What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

I'm out!

Razorock released the game changer base plates in .68 open comb, and .68 Jaws. I had the .84OC, but it was a bit too aggressive. I had the milled sloc listed as my exception, but that turned out to be a dud for me, and I have really wanted a nice stainless razor that works for me.

So, I ordered the GC 68 OC baseplate, a GC top cap, a Halo handle, and a Barrister and Mann Seville soap to try.

Kinda liberating to be able to buy stuff again.......LOL

I'm out!

Razorock released the game changer base plates in .68 open comb, and .68 Jaws. I had the .84OC, but it was a bit too aggressive. I had the milled sloc listed as my exception, but that turned out to be a dud for me, and I have really wanted a nice stainless razor that works for me.

So, I ordered the GC 68 OC baseplate, a GC top cap, a Halo handle, and a Barrister and Mann Seville soap to try.

Italian Barber strikes again! I trust you'll at least stick around the thread and cheer the rest of us on :)

Smooth sailing in car #50...

IMG_4586.jpeg

Italian Barber strikes again! I trust you'll at least stick around the thread and cheer the rest of us on :)
Or stick around the thread and encourage others to also crash their cars! 😂 I’d go out for the original Mamba baseplate—I have the 70 and it’s my favorite razor but I would try the original if I could buy just the plate and not a full razor.

Yes, I am still here in spirit.

I am working under my own slightly different rule philosophy. I call it "Den Dollar Decline (DDD)". I think that if you sell a shaving item; then you can use that money (minus all costs) to buy something else. As long as you don't add any money to the shave den it is ok. The value of your den should decline over time by using items until completion, and by the costs incurred with the selling, trading, etc.

In my mind, the whole point of the Sabbatical is to stop accumulating more stuff, and really learn what you like and how to use it. It motivated me to get rid of some stuff, and really look at what I enjoyed and should keep. If I could have found someone to trade with then I could still be in the sabbatical, but that didn't happen so I called myself out.

I have thought about starting my own Sabbatical/Restraint thread, but it seems like there are too many already going, so I am just going to do my own thing for now.

If you pass my crashed Bugatti on the side of the road wave as you go by!

The little Hornet 6 is still creeping along. I don't have the horsepower of some of the other cars, but I have a giant collection of gear in the boot so it keeps the race interesting, and the race has been interesting lately so that is always a plus.

Just a quick recap. I've finished off 2 old shave soaps in the shower using them as bath bars since the start of the race, and just started a third. The ring in the bottom fo my Palmolive bowl is a thin sliver of mushy remnant that should be shaved out this week. Hitting that with a sloppy wet brush really tore through it quickly, at the cost of a mountain of Palmolive lather spread all over the sink :)

Now for a slight bit of bad luck ( or good luck if you keep a positive mind ). I found a small box shave goodies in the back of the boot I had forgotten about so two more soaps/creams joined the inventory ledger. A bowl of grated Erasmic shave stick that a member of another forum had PIF'ed me a number of years ago, and a tub of JM Fraser's Mosswood shave cream. The Erasmic used to be a fave of mine but as SAD snuck up on me it got relegated further and further back in the collection until forgotten. I put a bit of water on it to let it bloom, and a few hours later it had regained a bit of its lemony scent so I'll probably start a 3017 on it after I finish the Palmolive.

I'm undecided about the fate of the Mosswood. It never really resonated with me, and as it is a cream I can't use it up in the shower easily. It may get File 13'ed.

So Car #43 is still rattling along the Course. Wave at me if you pass me by :)

SOTD (# 32/2020)
12-02-2020

20200208_121804.jpg

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Thäter 4125/2 2-Band Silvertip Badger Imperial Red 26 Fan Rounded
Soap: Gentleman's Nod ~ George No. 01 (Sample)
Razor: shimmed Mercur 15c
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (11)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Majestät AS.

#6 still is on the road.
I found some more unexpected soap samples in the trunk of my Audi. Expected to have twelve 1/4 oz samples in my luggage, but finally counted 19.
So I started a "sample rotation" that will last for quite some stages of our race.

JAHE - cruising towards the ferry on "No-Temptation-Alley".

I'm out!

I saw those plates.. very tempting as I find the GC68 good but would like more efficiency on some days. However, I have other OC like Fatip so I will patiently wait. Time to enjoy my den even more!

Still in! Let's keep it going people!

SOTD - 12 FEB 2020

SOTD 02122020.jpg

Brush - Semogue 830
Lather - Stirling D-503 soap
Razor - WCS Lithe base + DOC Cap
Blade - Astra SP (16)
Post-shave - Thayer's WH Rose

Good shaves. The blade is cutting but not as well as I'd like. I still had a irritation-free DFS so it's all good.

• Jan. 6th car no. 28: ’32 Ford driven by wmitchell – OUT (withdraw from rally)
  • Jan. 29th car no. 48: ’31 HillmanWizard driven by Mr. Houston – OUT
  • Feb. 7th car no. 49: Mercedes-Benz 540k driven by Azwetshaver – OUT (Wolfmanrazor)
  • Feb. 7th car no. 58: Mercedes-Benz 710SSk driven by Neffarious - Gem Damaskeen & Gold Fatboy, with pristine cases
  • Feb. 10th car no. 5: Austin 12 driven by garytha – OUT
  • Feb. 12th car no. 44: Bugatti Type 35B Grand Prix driven by AKH223 – out (GC 68 OC baseplate, a GC top cap, a Halo handle, and a Barrister and Mann Seville soap)

It looks like we're averaging 1 car out per week. I've gone 25-1/2 months without buying anything but I think I would go out if I found some $4.99 Musgo Real some guys have found at TJ Maxx/Marshall's. The world must want me to stay in the sabbatical because I didn't find any after visiting 4 stores. I did find some Proraso but I wasn't tempted by that.

#45 still in and rolling along nicely. Just back from a cruise/driving vacation. Rotated between a Parker Variant and Maggard open comb using Astra and Polsiver blades. First time using ProRaso Red cream and experimenting with face and hand lathering. I have always used a bowl or scuttle. This is one of a number of tubes that I bought because the price was good at TJ MAX and has been sitting in a drawer for months. Working through a supply of caffeinated have balm and have ample other options sitting there. I don't foresee issues but one never knows.

Head shave- paa Ascension, face- starling V2. MWF for the second time. Maol frankenlime a/s. Going to try the whole month on the same blades. My plan of a different newish razor is helping.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Last edited:
Top Bottom