What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For me, the aftershave is the best part of the shave. I don't find much fun with most aftershaves that are mostly alcohol, water and scent (i.e. most drugstore aftershaves, Fine, and most others).

The alcohol-based aftershaves that focus on skin-foods (e.g. Chatlllon Lux, Maol Grooming), however, make a huge difference. Tonight I'm still enjoying the scent of Weinstrasse (from Chatillon Lux), and my skin feels utterly healthy, 12 hours later. Maol's aftershave, though alcohol-based, is the balmiest feel I can get.

I'm 63, and never used an aftershave until about six years ago. I'll never do without again.

I think this is definitely YMMV territory.
I just don't need the skin help. I have oily skin within 6 hours with soaps that some consider drying. Some AS and especially Balms speed that up by several hours. In the summer I often wash my face partway through the day to cut the oil or use a dry paper towel to absorb it. This is why I don't get all gaga as some do over post shave feel etc. My natural post shave feel probably is as good as many of you get with an skin maintenance focused artisan soap.

SOTD (# 14/2020)
22-01-2020

20200116_130434-01-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White preshave cream
Brush: Shavemac Synthetic 24/52
Soap: Murphy & McNeil ~ Claddagh
Razor: Mühle R89 Twist
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (2)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Fine Fresh Vetiver AS, Nivea After Shave Balm.

JAHE - still in

I think this is definitely YMMV territory.
I just don't need the skin help. I have oily skin within 6 hours with soaps that some consider drying. Some AS and especially Balms speed that up by several hours. In the summer I often wash my face partway through the day to cut the oil or use a dry paper towel to absorb it. This is why I don't get all gaga as some do over post shave feel etc. My natural post shave feel probably is as good as many of you get with an skin maintenance focused artisan soap.
I'm also oily and prefer the alcohol splash. I even have found a couple moisturizers I like, Kiehl's Oil Eliminator and I just used up a Birthday tube of Philosophy Matte Moisturizer (a QVC product). They help remove the shine.

Hi,

Wallace! My old racing buddy!

In 97, I bought a new truck. Main use was pulling my race trailer. I got this little miniature Wallace at, I think, KFC at that time. I posed him like he's in a car, arms out, right foot planted. stuck him on the dash. I quit racing after the 05 season. Still have the truck. Wallace is still there! I really ought to go take a pic....

Stan -Still In

We’re just over a week away from finishing January with everyone still in. Has any annual sabbatical made it to February without losing at least one participant?

We’re just over a week away from finishing January with everyone still in. Has any annual sabbatical made it to February without losing at least one participant?

We lost one. wmitchell

Last year, we lost 3 in January and about 15 in February.

Still in. Didn't get to shave the last three days because of a move. Finally shaved tonight and it was great.

Semogue 1438
Stirling - The Lounge
Gillette red tip
Gillette yellow

Haven't used my other two brushes since buying the 1438 back in November.

In. Daily routine is PdP, RR synthetic and RR Baby Smooth DE. Binned all my Voskhod blades and am working through a 10 pack of UK packaged IPs.

Still in. Didn't get to shave the last three days because of a move. Finally shaved tonight and it was great.

Semogue 1438
Stirling - The Lounge
Gillette red tip
Gillette yellow

Haven't used my other two brushes since buying the 1438 back in November.
Very nice setup. The Red Tip is one of my favourite razors. Great tool - and a neat looking one, too.
Did you enconter any issues with the painting of the Semogue as yet? I read somewhere else that the painted Semougues sometimes are prone to "colour cracks" due to soaking of the brush...?!

SOTD (# 15/2020)
24-01-2020

20200116_130604-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White preshave cream
Brush: Semogue 1800 (Boar)
Soap: Barrister & Mann ~ Nordost
Razor: Mühle R89 Twist
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (3)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Stirling Orange Chill AS, Stirling Orange Chill Witch Hazel, Stirling Orange Chill Post Shave Balm.

JAHE - still in

Monthly check-in. Moving slowly but still on course.
Along the way I picked up my exception, the Pils 101 NE, but I will not use the razor until my birthday in late February.
Shave gear for the next moon:
2002.jpg

Tatara Masamune, Scheermonnik Soek, nom Alfred15BA, Tiger & Tatra Platinum.

Very nice setup. The Red Tip is one of my favourite razors. Great tool - and a neat looking one, too.
Did you enconter any issues with the painting of the Semogue as yet? I read somewhere else that the painted Semougues sometimes are prone to "colour cracks" due to soaking of the brush...?!

The paint is fine. I only submerge about 3/4 of the bristles when soaking. I also flick the excess water out and dry the handle after each use. Perhaps this will keep the paint from cracking.

Still in, had a great shave with the Yaqi tech clone this morning and Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber products. I'm going to be changing media pretty soon, leaving the newspaper business after more than 35 years of trudging through ink in favor of the broadcast television game. I figure there's about 10 more years of life in broadcast than in print. Just enough to get me into my retirement.

Top Bottom