What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Just remembered, there will be tough times, temptations, and hurt feelings. Some people will get upset with others, etc. Just remember that this is all in fun and we should all be encouraging each other toward the goal as a group.

The group should be helping each other to overcome these obstacles. The real competition is with yourself, not others.

I remember building some great bonds during my sabbatical days.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
  • I speak without a mouth and hear without ears. I have no body, but I come alive with wind. What am I?
  • You measure my life in hours and I serve you by expiring. I’m quick when I’m thin and slow when I’m fat. The wind is my enemy.
  • I have cities, but no houses. I have mountains, but no trees. I have water, but no fish. What am I?
    • A map (Atlantic59)
  • What is seen in the middle of March and April that can’t be seen at the beginning or end of either month?
    • The letter "r" (ryanshh)
  • You see a boat filled with people. It has not sunk, but when you look again you don’t see a single person on the boat. Why?
    • They are all married (GaryTha - not in)
  • What word in the English language does the following: the first two letters signify a male, the first three letters signify a female, the first four letters signify a great, while the entire world signifies a great woman. What is the word?
    • Heroine (JAHE)
  • What English word has three consecutive double letters?
  • A woman shoots her husband, then holds him underwater for five minutes. Next, she hangs him. Right after, they enjoy a lovely dinner. Explain.
    • She shoots him with a camera... (Pepin)
  • I come from a mine and get surrounded by wood always. Everyone uses me. What am I?
  • A girl has as many brothers as sisters, but each brother has only half as many brothers as sisters. How many brothers and sisters are there in the family?
    • 3 brothers and 4 sisters (Sotiris_A - not in)
  • What disappears as soon as you say its name?
    • Silence (Chesty)
  • How can the number four be half of five?
    • IV (T.Orso)
  • I have keys, but no locks and space, and no rooms. You can enter, but you can’t go outside. What am I?
  • What gets wet while drying?
    • A towel (Ruva)
  • A is the brother of B. B is the brother of C. C is the father of D. So how is D related to A?
    • A would be D's uncle (emwolf)
  • What are the next three letters in this combination? OTTFFSS
    • ENT (Neffarious)
  • This belongs to you, but everyone else uses it.
    • Your Name (Heron)
Sorry correction above!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
  • I speak without a mouth and hear without ears. I have no body, but I come alive with wind. What am I?
  • You measure my life in hours and I serve you by expiring. I’m quick when I’m thin and slow when I’m fat. The wind is my enemy.
  • I have cities, but no houses. I have mountains, but no trees. I have water, but no fish. What am I?
    • A map (Atlantic59)
  • What is seen in the middle of March and April that can’t be seen at the beginning or end of either month?
    • The letter "r" (ryanshh)
  • You see a boat filled with people. It has not sunk, but when you look again you don’t see a single person on the boat. Why?
    • They are all married (GaryTha - not in)
  • What word in the English language does the following: the first two letters signify a male, the first three letters signify a female, the first four letters signify a great, while the entire world signifies a great woman. What is the word?
    • Heroine (JAHE)
  • What English word has three consecutive double letters?
    • Bookkeeping (02flhtci)
  • A woman shoots her husband, then holds him underwater for five minutes. Next, she hangs him. Right after, they enjoy a lovely dinner. Explain.
    • She shoots him with a camera... (Pepin)
  • I come from a mine and get surrounded by wood always. Everyone uses me. What am I?
  • A girl has as many brothers as sisters, but each brother has only half as many brothers as sisters. How many brothers and sisters are there in the family?
    • 3 brothers and 4 sisters (Sotiris_A - not in)
  • What disappears as soon as you say its name?
    • Silence (Chesty)
  • How can the number four be half of five?
    • IV (T.Orso)
  • I have keys, but no locks and space, and no rooms. You can enter, but you can’t go outside. What am I?
  • What gets wet while drying?
    • A towel (Ruva)
  • A is the brother of B. B is the brother of C. C is the father of D. So how is D related to A?
    • A would be D's uncle (emwolf)
  • What are the next three letters in this combination? OTTFFSS
    • ENT (Neffarious)
  • This belongs to you, but everyone else uses it.
    • Your Name (Heron)
Sorry correction above!

Looks like @Ryanshh and I have both chosen the 1936 Lincoln Zephyr. I wonder if we both chose it for the same reason.

View attachment 1050253

It seems rather unlikely, but not impossible, that we chose it for the same reason. I met a gentleman who was a 1930's car collector right before signing up for the sabbatical. After talking to him for a little bit, he gave us a tour of his collection. He had two Lincoln Zephyrs and was rather passionate about the 1936 model. His excitement, passion, and knowledge was infectious and when I had the opportunity to pick a car from the 30s I immediately thought of the Zephyr with a smile on my face. Also, it is lovely, built like a tank, and can be rolled down a cliff and keep driving. All very important for our daring jaunt through Europe.

Perhaps I should consider changing my mind as well. Not sure if this would be a 2010s thing or a 2020s.
Hmm, let me think for a minute.

Perhaps I should consider changing my mind as well. Not sure if this would be a 2010s thing or a 2020s.
Hmm, let me think for a minute.

You might change your mind as often as you like, however, pls consider remaining part of the 2020's restraint.
It would be sad to see another participant quitting at this early stage of the race.

Last edited:
1578388519011.png

I decided to limit my soap/creams in the bathroom to 10. I'll concentrate on those 10 for 3 months, then rotate those 10 out for another 10. It will be almost like getting new soaps every 90 days, and it will force me to use some of my infrequently used items. If I see I'm ignoring something when it's 'on the clock' I think those items will be permanently culled from my inventory. I've rotated 2 older soaps to the shower so I'm already simplifying.

With all the posts coming up here due to the two PIFs taking place here in parallel in the last days, I (and likely other participants) lost your post out of sight... (which is a pity imho, because you fully hit the topic of the thread)...
However, I wanted to reply since I find the approach of rotating 10 soups for 3 months and then replace them with 10 other soaps quite interesting. I will make my mind if this is a approach which might work for me as well.

I may combine this with compiling some kind of rating system as I work my way through my collection.
Pls don´t forget to share your findings with us - at least I would like to know what the aspects are that you are going to evaluate - and the results.

And don´t forget: we love photos!📸 :biggrin1:

Greetings from Germany!

Last edited:
With all the posts coming up here due to the two PIFs taking place here in parallel in the last days, I (and likely other participants) lost your post out of sight... (which is a pity imho, because you fully hit the topic of the thread)...
However, I wanted to reply since I find the approach of rotating 10 soups for 3 months and then replace them with 10 other soaps quite interesting. I will make my mind if this is a approach which might work for me as well.

Pls don´t forget to share your findings with us - at least I would like to know what the aspects are that you are going to evaluate - and the results.

And don´t forget: we love photos!📸 :biggrin1:

Greetings from Germany!

If I look at this sabbatical as an exercise to pick out the soaps, razors, blades, etc I really like so I can focus on the products that make me the happiest I think I'll come out of the end a happier shaver. I've got about a nine year collection of stuff so decision paralysis has creeped into my routine lately. I'd love to end the year with a slightly more compact set of equipment that is truly my favorite.

I've been evaluating my Klar Kabinett soap mostly the last few days. I'm trying to do multi-day runs with the same equipment to make sure I'm not losing sight of minor strengths or weaknesses in any of them. I usually rotate soaps daily so sticking with one for back to back to back shaves hopefully lets me learn them a little better. I think early on in the year I'm going to focus on the soaps more than anything else since that is the largest part of my collection. I need to develop some kind of method to judge the soaps on. I'm keeping the razor and blade constant at the moment.

I'd love to hear ideas about ways we could rate the soaps. I could keep it as simple as just giving them a 1-10 rank for overall satisfaction, to individually ranking key aspects. Not sure what method I'll fall back on but I do need to do it soon.

It seems rather unlikely, but not impossible, that we chose it for the same reason. I met a gentleman who was a 1930's car collector right before signing up for the sabbatical. After talking to him for a little bit, he gave us a tour of his collection. He had two Lincoln Zephyrs and was rather passionate about the 1936 model. His excitement, passion, and knowledge was infectious and when I had the opportunity to pick a car from the 30s I immediately thought of the Zephyr with a smile on my face. Also, it is lovely, built like a tank, and can be rolled down a cliff and keep driving. All very important for our daring jaunt through Europe.
Wow! That is really impressive and way different a reason that mine. I recently bought a 2017 Lincoln MKZ and was researching why it's called an MKZ. That led me to the original Lincoln Model K series and the Zephyr. I thought "what better car to drive in a race than the origin of the car I currently am driving now?"

And . . . Aaacck ! ! !
I've been bumped!
My fault . . . sorry. I didn't even see JAHE's original post.

Last edited:
Consolidated the list of the sabbatical participants... @ everyone, pls check your entry!

#
Name
Exception
Car
Pepin
Vintage razor
Citroën Traction Avant
pbrmhl
Stirling razor
Audi Type SS
CzechCzar
Stirling's new efficient razor
1933 Duesenberg II SJ Boattail Speedster
jim99
Stirling Christmas soap
1937 supercharged Cord
garyTha
No Exception
Austin 12
JAHE
No Exception
Audi 920 black drop-top
JeffJ
No Exception
Lancia Dilambda
deafficianado
Wolfman razor
Bentley Speed Six
martym
No Exception
Renault GS
tsimmns
Tub WK Fern Concerto Menthol
1929 Alfa Romeo 6C
Ruva
No Exception
1936 Ford Model C Ten
Ruckin
No Exception
1937 ford pickup
Sotiris_A
Shaving scuttle
Bugatti Type 57S
AZBronco
Proraso Green
1933 Derby (French car)
Invicta
No Exception
Jensen H type
VerbaVolant
one stainless razor
Bugatti 55 Roadster
Chandu
No Exception
Rolls-Royce Twenty
T.Orso
witch hazel
Triumph Gloria Vitesse
ByDoms
No Exception
MG 14/28
Keen Edge
No Exception
Scuderia Ferrari Alfa 8C-35
Emwolf
No Exception
Opel Kapitan
AlphaFrank75
Red Tip Rocket refurbished
Mercedes-Benz SSK
RTM
No Exception
Bentley 8 Litre
02fhhtci
(1) tub of Murphy and McNeil Nantahala
Cadillac 355
CJB3
grail razor
Studebaker President
GeromimoWSB
No Exception
Packard 8
JohnYaddy
OneBlade razor
Datsun type 11
wmitchell
No Exception
32 Ford
Noodles
Wolfman razor
1937 Cord 812 Phaeton
JohnnieTime
witch hazel
Cadillac Series 60
bobmsp
stainless steel razor
Dusenberg SJ Speedster
Brian C.
No Exception
1937 Ford Convertible
mikelz777
No Exception
Mercedes Benz 320A
Timeclo
One artisan brush
Mercedes Benz 500K
Atlantic59
One pack travel razors
Alfa Romeo 6C 2300B Mille Miglia
Carm10
No Exception
GAZ-M1
5Cantonas
Fatip slant
Chrysler Imperial
ShavingPanda
Brush
1937 Jaguar SS
Ryanshh
Bingle Buddy Gift Exchange
1936 Lincoln Zephyr
Drquantum
DR Harris Arlington soap
1932 Nash Ambassador Eight
olegunnar
Travel Cart(s)
Peugeot Type 183
Doc_S
strop replacement
Steyr 220 Gläser Roadster (1939)
Geneaut
Old Spice Shave Mug
Wolseley Hornet 6 ( 1930 )
AKH223
CNC Milled SLOC
Bugatti Type 35B Grand Prix (1925)
Chesty
No Exception
Hispano-Suiza H6
Earcutter
Mentholated aftershave
Fiat 518
Meanpr
Travel Razor
1935 DeSoto Airflow
Mr_Houston
Timeless TI 95
1931 Hillman Wizard
Azwetshaver
Straight razor
Mercedes-Benz 540K Special Roadster
It's Hedley
Grail Razor
Moon-Ruxton 1930 Model C
Silky Glide
No Exception
1933 Pierce Silver Arrow
MuhleShaver
No Exception
1938 VW Beetle
karhu
Semogue Mistura Brush
1928 Morris Minor
Thomas Darkblade
No Exception
1925 Mercedes W05 SSKL
kaidecologne
Pils 101 NE
39 Opel Kapitän Cabriolet
jamesearthdrum
No Exception
1930 KJ Henderson
Raven Koenes
Fatip Slant
1939 Fiat 1500 B
Neffarious
No Exception
Mercedes Benz 710-SSK
Wtd1911
Simpson Chubby 2 or 3 Manchurian
Adler 2 Liter
Heron
Shave soap
Datsun 17
Esetter
eplate one razor
Morris Oxford
bjm
Timeless razor
1930 Cadillac V-12
Rvshave
No Exception
'29 Ruxton Roadster
_Stormin_
No Exception
32 Duesenberg Model SJ
147_Grain
No Exception
Alfa Romeo P3
Aziraphale
King Cobra SE
'36 Lincoln K-Series (Zephyr) V-12
#48 Mr_Houston should have no exception.

Consolidated the list of the sabbatical participants... @ everyone, pls check your entry!

#
Name
Exception
Car
Pepin
Vintage razor
Citroën Traction Avant
pbrmhl
Stirling razor
Audi Type SS
CzechCzar
1933 Duesenberg II SJ Boattail Speedster
jim99
Stirling Christmas soap
1937 supercharged Cord
garyTha
No Exception
Austin 12
JAHE
No Exception
Audi 920 black drop-top
JeffJ
No Exception
Lancia Dilambda
deafficianado
Wolfman razor
Bentley Speed Six
martym
No Exception
Renault GS
tsimmns
Tub WK Fern Concerto Menthol
1929 Alfa Romeo 6C
Ruva
No Exception
1936 Ford Model C Ten
Ruckin
No Exception
1937 ford pickup
Sotiris_A
Shaving scuttle
Bugatti Type 57S
AZBronco
Proraso Green
1933 Derby (French car)
Invicta
No Exception
Jensen H type
VerbaVolant
one stainless razor
Bugatti 55 Roadster
Chandu
No Exception
Rolls-Royce Twenty
T.Orso
witch hazel
Triumph Gloria Vitesse
ByDoms
No Exception
MG 14/28
Keen Edge
No Exception
Scuderia Ferrari Alfa 8C-35
Emwolf
No Exception
Opel Kapitan
AlphaFrank75
Red Tip Rocket refurbished
Mercedes-Benz SSK
RTM
No Exception
Bentley 8 Litre
02fhhtci
(1) tub of Murphy and McNeil Nantahala
Cadillac 355
CJB3
grail razor
Studebaker President
GeromimoWSB
No Exception
Packard 8
JohnYaddy
OneBlade razor
Datsun type 11
wmitchell
No Exception
32 Ford
Noodles
Wolfman razor
1937 Cord 812 Phaeton
JohnnieTime
witch hazel
Cadillac Series 60
bobmsp
stainless steel razor
Dusenberg SJ Speedster
Brian C.
No Exception
1937 Ford Convertible
mikelz777
No Exception
Mercedes Benz 320A
Timeclo
One artisan brush
Mercedes Benz 500K
Atlantic59
One pack travel razors
Alfa Romeo 6C 2300B Mille Miglia
Carm10
No Exception
GAZ-M1
5Cantonas
Fatip slant
Chrysler Imperial
ShavingPanda
Brush
1937 Jaguar SS
Ryanshh
Bingle Buddy Gift Exchange
1936 Lincoln Zephyr
Drquantum
DR Harris Arlington soap
1932 Nash Ambassador Eight
olegunnar
Travel Cart(s)
Peugeot Type 183
Doc_S
strop replacement
Steyr 220 Gläser Roadster (1939)
Geneaut
Old Spice Shave Mug
Wolseley Hornet 6 ( 1930 )
AKH223
CNC Milled SLOC
Bugatti Type 35B Grand Prix (1925)
Chesty
No Exception
Hispano-Suiza H6
Earcutter
Mentholated aftershave
Fiat 518
Meanpr
Travel Razor
1935 DeSoto Airflow
Mr_Houston
No Exception
1931 Hillman Wizard
Azwetshaver
Straight razor
Mercedes-Benz 540K Special Roadster
It's Hedley
Grail Razor
Moon-Ruxton 1930 Model C
Silky Glide
No Exception
1933 Pierce Silver Arrow
MuhleShaver
No Exception
1938 VW Beetle
karhu
Semogue Mistura Brush
1928 Morris Minor
Thomas Darkblade
No Exception
1925 Mercedes W05 SSKL
kaidecologne
Pils 101 NE
39 Opel Kapitän Cabriolet
jamesearthdrum
No Exception
1930 KJ Henderson
Raven Koenes
Fatip Slant
1939 Fiat 1500 B
Neffarious
No Exception
Mercedes Benz 710-SSK
Wtd1911
Simpson Chubby 2 or 3 Manchurian
Adler 2 Liter
Heron
Shave soap
Datsun 17
Esetter
eplate one razor
Morris Oxford
bjm
Timeless razor
1930 Cadillac V-12
Rvshave
No Exception
'29 Ruxton Roadster
_Stormin_
No Exception
32 Duesenberg Model SJ
147_Grain
No Exception
Alfa Romeo P3
Aziraphale
King Cobra SE
'36 Lincoln K-Series (Zephyr) V-12

OldSaw

The wife's investment
If I look at this sabbatical as an exercise to pick out the soaps, razors, blades, etc I really like so I can focus on the products that make me the happiest I think I'll come out of the end a happier shaver. I've got about a nine year collection of stuff so decision paralysis has creeped into my routine lately. I'd love to end the year with a slightly more compact set of equipment that is truly my favorite.

I've been evaluating my Klar Kabinett soap mostly the last few days. I'm trying to do multi-day runs with the same equipment to make sure I'm not losing sight of minor strengths or weaknesses in any of them. I usually rotate soaps daily so sticking with one for back to back to back shaves hopefully lets me learn them a little better. I think early on in the year I'm going to focus on the soaps more than anything else since that is the largest part of my collection. I need to develop some kind of method to judge the soaps on. I'm keeping the razor and blade constant at the moment.

I'd love to hear ideas about ways we could rate the soaps. I could keep it as simple as just giving them a 1-10 rank for overall satisfaction, to individually ranking key aspects. Not sure what method I'll fall back on but I do need to do it soon.

Trust your gut. By the end of this year you will find yourself instinctively reaching for certain things, even when you thought you wanted something else. Those will be your Zen products, the ones that you resonate with.

For me it is Tabac and MWF as my mainstay shave soaps at home. It just started happening while reaching for something else and my hand felt almost magnetically drawn to the Tabac or MWF. There are many other superb products, some that I even prefer occasionally, but these two resonate with me most often.

Trust your gut. By the end of this year you will find yourself instinctively reaching for certain things, even when you thought you wanted something else. Those will be your Zen products, the ones that you resonate with.

For me it is Tabac and MWF as my mainstay shave soaps at home. It just started happening while reaching for something else and my hand felt almost magnetically drawn to the Tabac or MWF. There are many other superb products, some that I even prefer occasionally, but these two resonate with me most often.

I think over the years I've gotten into a bad habit of actually not regularly using the products that make me happy in a never-ending search for something 'better' or 'more fun'.

Tabac and MWF are excellent examples. I've had a puck of both for years. I love them both, but I'm always bypassing them for new soaps. Looking at my shave notes I've used Tabac once in the past 6 months. That's crazy because I've used Williams Mug Soap 7 times in the same span. Why? Not that Williams is bad exactly, but it's nowhere as nice as Tabac from any standpoint. Those numbers should be flip-flopped at the least. The real reason is Williams is a challenge for me, and I get suckered into trying to prove something by using it. That's not a good enough reason for me anymore.

#
Name
Exception
Car
Pepin
Vintage razor
Citroën Traction Avant
pbrmhl
Stirling razor
Audi Type SS
CzechCzar