than my other shavettes so it would probably be troublesome if you have big hands. But I found the size allowed it to be really maneuverable, especially on the jawline, chin, and under the nose. My only gripe with it would be that the smooth metal left me feeling the razor might slip with wet fingers. I think I'll look around the house to see if I can find any kind of a grippy tape I can put on it. Overall, I'm impressed with the Weck and understand why it has its own cult following.
I really enjoyed my first shave as well, I started with straights and went to see and de out of curiosity and wanting to learn. This also reminded me of my right elbow, I injured it powerlifting, so I don't have full range of motion. Makes this interesting, glad you used the pif.

I'm claiming my exception of one artisan brush today. I saw a beautiful drop from Craving Shaving so I jumped on it. Now, right back to the GRUYERE and no purchases again!

Craving Shaving Gaia brush

1st PIC.PNG

Now is the time to go out and reward yourselves with a nice new razor for making it to March Madness without a purchase [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i know this isn’t the 2020 Shave Selloff thread, but I’ve now sold 10 razors from my den this year.

At 31 razors, I feel as though I’m at a number where I can better appreciate the fine attributes of each of them. I’m thinking of cutting that number back even more as I’ve decided I’m a user and not a collector.

I’ll take a breather for now, but plan on sorting through my den and doing another selloff next month. Maybe I need to come up with a list of my “top ten” razors?

...I’ll take a breather for now, but plan on sorting through my den and doing another selloff next month. Maybe I need to come up with a list of my “top ten” razors?
You could just log frequency of use for a few months. That will tell the tale with no agonizing decisions necessary.
:confused1

P.S. I like the "user not a collector" idea.

You could just log frequency of use for a few months. That will tell the tale with no agonizing decisions necessary.
:confused1

P.S. I like the "user not a collector" idea.
Good point on logging use. I can’t remember the last time I used my black beauty, new or my Aristocrat.

Car #43 chugging along, but haven't shaved in 3 days. I did pull my Gillette Old OC out last week though and gave it a few shaves with a new to me Shark Platinum. Extremely pleasant shaves.

SOTD (# 52/2020)
09-03-2020

20200308_140348-01-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Semogue 1800 (Boar)
Soap: Captain's Choice ~ Venture (sample)
Razor: Mühle R41 Grande
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (1)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Stirling Soap Executive Man AS, Nivea AS balm.

Finished another soap sample today.
I am moving quite slowly - but at least I am moving...
JAHE - #6 is still on the road.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Car 57 1939 Fiat 1500 B reporting in.

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Vintage 1980's Fatip
Blade: Polsilver (6)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo
Soap: Proraso White
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Ambra Splash
036_45.jpg

I'm also in the Fixed Four For March Madness 2020. This is the line up I'll be using: Polsilver, Proraso White, APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo, and Vintage 1980's Fatip. It has twelve prongs instead of the eleven prongs on the comb that the Mk1's and Mk2's have. If you know the movie Spinal Tap, you'll know how important this is for me.

Today, I bought my one exception. This was the New Fatip Slant. I chose the Fatip Lo Storto Original. That means the Open Comb not the Solid Bar. It feels real good to have made this purchase! Oh, and I'm still in! :w00t: :punk:

Image yourself driving down the road wearing a BBS shave from a new Slant razor. That is what dreams are all about, enjoying the drive with the new shave gear by your side [emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom