What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Still chugging along. I think having a new job to learn has taken the emphasis off acquiring new shaving gear. I have, however, spent a bit on books lately. I bought 3 books for my new job to help with the whole learning curve, but Amazon reminded me of some other non-work books I had browsed a few months back, so I got those too, and then the new Pete Townshend novel...to add to the 14 Shadow and Doc Savage pulp reprints I purchased at the beginning of the year. And now my daughter wants me to finish a short story collection she loaned me so she can re-read it. I might have to quit my new job and just take up reading full time.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Car 57 1939 Fiat 1500 B reporting in.

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Grande Cr
Blade: Lord Super Stainless (1)
Brush: Omega S10019
Soap: Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Ambra Splash
041_35.jpg

Monday's shave was a three pass bbs with dfs on my neck. Using SV Stella Alpina was a complete treat. The scent is absolutely floral alpine sweet. SV is magic soap and, for, me I rank it just ahead of MdC due to post shave feel. I know we use post shave products for that, but I'm a feel junkie and SV has good feel vibes all the way around.

I was going to use Proraso Green today, but I noticed the dropper bottle I have it decanted in had less than my Figaro Monsieur Ambra Splash. I only decant splashes that come in the 300 to 400ml range as they don't fit in my medicine cabinet. Don't worry Veg you fit. This said, that means I used Proraso Green last and so by rule of order Figaro has to be up next. The nice thing is that Figaro Monsieur Ambra Splash has a nice sweet powdery scent that pairs very well with SV Stella Alpina. The post shave feel of Figaro is nice. My skin always feels like powdery glass after I use it.

My Fatip Grande Cr is also paired quite nicely with a fresh Lord SS. I keep going back and forth whether I like platinum or stainless blades better. I think I like both.

No serious temptations to report. I'm still in.

Still in...

This weeks kit contains the following for both head and face. Got to have quick daily shaves.

Using Creams from Proraso, AoS and A&E Shave Serum. Razor is the mildest I have the Merkur 34g paired with an Astra SP for the week. Simpson's Chubby 2 Super Badger. Postshave, Thayers Unscented WH and A&E Post-Shave Serum as always. Georgetown Pottery bowl.

Monday head and face... DFS on 2 days growth. The razor is better on 24hr or less growth for me. Rest of the week should be BBS! I do know the A&E Shave Serum will be the best! Plus the Post-Shave Serum is a must have!
20200224_101758.jpg

Didn't shave all weekend, and just had a quick 1 pass shave this morning. Oddly enough the Derby Premium did a fair to middling job on my whiskers. 8 hours later I can feel stubble but it isn't outlandish :)

Almost have the RazoRock XXX finished off, and donut'ed the old puck I've been using in the shower. Both only have a few days left.

Car 51 checking in.
I feel so free not buying stuff that I do not need!
I just got back from a 3-week trip to Thailand on which I brought a Single Edge razor, Gillette Silver Blue blades, a travel brush whose origins I do not know and a puck of Amici soap from I/B. Also brought along some SVP Felice A/S and a lightly used bottle of La Toja Mentiales A/S. Got great shaves everyday and did not miss the rest of my kit back home. I found myself in a couple of the ubiquitous Thai convenience stores (there is a 7-11 and a Family Mart on practically every corner) checking out the shaving offerings but wasn't tempted to pick up anything.

Car 51 checking in.
I feel so free not buying stuff that I do not need!
I just got back from a 3-week trip to Thailand on which I brought a Single Edge razor, Gillette Silver Blue blades, a travel brush whose origins I do not know and a puck of Amici soap from I/B. Also brought along some SVP Felice A/S and a lightly used bottle of La Toja Mentiales A/S. Got great shaves everyday and did not miss the rest of my kit back home. I found myself in a couple of the ubiquitous Thai convenience stores (there is a 7-11 and a Family Mart on practically every corner) checking out the shaving offerings but wasn't tempted to pick up anything.
To say I am envious of your trip to Thailand would be an understatement. One of my favorite places on the planet.

It's Hedley, car #50 still in.

So I've discovered that these "no-buy" challenges are perhaps, just not for me. Where they inspire me and others to appreciate what we have, I note I always did. There is nothing going on there. Nothing novel at all.

It's not that I have to buy stuff, I actually find that half of the fun for me with respect to this hobby is trying new stuff. New blades, new soaps, aftershaves etc., etc. You would think that if that was the case, my love of new things inspiring me to love the hobby more, that I would love samples. And yet, I really don't. I never feel as though I'm getting the real essence of the product by snapping up a little soap or whatever and trying it. It's a start. It's the same with blades - one just isn't enough. You need a tuct to really give it a true test.

Moreover, I suppose I was never really that "bad" to begin with. When I first started shaving with straights, I tried this and that, settled on what I liked and built up a 7 day set and stopped. I have to admit though, I did kind of go a little overboard on rocks. But that's seemingly settled down. When I got back into DE's I got a few here and there, gave some away, and now I'm down to 3 unique razors and a travel set.

Soaps are my huckleberry, but even there, I generally don't have more than 10 soaps in the rotation going on at any one time. I give many away to friends and then replace them as I see fit. It's fun. And it's not so expensive that it's going to see me having any kind of difficulty paying my bills.

I'm still here and will continue to be until I'm not. A man's got to try at least and finish what he's started. But I have noticed that generally speaking, not looking at shaving stuff for fear that I'll be tempted to buy something is a total buzz kill, and for me, knowing that was worth the price of admission.

SOTD (# 42/2020)
25-02-2020

20200223_144358-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Semogue 1460 (Boar)
Soap: Murphy and McNeil ~ Trinity (Sample)
Razor: Gillette Super Speed Red Tip (C2)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (21)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Fine Platinum AS, Nivea Sensitive AS Balm

JAHE - still in

So I've discovered that these "no-buy" challenges are perhaps, just not for me. Where they inspire me and others to appreciate what we have, I note I always did. There is nothing going on there. Nothing novel at all.

It's not that I have to buy stuff, I actually find that half of the fun for me with respect to this hobby is trying new stuff. New blades, new soaps, aftershaves etc., etc. You would think that if that was the case, my love of new things inspiring me to love the hobby more, that I would love samples. And yet, I really don't. I never feel as though I'm getting the real essence of the product by snapping up a little soap or whatever and trying it. It's a start. It's the same with blades - one just isn't enough. You need a tuct to really give it a true test.

Moreover, I suppose I was never really that "bad" to begin with. When I first started shaving with straights, I tried this and that, settled on what I liked and built up a 7 day set and stopped. I have to admit though, I did kind of go a little overboard on rocks. But that's seemingly settled down. When I got back into DE's I got a few here and there, gave some away, and now I'm down to 3 unique razors and a travel set.

Soaps are my huckleberry, but even there, I generally don't have more than 10 soaps in the rotation going on at any one time. I give many away to friends and then replace them as I see fit. It's fun. And it's not so expensive that it's going to see me having any kind of difficulty paying my bills.

I'm still here and will continue to be until I'm not. A man's got to try at least and finish what he's started. But I have noticed that generally speaking, not looking at shaving stuff for fear that I'll be tempted to buy something is a total buzz kill, and for me, knowing that was worth the price of admission.
I've been there. I try this challenge most years, and fail half of them. I enjoy the hobby aspect, and as my wife is happy to point out--it's a heck of a lot cheaper than golf. I think I'll make it this year, but I totally get the feeling of this challenge killing something you enjoy as a hobby.

Still in. Enjoyed a great shave today with the old DE89

SOTD 02252020.jpg

Brush - Semogue 830
Lather - Stirling Royal soap
Razor - EJ DE89
Blade - Astra SP (24)
Post-shave - TASS Humidor

SOTD (# 43/2020)
26-02-2020

20200223_144239-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 1800 (Boar)
Soap: Dr. John's ~ Hydra (Sample)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (22)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Proraso Azur Lime AS, Nivea Sensitive AS Balm

JAHE - still in

I finished off the shave soap I was using in the shower as a bath soap today. It was an artisan soap I've had in the collection for many years, and it gave me many happy shaves as well as a few dozen nice showers.

I loaded up a Rapira Platinum Lux in my SLOC yesterday, and I have been extremely happy with the 2 shaves I have gotten from it so far. It has been a while since I used one so I was catching back up with how nice it is for my face.

Well, I did the math and realized that my replacement puck of Tabac will not see me through till 2021 if I use it every day... Basically I will need to use something else every other day, so I had a shave with Proraso White yesterday. Proraso White used to be my favorite soap, but it didn't live up to my fond memories of it at all! Basically I found the shave to be lacking slickness, comfort, and post-shave. I had no idea how spoiled I'd become by using Tabac every day. Turns out it's going to be a longer year than I had originally thought...

PS - this is not a cry for pity. I have plenty of soap and cream, and I will be just fine. I just hadn't realized how superior Tabac performs for me!

gcconspiracy still in

SOTD (# 44/2020)
27-02-2020

20200223_144534-01.jpeg

Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 24/52
Soap: Gentleman's Nod ~ Vincent (Sample)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (23)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS, Nivea Sensitive AS Balm

JAHE - #6 still in

Last edited:
SOTD (# 45/2020)
28-02-2020

20200223_145224-01.jpeg

Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Murphy and McNeil ~ Claddagh (Sample)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (24)
Postshave: fridig tap water, S. Oliver Superior AS, Nivea Sensitive AS Balm

JAHE - still in

As of tomorrow I went the whole month with the same razor for face shaves with the same blade as well as a razor and blade for my head plus maybe a week. Sunday will be a new to me razor, might put a trade offer up and try to get a mint g type injector to try lol. Still in.

#45 Still in. Using razors that have just sat for a year and working through a supply of soaps that I bought because price was right. Used a small Perfecto brush and a Parker 76R that was the first brush and razor that I bought in 2015. The razor is one that I really like but the brush has just been sitting. It wasn't bad, but I like the bigger synthetics and boar brushes now. Still working on a mental list of the razors that will find new homes. Good luck to all.

Top Bottom