What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Focused on my Family

My shaving family is humble. Van Der Hagen, Astra SP, Cremo, and Williams. Mennen visits frequently.

"Our responsibility as a civilization is to keep going for as long as the laws of physics allow."
The Longevity Factor, Yuri Milner

My responsibility is keeping my shaving family and our Circle of Commitment together for a year. It's unlikely that I would abandon my family, but as Hawking reminded us, if you wait long enough the improbable is inevitable.

"Politicians are almost as good as marketers in causing people to exaggerate the importance of issues on which their attention is focused." Daniel Kahneman

King Gillette almost got me. LIMITED TIME ONLY, NEW, VINTAGE... they focused my attention. Finally, on a Sunday evening, I succumbed and ordered the HERITAGE razor.

The thought of telling Van Der Hagen kept me awake. Thank goodness I was able to cancel the order.

Last edited:
I love shaving. I feel stupid for saying it since my wife made me grow a beard. I have converted to single edge almost exclusively. They are way easier to edge my lines. I am writing this as an 11 year old because one hundred and fifty words is a lot for a post for me. That being said I hate not completing something I started. I really hope I make it this year. I have more of everything than your average gentleman and way more than your average american. Lol. AC is my favorite format. The Vector is probably my favorite razor. I really like the Enoch too. It's a completely different razor though. I also love the injectors. I have all my favorites. I have enough DE blades to last a lifetime and way less of my SEs. I hope this is 150 worse or more. Golden Monkey Tripel Bock is awesome and helped me write this post.

Joe

I love shaving. I feel stupid for saying it since my wife made me grow a beard. I have converted to single edge almost exclusively. They are way easier to edge my lines. I am writing this as an 11 year old because one hundred and fifty words is a lot for a post for me. That being said I hate not completing something I started. I really hope I make it this year. I have more of everything than your average gentleman and way more than your average american. Lol. AC is my favorite format. The Vector is probably my favorite razor. I really like the Enoch too. It's a completely different razor though. I also love the injectors. I have all my favorites. I have enough DE blades to last a lifetime and way less of my SEs. I hope this is 150 worse or more. Golden Monkey Tripel Bock is awesome and helped me write this post.

Joe

Good effort and great topic. It's just 11 words too long. It should be easy to trim 11 words. You can cut and paste your post into WordCounter - Count Words & Correct Writing - https://wordcounter.net/ to check the word count.

I love shaving. I feel stupid for saying it since my wife made me grow a beard. I have converted to single edge almost exclusively. They are way easier to edge my lines. I am writing this as an 11 year old because one hundred and fifty words is a lot for a post for me. That being said I hate not completing something I started. I really hope I make it this year. I have more of everything than your average gentleman and way more than your average american. Lol. AC is my favorite format. The Vector is probably my favorite razor. I really like the Enoch too. It's a completely different razor though. I also love the injectors. I have all my favorites. I have enough DE blades to last a lifetime and way less of my SEs. I hope this is 150 words or more.

I love shaving. I feel stupid for saying it since my wife made me grow a beard. I have converted to single edge almost exclusively. They are way easier to edge my lines. I am writing this as an 11 year old because one hundred and fifty words is a lot for a post for me. That being said I hate not completing something I started. I really hope I make it this year. I have more of everything than your average gentleman and way more than your average american. Lol. AC is my favorite format. The Vector is probably my favorite razor. I really like the Enoch too. It's a completely different razor though. I also love the injectors. I have all my favorites. I have enough DE blades to last a lifetime and way less of my SEs. I hope this is 150 words or more.

Nope. You need two more. It must be exactly 150 words.

Still in--but today is my birthday and I got a surprise (totally unsolicited) gift from my in-laws. They were out antiquing and found an old shaving kit. It's in a leather bag (the leather is really dry and stiff). There's a pre-war Tech that seems in pretty good shape, although I'll need to clean it to be sure (lots of gross soap residue). There's a travel brush that's a disaster--it looks like a hairy old lipstick. There's a suit brush and a shoe brush (had to Google those, too). Then there's a tin with a stubby tech that also needs to be cleaned up. The kit has a couple of old blades called Grand Leader (the blades are blue). There are also some weird coins that I looked up and they're called sales tax tokens. Apparently during the depression, sales tax was still collected on pennies, so each token is worth 1/10 of a penny. It's a pretty neat set--I'll post a picture once it's been cleaned.

Last edited:
Still in--but today is my birthday and I got a surprise (totally unsolicited) gift from my in-laws. They were out antiquing and found an old shaving kit. It's in a leather bag (the leather is really dry and stiff). There's a pre-war Tech that seems in pretty good shape, although I'll need to clean it to be sure (lots of gross soap residue). There's a travel brush that's a disaster--it looks like a hairy old lipstick. There are a couple of brushes that look like they're for shining shoes, so no idea why they are there. Then there's a tin with a stubby tech that also needs to be cleaned up. The kit has a couple of old blades called Grand Leader (the blades are blue). There are also some weird coins that I looked up and they're called sales tax tokens. Apparently during the depression, sales tax was still collected on pennies, so each token is worth 1/10 of a penny. It's a pretty neat set--I'll post a picture once it's been cleaned.

Great find!

It's 175 words if you are trying to qualify for the PIF. Check your count here. It should be easy to trim 25 words.

My shaving den consists of all double edge razors. I have not yet ventured into the realm of straight razors. The key word being yet. While I do have several vintage razors, my favorites are all modern razors. The current lineup includes a Game Changer, two Blacklands, and an Occam’s safety razor.
Being a man who sticks with what works for me, my soap selection is limited to Murphy and McNeil, Declaration Grooming Milksteak and Cold River Soap Works Glide bases. I generally buy the matching aftershave for the soap. While I do have, and enjoy using samples from Noble Otter and Ariana and Evans, any purchases of full size tubs will obviously have to wait until 2021.
My choice of blades are generally either Gillette Platinum, or Personna Med Preps. As with the soaps I use there is a variety of samples, buy usually come back to these two.

My shaving den consists of all double edge razors. I have not yet ventured into the realm of straight razors. The key word being yet. While I do have several vintage razors, my favorites are all modern razors. The current lineup includes a Game Changer, two Blacklands, and an Occam’s safety razor.
Being a man who sticks with what works for me, my soap selection is limited to Murphy and McNeil, Declaration Grooming Milksteak and Cold River Soap Works Glide bases. I generally buy the matching aftershave for the soap. While I do have, and enjoy using samples from Noble Otter and Ariana and Evans, any purchases of full size tubs will obviously have to wait until 2021.
My choice of blades are generally either Gillette Platinum, or Personna Med Preps. As with the soaps I use there is a variety of samples, buy usually come back to these two.

It's a qualifier!

Thanks everyone for the great participation.

Great find!

It's 175 words if you are trying to qualify for the PIF. Check your count here. It should be easy to trim 25 words.
Ha--I wasn't trying for your essay contest, but for fun I shortened it.

Still in--but today is my birthday and I got a surprise (totally unsolicited) gift from my in-laws. They were out antiquing and found an old shaving kit. It's in a dried out old leather bag. There's a pre-war Tech that seems in decent shape, but needs to be cleaned (lots of gross soap residue). There's a travel brush that's a disaster--it looks like a hairy old lipstick. There's a suit brush and a shoe brush. Then there's a tin with a stubby tech that also needs to be cleaned up. The kit has a couple of old blades called Grand Leader. There are also some weird coins that I looked up and they're called sales tax tokens. Apparently during the depression, sales tax was still collected on pennies, so each token is worth 1/10 of a penny. It's a pretty neat set--I'll post a picture once it's been cleaned.

Ha--I wasn't trying for your essay contest, but for fun I shortened it.

Still in--but today is my birthday and I got a surprise (totally unsolicited) gift from my in-laws. They were out antiquing and found an old shaving kit. It's in a dried out old leather bag. There's a pre-war Tech that seems in decent shape, but needs to be cleaned (lots of gross soap residue). There's a travel brush that's a disaster--it looks like a hairy old lipstick. There's a suit brush and a shoe brush. Then there's a tin with a stubby tech that also needs to be cleaned up. The kit has a couple of old blades called Grand Leader. There are also some weird coins that I looked up and they're called sales tax tokens. Apparently during the depression, sales tax was still collected on pennies, so each token is worth 1/10 of a penny. It's a pretty neat set--I'll post a picture once it's been cleaned.

Thanks for the support! The circle grows tighter with every essay.

Tell you what. I actually ordered 200 extra Gillette Wilkinson Swords. If drivers in the Circle of Commitment write ten 150-word posts, I'll have a second PIF of 100 blades.

Still in--but today is my birthday and I got a surprise (totally unsolicited) gift from my in-laws. They were out antiquing and found an old shaving kit. It's in a leather bag (the leather is really dry and stiff). There's a pre-war Tech that seems in pretty good shape, although I'll need to clean it to be sure (lots of gross soap residue). There's a travel brush that's a disaster--it looks like a hairy old lipstick. There's a suit brush and a shoe brush (had to Google those, too). Then there's a tin with a stubby tech that also needs to be cleaned up. The kit has a couple of old blades called Grand Leader (the blades are blue). There are also some weird coins that I looked up and they're called sales tax tokens. Apparently during the depression, sales tax was still collected on pennies, so each token is worth 1/10 of a penny. It's a pretty neat set--I'll post a picture once it's been cleaned.

Happy birthday!

Would it be fair to say, PIFs of shaving goods send a mixed message to the sabbatical participants? I will admit that PIFs can be fun, however we are trying to use up shaving stuff and here you are handing out more. I already have over 500 blades, why would I need an additional 100 to put in my bloated inventory?

I wonder, would it make sense if participants were allowed to do a PIF-PIF? Say for instance, if I should win, I could ask you to send the blades to someone else that could actually use them and appreciate them?

Now, my final point: as an engineer, I find marketing and psychology writing to be practically incomprehensible gobbledygook for the most part. I don't even want to read it, much less write it. It is cruel and unusual punishment considering this hobby is meant to be a pleasant activity.

Last edited:
Would it be fair to say, PIFs of shaving goods send a mixed message to the sabbatical participants? I will admit that PIFs can be fun, however we are trying to use up shaving stuff and here you are handing out more. I already have over 500 blades, why would I need an additional 100 to put in my bloated inventory?

I wonder, would it make sense if participants were allowed to do a PIF-PIF? Say for instance, if I should win, I could ask you to send the blades to someone else that could actually use them and appreciate them?

Now, my final point: as an engineer, I find marketing and psychology writing to be practically incomprehensible gobbledygook for the most part. I don't even want to read it, much less write it. It is cruel and unusual punishment considering this hobby is meant to be a pleasant activity.

This is the 5th qualifier. Only 5 more to go for the second 100 blades.

Except for the razor blades, which I already have, substitutions will be allowed for the rest of the PIFs. PIF-PIF would work, too.

1578904026238.png

Top Bottom