What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

SOTD (# 34/2020)
15-02-2020

20200208_134514-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 24/52
Soap: Noble Otter ~ Monarch (Sample)
Razor: shimmed Mercur 15c
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (13)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Majestät AS.

JAHE - finished the first soap sample today...

I am looking to add some quantifiable analytics. But, I need everybody's help! Could you all copy the member table and add your join dates / leave dates, if you have left? Also, could you add the price of your exception?

I hope to create some beautiful charts for us...

Hi,

Most folks began Jan 1st. The few exceptions were the survivors from last year's year-long and we all started between the 1st and the 14th of January (after we'd done our restock).

So, I'd say use Jan 1st for all of us unless there is something I am not understanding as to why a last-year survivor starting a few days later means anything....

Stan - Still In

Still cruising along this year. There have been some amazing finds from people who are no longer with us. Both of the cased razors with paper inserts/receipts in good condition are fabulous and seem like great finds. The temptation with everything coming out makes for a fun/exciting/nerve-wracking journey across the continent.

I bought the GC 0.84 OC with the bulldog handle during the restock. Since receiving it, I have used one other razor and am very much a fan of it. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to use it as a daily shaver, but I got up to almost 30 shaves in a row shaving every day and the shaves only got better.

The Stirling Sharp Dressed Man is still going great. I have almost 50 shaves on the tub and am seeing some ghosting of the bottom. It seems to have started going much quicker since 30 when I barely saw a change in height.

@CzechCzar I officially joined on December 7th, but am fine with Jan 1st or Jan 14th if you want to include the restock window. My exception is approx $20 (I believe that is the minimum amount for the Bingle Buddy Gift Exchange)

Let the games continue.

Edit because I can't type.

Last edited:
I joined November 30th, with no exception, should have picked a polished Sabre. One popped up recently on the bst lol. Last shave product bought I think was December 24th . Funny how technique or a different blade can completely change your opinion on a razor. Still in the race.

Hi there Jalopiers! Just wanted to show you what life is like outside the sabbatical.

View attachment 1063670
No offense @Boghopper, but I would much rather have my arsenal inside the 2020 Sabbatical than your lot outside. This is why some of us are in the Sabbatical, so we can enjoy all the amazing stuff we have accumulated! But thanks for sharing! :thumbup:

IMG_4615.jpeg

Last edited:
SOTD (# 35/2020)
16-02-2020

20200216_113333-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Semogue Owners Club (Boar)
Soap: Barrister and Mann ~ Fouguère Angelique (Sample)
Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (14)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Stirling Orange Chill AS/Witch Hazel/Balm.

JAHE - still in

I am looking to add some quantifiable analytics. But, I need everybody's help! Could you all copy the member table and add your join dates / leave dates, if you have left? Also, could you add the price of your exception?

I hope to create some beautiful charts for us...

I joined January 1, 2020; my exception is a bit broad, but would aim to keep a brush in the $100-$150 range.

That’s just what I’ve purchased since last years sabbatical ended.
There’s MORE!
I don't need more. That's why I'm doing the sabbatical.

There's excess, and then there's ridiculous excess. I've got too much already, and it's all worth using. I want to use some of it up before getting anything new.

I joined on Nov 25. Resupplied on Jan 1 with 24 pucks of Williams and 200 Astra SPs for the 2020s "desert island" single set-up restraint.

I withdrew from this Sabbatical on Feb 4th.

I don't need more. That's why I'm doing the sabbatical.

There's excess, and then there's ridiculous excess. I've got too much already, and it's all worth using. I want to use some of it up before getting anything new.

I agree completely. That’s why I joined last years sabbatical. I’m very glad I did.
I learned somewhat, to be happy with what I have. I just went a little overboard this time.

I had my first temptation. All 4 What the Puck scents at Italian Barber sold in a set for $13. I love hard soaps and those are on my to try list. But then I remembered I still have Cade, Tabac, and PdP which will all last me a while. Plus the 5 soft soaps I’m working through...

I joined on Nov 25. Resupplied on Jan 1 with 24 pucks of Williams and 200 Astra SPs for the 2020s "desert island" single set-up restraint.

I withdrew from this Sabbatical on Feb 4th.

Gary, what made you withdraw from this one? If you survive the others you’ll definitely survive this one.

Top Bottom