What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Doesn't look like there's any room to join the circle, all spaces appear accounted for, or did I miss something? I've been out of touch for a few days.

1578994827749.png

I think I'd like to be removed from the circle of commitment, not because I think or am planning on failing out; more so that I travel for work in the spring and summer and don't want to slow up the group if I cannot participate in some activities. So I'd like to be removed, please :)

Sure, I'll let you go if you'd like. However, you won't slow the group if you can't participate in some activities. Even if a contest falls short of the required number of participants, the PIF will roll forward to another PIF.

This Circle of Commitment thing is new to me, so I'm making up some guidelines as I go along. My original intent was people would sign up to remain through March. Then there would be an off-ramp. I think a quarterly off-ramp is still a good idea. Would you care to stay through the first quarter?

Whatever you decide is good.

SOTD (# 8/2020)
14-01-2020

20200112_095953-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White preshave cream
Brush: Omega Synthetic 46138 Hi Brush 24/57
Soap: Stirling Soap "Hipster"
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable
Blade: Wilkonson Sword /Germany (6)
Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm...

JAHE - still in.

Postshave: ice cold german tap water, Nivea Sensitive Aftershave Balm...

I don't know why, but even knowing that you are from Germany based on your profile, I imagine someone importing large glass bottles of german tap water that they keep in an ice bath just to use as a post-shave splash. It makes me smile every time and it probably shouldn't because it isn't that funny.

I was a cartridge and canned foam user since I started shaving, always upgrading to the latest Gillette system. I wanted to be clean shaven daily, but I had to compromise. Normally, I would shave every 3 days, because my face couldn't take it more frequently. The more the blades, the worse the irritation.

In April 2018, I stumbled upon an article about shaving where DE razors were mentioned. A few days later I decided giving it a try and bought my first kit. It turns out that my skin is normal, it just can't tolerate multi-blade cartridges. Now I do 3-pass shaves every day without any problem. I am a happy camper. Perhaps, too happy...

I plunged into all ADs, razors, brushes, soaps, blades, AS. Now that my technique is solid, I want to reduce the excess items. The one thing I liked from my cartridge days was simplicity.

I was a cartridge and canned foam user since I started shaving, always upgrading to the latest Gillette system. I wanted to be clean shaven daily, but I had to compromise. Normally, I would shave every 3 days, because my face couldn't take it more frequently. The more the blades, the worse the irritation.

In April 2018, I stumbled upon an article about shaving where DE razors were mentioned. A few days later I decided giving it a try and bought my first kit. It turns out that my skin is normal, it just can't tolerate multi-blade cartridges. Now I do 3-pass shaves every day without any problem. I am a happy camper. Perhaps, too happy...

I plunged into all ADs, razors, brushes, soaps, blades, AS. Now that my technique is solid, I want to reduce the excess items. The one thing I liked from my cartridge days was simplicity.

Nice exactly 150-word post!

Did you want to join the Circle of Commitment. If so, please click on the link and read the post. Then let me know.

Thanks

Where I was about 7-8 years ago. I was tired of the bumps and irritation, the stupid expense, the gunk I couldn't get out of a 4 or 5 blade cart. I'm old enough to have first started with a DE just before the carts came out. In returning to that, I ended up here and down the rabbit hole I went. Turns out that straight razors are at the bottom along with making your own soap and other forms of acquired madness.

Where I was about 7-8 years ago. I was tired of the bumps and irritation, the stupid expense, the gunk I couldn't get out of a 4 or 5 blade cart. I'm old enough to have first started with a DE just before the carts came out. In returning to that, I ended up here and down the rabbit hole I went. Turns out that straight razors are at the bottom alng with making your own soap and other forms of acquired madness.

So you say there is hope. :lol1:

Learning to use a straight razor is the only temptation I have these days. But it seems like another case of focusing illusion following the lines of the linked article that @GaryTha posted earlier.

In order to be in the drawing, the drivers must write a 150-word post about shaving based on this article.

Focusing Illusion
Daniel Kahneman

I am getting very good to great shaves, so I am probably more drawn to the "romantic" idea of using a straight. I have a few years of sabbaticals to sleep on it like @KQY61 did. :)

Happy shaves! :)

My shaving journey started with an electric razor. It provided hassle free, fast shaves without any preparation, but the result was never as clean as I wanted. When I really needed a clean shave, I used here and then cartridges with canned foam, which my skin never really appreciated. At a guess the irritation might not be from the cartridge but rather from the canned foam, I gave a try at shaving soap. The skin irritation was gone, but the use of cartridges with protective lather from shaving soap was a pain, it just kept clogging up.

The next logical step was to swap the cartridge for a DE razor. First I had of course to learn the proper technique and make the best out of a given setup. There is definitely no turning back. It always provides me with good, clean results and skin irritations are gone as well.

I don't know why, but even knowing that you are from Germany based on your profile, I imagine someone importing large glass bottles of german tap water that they keep in an ice bath just to use as a post-shave splash.

:jump: now that made my day... LOL.

So, you think there might be a consumer´s demand for this?:laugh:
I already can imagine the commercial slogan...

MR JAHE´s GERMAN WONDER TONIC
FRIDIG-LIQUID-ICE COLD

Get yours, now!

It makes me smile every time and it probably shouldn't because it isn't that funny.
Now the occuring picture of someone carrying a large glass bottle to the airport counter will make me smile, too, whenever I type these words in my SOTD-post.:clap:

However, the explanation for the "ice cold water" statement is quite simple.
Once I have finished my shave, I rinse off the excess lather under running tab water. Since we have "winter" here in Germany (or something similiar, reminds me more of early spring, you know, the climate change) our tab water, which is getting delivered from a nearby drinking water dam, is quite frigid these days.
I usually rinse my neck longer than a minute - until the skin in this area almost aches due to the low water temperature ... it really does help me to avoid redness/skin irritation (unfortunately I have quite sensitive skin in my neck area). So this is reason why I write "ice cold water"...

Happy shaves, Ryanshh!

Last edited:
Top Bottom