What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

#4 here and just cruising around in my 1937 supercharged Cord. I looked at my inventory tonight and it looks like I could make it through a leap year sabbatical.

There is still time to join. It can be buy to replace if you run out of anything.

1579342503107.png

I've still got a couple of items from December to arrive yet, a lather bowl traveling from China and a Rudy Vey brush that is yet to be made. Some of the new stainless steel razors are tempting, but after I see the price tag I'm no longer interested.

I'm struggling today. My finger was hovering over the buy it now button for a Parker travel razor on eBay. I already have two Parker Shavettes and a Parker Semi Slant.
I've held out though
Screenshot_20200118_141306.jpg

I'm struggling today. My finger was hovering over the buy it now button for a Parker travel razor on eBay. I already have two Parker Shavettes and a Parker Semi Slant.
I've held out though
The rules allow you to trade with a few limitations. Your slant is a three piece, maybe a shorter handle would fit it? You only need the handle that way. Or just "run with what you brung."

The rules allow you to trade with a few limitations. Your slant is a three piece, maybe a shorter handle would fit it? You only need the handle that way. Or just "run with what you brung."
Yes the slant is a 3 piece.
I suppose a short handle would fit. I don't really need a travel razor when traveling I usually take a Shavette
It's just a case of it looked really cool and I wanted it. You know how that goes I bet

I"m keeping a wish list for things that pop up like that. I make a note and hopefully by the time next year rolls around, I will no longer want 90% of the things on that list.
:lol1:

I did this last year and it worked. I don’t even have a list this year.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Extremely long day yesterday and got home from a week on the road after midnight to a snow filled driveway. After showering I was just going to go straight to bed when I glanced up at my tiny herd of brushes and fairly new tub of Art Of Shaving eucalyptus shave cream and decided I still had enough energy to get a shave in.

In honor of this group and sabbaticals past I reached past my front runners (Simpson Chubby 3 and Omega silvertip) and grabbed my beloved TGN silvertip in an Ever-Ready handle that I received from @brianw during my last sabbatical. This was my first silvertip and is always an absolute pleasure to use.

It was such a delightful shave and filled with fond memories. This place still brings me great joy even when I’m not connected.

So there you have it. How’s that for 150 words?

Extremely long day yesterday and got home from a week on the road after midnight to a snow filled driveway. After showering I was just going to go straight to bed when I glanced up at my tiny herd of brushes and fairly new tub of Art Of Shaving eucalyptus shave cream and decided I still had enough energy to get a shave in.

In honor of this group and sabbaticals past I reached past my front runners (Simpson Chubby 3 and Omega silvertip) and grabbed my beloved TGN silvertip in an Ever-Ready handle that I received from @brianw during my last sabbatical. This was my first silvertip and is always an absolute pleasure to use.

It was such a delightful shave and filled with fond memories. This place still brings me great joy even when I’m not connected.

So there you have it. How’s that for 150 words?

One word short. You could sign it.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

Well, since the whole counting thing was just an afterthought after I thought it might be close and I’m not really participating in any of the events, I think I’ll just leave it alone. I already edited it once when I realized I was missing a “to” and deleted an “a” to keep the count the same.

So there you have it from the sidelines. Keep up the good work gentlemen. Race on!

2SOTD (# 11/2020)
18-01-2020

20200118_141909-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White preshave cream
Brush: Strirling Soap Finest Badger (Fan) 24/50
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Tuscany
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Wilkonson Sword /Germany (9)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm.

JAHE - on track.

I concluded on several aims as well...

1. Stop buying any more stuff.
2. Stop buying any more stuff.
3. Stop buying any more stuff.
4. Revise the stuff I already have and learn how to make to most out of it.
5. Simply be confident with the stuff I already have - one does not need the latest shiny stuff.
6. Focus on improving my shaving technique.
7. Resist any temptation as soon as they arise.
8. Did I already mention: "stop buying any more stuff"?
8. Finally: focus again on no. 1.

JAHE - still in.
I think if you keep on with 4, 5 and 6, the rest will happen naturally. There’s plenty of pleasure to be found in the good things you have, including your skills and improvement over time.

That’s pretty much where I am at, and why I am confident my Triumph Gloria Vitesse will get to the finish line. I am enjoying the ride.

Tried a wizamet again in my Paa Ascension. Head shave and then face shave , with tabac. Fabulous shave. Was planning on giving each razor a month but this is dialed in with at least two brands of blades. Thinking of going to my next razor and then the last couple months rotate back through all my razors for a shave a piece.

I have so much shaving stuff, - I could give away 90% of it and I would still have a lot! Like others have said, for me this is about not depriving myself of stuff I need - it is about forcing myself to focus on and appreciate what I have instead of thinking that nothing is good enough and always looking ahead to the next shiny object. I have been checking out the BST occasionally, and seeing some mighty attractive things for sale, but I do not feel tempted to break my commitment to myself and this group. I know how my brain works, but I want to be free of my consumerist impulses.

Top Bottom