What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

In my opinion...

• The rules are the rules - exemptions are closed.
Also, the possibility that a Hillman Wizard could meet its demise at the hands (paws?) of a Wolfman is too much narrative potential to refuse.

Survive or crash, either way it will be good fun.

Best of luck to everyone, my restock arrived and I'm looking forward to completing a hat trick.
It looks like we've got a dedicated group this year, see you at the finish line!
replen2020.jpg

SOTD (# 10/2020)
17-01-2020

20200116_130233-01.jpeg
Preshave: Proraso White preshave cream
Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Gentleman' s Nod ~ Ernest (#85)
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux (1)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Alverde Sensitive After Shave Balm.

JAHE - still in.

My restock came in this week too:

• the two aftershaves I use, both of which I expect to deplete my existing supplies of later this year
  • SV soaps to try for the first time
  • About a 4 year supply of Bic blades at my rate of consumption. Never tried them, hope I like them
  • Stockpile of Ach Brito soap for prep, since I was ordering from a vendor that stocks it, bringing me up to a 4-5 year supply for this item
  • A few tucks of freebie blades
With that, I am set for this year and shouldn’t need to restock anything next year.
3E648997-FA50-462F-97B0-76368DDCB53F.jpeg

Another report from the Wolsey Hornet 6 car.

I pulled a tuck of Derby USTAs out today to give them some due diligence as they had only been used by me once, and tucked away after a less than stellar initial performance. This shave ( in a different razor I'll point out ) was simply marvelous. Lesson learned ... don't give up on a 'new' blade without giving it a fair shake.

I am glad this sabbatical is letting me focus on my existing stock, and not distracting me with the newest 'shiny' new toy arriving from Amazon.

This is a cute looking brush. Pls share some more details with us... :w00t:

Thank you, kind sir. I've got one inexpensive badger brush I truly enjoy so I thought I'd buck up a few pesos to try another; this one is an Edwin Jagger black badger with a 21mm knot and 52 mm loft. It's been washed a couple of times, still carries a bit of funk but it really whips up a nice lather with Stirling soap. I like a bit of scritch and scrub so I chose pure over best; this one certainly delivers.

A side note; agree with your comment on giving blades a chance; I tried out a Shaverboy blade for the first time in my Fendrihan MK 1 and had a terrible, tuggy, rough shave which left multiple patches of stubble after three passes. Two days later, same blade in a Razorock Mentor yielded smooth, comfortable results. I'll go through a few of them before final judgement but at this point I'll rank them higher than Treet, Bolzano, and Dorcos, and just under Vokshod and Derby.
Perseverence can definitely be rewarded.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Report from car 57 1939 Fiat 1500 B. I'm still going and have not been tempted I'm just enjoying what I have.

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Noce
Blade: Shark Platinum (5)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Cashmere
Soap: Stirling Frozen Tundra
Aftershave: Stirling Frozen Tundra
032_40.jpg

second shave with the Yaqi Tech clone and had my first weeper in months. I think it's my fault, though. I was nervous about a job interview.

Car #35 reporting in. Smooth going so far on this leg of the course. No breakdowns or mishaps so far. Navigator is keeping us on the straight and narrow.

Gillette Tech pre-war fat handle
Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Semogue 1250
Wholly Kaw Argumi in Estate sample soap
Dickinson's WH + Robert's rose water
Razorock American Barber splash

Running through mechanical checks prior to next segment.

Car 44 here.

I finally received the last item I purchased last year (Yaqi sagrada familia).
I have decided that I need to set some goals for the year, so here goes:
1. Finish up a bunch of Stirling samples. Have about 6 or so, and each one lasts me about a month.
2. Pick out one of the new Razorock soaps I got (stocked up during their moving sale) and then use it until its gone! I have recently been tracking how many shaves a soap will last, and this is a good opportunity to stick to one and see it through.
3. Finish up some of the last bits of some old soaps.
4. Clean out some blades that I bought to try. I need to get busy trying them, and decide if they are keepers or not.
5. Dont buy any more stuff!!

Off to the next checkpoint!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
My restock came in this week too:

• the two aftershaves I use, both of which I expect to deplete my existing supplies of later this year
  • SV soaps to try for the first time
  • About a 4 year supply of Bic blades at my rate of consumption. Never tried them, hope I like them
  • Stockpile of Ach Brito soap for prep, since I was ordering from a vendor that stocks it, bringing me up to a 4-5 year supply for this item
  • A few tucks of freebie blades
With that, I am set for this year and shouldn’t need to restock anything next year.
View attachment 1053442

Nice show. I think I could easily get by for a year on this. Would probably run out of aftershave, but I’m assuming that there was still some left over from last year.

Nice show. I think I could easily get by for a year on this. Would probably run out of aftershave, but I’m assuming that there was still some left over from last year.
I do have some leftover, yes. I use an aftershave after almost every shave, but I guess I use it sparingly. A bottle of Speick lasts me well over a year, and I am still on my first bottle of Lucky Tiger after two or three years of less frequent use.

It will be a few months before I touch one of my new soaps. I have five soaps in rotation now, and I mean to use up two at least before opening a new one.

#4 here and just cruising around in my 1937 supercharged Cord. I looked at my inventory tonight and it looks like I could make it through a leap year sabbatical.

Still in here. Enjoying the first 17 days of the purchase sabbatical. My final acquisition from 2019 showed up the other day, so now I have a new toy. No more packages expected (and that seems ok with me).

second shave with the Yaqi Tech clone and had my first weeper in months. I think it's my fault, though. I was nervous about a job interview.

Good luck with the interview!

I am glad this sabbatical is letting me focus on my existing stock, and not distracting me with the newest 'shiny' new toy arriving from Amazon.

A side note; agree with your comment on giving blades a chance; I tried out a Shaverboy blade for the first time in my Fendrihan MK 1 and had a terrible, tuggy, rough shave which left multiple patches of stubble after three passes. Two days later, same blade in a Razorock Mentor yielded smooth, comfortable results. I'll go through a few of them before final judgement but at this point I'll rank them higher than Treet, Bolzano, and Dorcos, and just under Vokshod and Derby.
Perseverence can definitely be rewarded.

@Esetter As regards to perseverence, I agree with your post - although the initial post was one of @geneaut (our cars really look similiar...😉). Preseverence is something that I quite missed out in the past...

I may add another aspect of razor/blade combos.

When I started with adjustables I was very cautious to use them on higher settings. On lower setting I never managed to get smooth (and tugging free) shaves with any of my adjustables if loaded with a Rapira Platinum Lux. At least not to an extent which made me confident. I concluded that the blades are simply too dull... So the blades went back in my cabinet and did not see any further use. I almost forgot them because I headed to the next brand, and the next brand, and... I did not take my time to learn and understand my gear.

Now, with the start of the sabbatical I made my mind and began to revise my stuff. One of the initial decisions made was to give this blade brand a new try. This time I chose a setting of 7 (8 ATG) with a Slim. Now this really made a difference! No tugging anymore, instead the shave turned out to be smooth and efficient.

This finding appears to be the second insight of my sabbital time (although it is too early to make the final judgment after just one shave, but I see a tendency which relates directly to my first insight: using an adjustable razor on a higher setting provides better shave results for me (especially when comes to the ATG-pass). YMMV, of course!)

I guess I shouldn´t have blamed the blade but rather the guy who shaves...

Way more surprises seem to lay ahead in course of this sabbatical-race... 🤪

Happy shaves - and drive carefully!

Car 44 here.

I finally received the last item I purchased last year (Yaqi sagrada familia).
I have decided that I need to set some goals for the year, so here goes:
1. Finish up a bunch of Stirling samples. Have about 6 or so, and each one lasts me about a month.
2. Pick out one of the new Razorock soaps I got (stocked up during their moving sale) and then use it until its gone! I have recently been tracking how many shaves a soap will last, and this is a good opportunity to stick to one and see it through.
3. Finish up some of the last bits of some old soaps.
4. Clean out some blades that I bought to try. I need to get busy trying them, and decide if they are keepers or not.
5. Dont buy any more stuff!!

Off to the next checkpoint!

I concluded on several aims as well...

1. Stop buying any more stuff.
2. Stop buying any more stuff.
3. Stop buying any more stuff.
4. Revise the stuff I already have and learn how to make to most out of it.
5. Simply be confident with the stuff I already have - one does not need the latest shiny stuff.
6. Focus on improving my shaving technique.
7. Resist any temptation as soon as they arise.
8. Did I already mention: "stop buying any more stuff"?
8. Finally: focus again on no. 1.

JAHE - still in.

Top Bottom