What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

The daily motivation for the sabbatical today. On the left is a tub of Stirling Sharp Dressed Man with 30 shaves from it. It was the first soap I bought when I started using a brush just over two years ago. At the time I used it a few times (to be on the safe side I am going to say 5, but I think it may have been more.) I started 3017ing it on January 2nd of this year and have shaved daily. Most shaves have been 2 or 3 passes with a touchup pass and I have washed at least 2 more passes of lather down the drain.

The right is a mostly unused tub of Stirling Weekend. While the picture looks like it was taken with a potato and it is hard to see the difference, in real life it is kind of hard to see the difference in level between the two soaps. The SDM is getting certainly flatter and has started getting a slight divot in the center, however, considering that I have at least 8 other soaps waiting to be used, I have way more soap on hand than I can get through in a reasonable time.

If the slow use of products (not news to anyone here I am sure) isn't enough motivation for me to stay the course, tonight I had one of the best shaves I've had in a while. I am getting the lather dialed in, I got my GC .84 OC singing, and the Dorco Prime Blade (I know surprising right?) made the shave great. I think it is the time spent enjoying what I have that helped make the shave so effortless and pleasant.
View attachment 1056730
Thank you for your time and patience. Enjoy your journeys.

I have been tracking my Stirling usage, and I get average of 31 shaves from a 1 oz. sample. I expect to get 150 to 180 shaves from the large 5.8oz tub. I have 50 on my electric sheep, and it doesnt look like I have dropped the level at all. You probably have over a year of shaves in just those two tubs.

I pulled out my trusty electric trimmer this morning to clean my goatee to start the work week. When it wouldn’t turn on I thought no problem—5 minutes plugged in will give me enough juice to be presentable at work. Still nothing... After twenty minutes plugged in I tried one last time before I had to leave and it’s dead—I guess the niCad battery is shot (this trimmer is several years old). Is there a manual way to evenly trim a goatee? If not, I think I’ll need to replace it and I think it falls under the “if something breaks and you don’t have a suitable replacement you can buy one and remain in the sabbatical” rule. I’ve seen Wahl trimmers at TJ Max for $10, so not a big deal cost wise.

It can be done with a comb and scissors. Might require a little practice so don't cut too short at first.
:smile1:
Interesting. I don’t have any scissors except cheap paper ones and my wife’s crafting scissors. I’m sure the crafting scissors are sharper, but I’d get throttled by SWMBO.

I have been tracking my Stirling usage, and I get average of 31 shaves from a 1 oz. sample. I expect to get 150 to 180 shaves from the large 5.8oz tub. I have 50 on my electric sheep, and it doesnt look like I have dropped the level at all. You probably have over a year of shaves in just those two tubs.

I started a large tub of Gatlinburg in mid December and seeing the same thing. I'll monitor but hoping it'll get me through my Fixed Four in March. I've got a tub of their grapefruit and a RR lime I want to use when the weather warms up.

I pulled out my trusty electric trimmer this morning to clean my goatee to start the work week. When it wouldn’t turn on I thought no problem—5 minutes plugged in will give me enough juice to be presentable at work. Still nothing... After twenty minutes plugged in I tried one last time before I had to leave and it’s dead—I guess the niCad battery is shot (this trimmer is several years old). Is there a manual way to evenly trim a goatee? If not, I think I’ll need to replace it and I think it falls under the “if something breaks and you don’t have a suitable replacement you can buy one and remain in the sabbatical” rule. I’ve seen Wahl trimmers at TJ Max for $10, so not a big deal cost wise.

I suggest trying a different wall-socket first. Maybe the one you used went dead.

Interesting. I don’t have any scissors except cheap paper ones and my wife’s crafting scissors. I’m sure the crafting scissors are sharper, but I’d get throttled by SWMBO.
You want to use scissors made for cutting hair, barbers call them shears. They cut very cleanly, and look similar to these:
shears-2.jpg

Broke out the Pre de Provence this morning (that stuff lasts forever). I wanted to have an excellent shave before resigning my job. I'm moving to another mass medium (TV) and saying farewell to the Newspaper game. A fellow newspaper veteran always compared working for one like being in a bad marriage: You still love her, remember the good times, and find it hard to leave her even though she's not given back in the relationship for a long time.

Broke out the Pre de Provence this morning (that stuff lasts forever). I wanted to have an excellent shave before resigning my job. I'm moving to another mass medium (TV) and saying farewell to the Newspaper game. A fellow newspaper veteran always compared working for one like being in a bad marriage: You still love her, remember the good times, and find it hard to leave her even though she's not given back in the relationship for a long time.
Good luck!

SOTD (# 17/2020)
27-01-2020

View attachment 1056726

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Semogue 1800 (Boar)
Soap: Calani ~ Malabar
Razor: Gillette Pre War Tech (Canada)
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (4)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Nivea After Shave Balm Sensitive.

JAHE - still in

Nice razor!

I have one just like it, my only heirloom razor.

In fact it may have even been used in concert with some of that famously cold German tap water, as my grandfather was stationed in Germany (Soest) in the 1950's.

Did you find yours locally, or on the Internet?

Did a quick shave with my Paa starling V2, got in a hurry ,two small weepers but a great easy shave. Head shaved I think 5 or 6 days growth with my Ascension/wizamet. The Starling had trouble so called in the Doc. Almost done with the 2016 tabac. Got a refill to toss in and will try mwf for awhile.still in.

Did a quick shave with my Paa starling V2, got in a hurry ,two small weepers but a great easy shave. Head shaved I think 5 or 6 days growth with my Ascension/wizamet. The Starling had trouble so called in the Doc. Almost done with the 2016 tabac. Got a refill to toss in and will try mwf for awhile.still in.

I am astonished that I more or less understand thls post.

It's as if we've evolved into using a shaving dialect of 1940s RAF Spitfire squadron pilot jargon. A good shave is starting to sound like shooting down a Messerschmitt.

I ended up buying a replacement beard trimmer last night. I left my old one plugged in all day and it just barely had power but the speed was all over the place. I figured my only option was to shave the goatee or replace the trimmer. Considering that my wife (and I) like the goatee, shaving it off wasn’t a valid choice. So I’m invoking rule 11 about replacing something that broke with no suitable replacement (not to mention I never would have even thought to replace my trimmer if it hadn’t broke). Hopefully you all agree with me and let me continue in the race.

Aside from that, I’ve had zero temptations to buy any soap, cream, blades, razors, after shaves, etc. I’m still proudly working down my stash.

Car #35 here. No accidents or mishaps to report. The soap tank is still almost full after nearly a month on the road! Also, through sheer luck, we ended up with more blades in the trunk than at the start of the race! There was an airdrop of 100 blades from @GaryTha in the middle of the month. Couldn't quite make it out, but the plane had some letters on the side: P-I-F or something like that.

I've decided to make an effort to work on my Pre de Provence as I've had it 5 years now and it looks like it's only been lathered a couple times. This soap just keeps going. It must be related to MDC. I'm going to keep using it at least through Valentine's day and see if I make a dent (literally) in it. It was a PIF from @babydials and it had already had a few lathers on it when I got it.

I've decided to make an effort to work on my Pre de Provence as I've had it 5 years now and it looks like it's only been lathered a couple times. This soap just keeps going...
People can get around 250-300 shaves from one puck of PdP. Definitely one of longer lasting ones.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I ended up buying a replacement beard trimmer last night. I left my old one plugged in all day and it just barely had power but the speed was all over the place. I figured my only option was to shave the goatee or replace the trimmer. Considering that my wife (and I) like the goatee, shaving it off wasn’t a valid choice. So I’m invoking rule 11 about replacing something that broke with no suitable replacement (not to mention I never would have even thought to replace my trimmer if it hadn’t broke). Hopefully you all agree with me and let me continue in the race.

Aside from that, I’ve had zero temptations to buy any soap, cream, blades, razors, after shaves, etc. I’m still proudly working down my stash.
IMHO a beard trimmer is not for shaving, but for beard sculpting. If I were to buy beard oil it wouldn't put me out.

Top Bottom