What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

:jump: now that made my day... LOL.

So, you think there might be a consumer´s demand for this?:laugh:
I already can imagine the commercial slogan...

MR JAHE´s GERMAN WONDER TONIC
FRIDIG-LIQUID-ICE COLD

Get yours, now!

Now the occuring picture of someone carrying a large glass bottle to the airport counter will make me smile, too, whenever I type these words in my SOTD-post.:clap:

However, the explanation for the "ice cold water" statement is quite simple.
Once I have finished my shave, I rinse off the excess lather under running tab water. Since we have "winter" here in Germany (or something similiar, reminds me more of early spring, you know, the climate change) our tab water, which is getting delivered from a nearby drinking water dam, is quite frigid these days.
I usually rinse my neck longer than a minute - until the skin in this area almost aches due to the low water temperature ... it really does help me to avoid redness/skin irritation (unfortunately I have quite sensitive skin in my neck area). So this is reason why I write "ice cold water"...

Happy shaves, Ryanshh!

Close, but one word too long. Good info though.

My shaving journey started with an electric razor. It provided hassle free, fast shaves without any preparation, but the result was never as clean as I wanted. When I really needed a clean shave, I used here and then cartridges with canned foam, which my skin never really appreciated. At a guess the irritation might not be from the cartridge but rather from the canned foam, I gave a try at shaving soap. The skin irritation was gone, but the use of cartridges with protective lather from shaving soap was a pain, it just kept clogging up.

The next logical step was to swap the cartridge for a DE razor. First I had of course to learn the proper technique and make the best out of a given setup. There is definitely no turning back. It always provides me with good, clean results and skin irritations are gone as well.

150! Did you want to join the Circle of Commitment?

PIF WINNERS - 100 GILLETTE WILKINSON SWORD BLADES FOR EACH WINNER
Substitutions permitted.

Everyone's participation was amazing! Twelve people out of twenty-three submitted an essay. Several from outside the circle also wrote essays.

Please send me your address. If you elect not to accept the PIF, please make up a little contest to redirect the PIF to another member of the Circle of Commitment.

The next PIF will be around Feb 1, 2020.

Atlantic59, CzechCzar

1579095964057.png

Last edited:
Congrats to the Wilkie winners! I'm trying to see which razors are kind to my Crystal blades. Another fine shave this morning with a Crystal blade in a Silver Star 3 piece (one of my all-time favorite mild razors). I have a straight that I received in a PIF. I was thinking of just shaving my cheeks this weekend, kind of dipping my toe in the straight edge pool. The idea of a full exposed blade still scares the heck out of me. Obviously, a straight will not be used in my shower shave (that will be a whole new practice to get used to as I've shaved predominately in the shower for the past 40 years).

Another change is, having pronounced the name "purt" for my adult life, all the broadcast tributes pronounce Neil Peart's name "peert." I guess I’ll have to get used to the correct pronunciation now.

SOTD (# 9/2020)
15-01-2020
20200112_095651-01-01.jpeg
Preshave: Proraso White preshave cream
Brush: NOM Gustav Havanna Synthetic
Soap: Captain' s Choice ~ Venture
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Wilkonson Sword /Germany (7)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Fine Platinum AS, Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm.

JAHE - still in.

Near perfect shave , think I have my Paa Ascension dialed in. Head and face shave, tabac, Omega brush and a first time to try out Gillette Platinum, no irritation or weepers.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Not sure why I’m attracted to this thread. I’ve been reading nearly all of the posts. Maybe I’m just a little too bored/disconnected with the rest of B&B these days.

You guys are doing a great job. Stay strong.

Sure, I'll let you go if you'd like. However, you won't slow the group if you can't participate in some activities. Even if a contest falls short of the required number of participants, the PIF will roll forward to another PIF.

This Circle of Commitment thing is new to me, so I'm making up some guidelines as I go along. My original intent was people would sign up to remain through March. Then there would be an off-ramp. I think a quarterly off-ramp is still a good idea. Would you care to stay through the first quarter?

Whatever you decide is good.

I can't decide (can you tell I may be indecisive), I think I'll bow out of the CoC but will cheer from the stands for us all.

PIF WINNERS - 100 GILLETTE WILKINSON SWORD BLADES FOR EACH WINNER
Substitutions permitted.

Everyone's participation was amazing! Twelve people out of twenty-three submitted an essay. Several from outside the circle also wrote essays.

Please send me your address. If you elect not to accept the PIF, please make up a little contest to redirect the PIF to another member of the Circle of Commitment.

The next PIF will be around Feb 1, 2020.

Atlantic59, CzechCzar

View attachment 1052814

Congrats to the winners and Gary for the generosity and the fun!

Not sure why I’m attracted to this thread. I’ve been reading nearly all of the posts. Maybe I’m just a little too bored/disconnected with the rest of B&B these days.

You guys are doing a great job. Stay strong.

It is nice to have you here. Thank you for supporting the participants.

I have a request to change my no exemptions to one exception for a Wolfman razor. From what I am reading, I may actually have a shot of my name coming up on the waiting list. That would be such a unique opportunity that I would not be able to pass it up.

What do you say?
  • We are just getting started, so no harm done. or
  • The rules are the rules - exemptions are closed.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have a request to change my no exemptions to one exception for a Wolfman razor. From what I am reading, I may actually have a shot of my name coming up on the waiting list. That would be such a unique opportunity that I would not be able to pass it up.

What do you say?
  • We are just getting started, so no harm done. or
  • The rules are the rules - exemptions are closed.
I can only tell you my experience from a couple of years ago, when I tried to change from one exception to another. That was not allowed at the time.

Changing from no exceptions to one exception is uncharted territory for me. I would allow it myself but let's see what others say.

Happy official start to the sabbatical now that all restock windows are exhausted. I know I am a day late. Looks like the race is on and so far everyone has done well on the purchase front. Nice job so far, keep up the good work!

Just received the Yaqi razor heads I ordered in December (December 11 to be exact). Tried out the Tech clone this morning. What a great shave. I am going to be using this one quite a bit.

Top Bottom