What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Introducing the 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Year's End RElief

Inspired by the 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 Shave Purchase Sabbaticals and all those who were successful, those who are still toughing it out, those who signed up, and those who fell to temptation, @Pepin presents to you, the Badger and Blade 2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical, aka The Gentlemanly Restraint Until Year's End RElief thread.

This year's GRUYERE story-line will be Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies. The theme will be based on that classic 1969 movie Those daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies (also known as "Monte Carlo or Bust").

Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

The Great Rally has been announced, London to Vienna, with stops in Paris, Berlin, and Budapest. Who can complete the arduous journey, avoid breakdowns, and dangers to claim the coveted gold trophy. Will you be part of the winners circle who will be awarded the gold Shave Travel Kit, and get to drink champagne out of the gold cup, as the public cheers the winners and commiserates with those who were eliminated.

How will your team do in their 1920's to early 30's vehicles. Who will be able to avoid a dangerous brush with disaster, will the slippery and slick road cause doom for the contestants, who can shave off a few minutes in this great rally. There will be razor's edge tension as they line up at the starting line, and people all over are lathered up with excitement, ready to follow the race in the newspapers and on the wireless.

Rally teams will choose a period car from one of the links below.
Category:1930s cars - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1930s_cars
Category:1920s cars - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1920s_cars

Will you take up the 2020 GRUYERE quest and see if you can succeed in the year-long sabbatical, or will mechanical breakdowns, storms, treacherous conditions, or mysterious strangers waylay you on the road to Vienna.

The sabbatical is open to all ascetics, gluttons, minimisers', denizens of the doghouse, hecklers, reformed treewhalers, Darth Lords, trolls, and folks with nothing better to do. We're all about cheap thrills in the sabbatical. Cure your _ADs ("blank" acquisition disorder), prime your 3017 campaign, learn your current setup, enjoy what you've got, protect your pay-checks: we walk many paths on the same road.

New to restraint? The ground rules are simple: You don't purchase shaving related goods for a calendar year (12 months, 52 weeks, 365 days, 525,600 minutes). We start when 2019 becomes 2020, and we end when 2020 becomes 2021. It is not for the faint of heart, the Rules cover a wide area, to help with the goal of saving money.

The Rules
  1. Read all of the rules. From #1 through to, and including number 15.
  2. Start and end time are based on your local time zone.
  3. Gentlemanly Restraint is restricted to all items related to shaving and the shaving hobby; though you can avoid other purchases as well.
  4. No purchases of anything to do with shaving are allowed during the restraint period. NONE. No purchases even if you get a gift card to WCS, ebay, Amazon, etc. If you need something you may trade for it; that's why you are a part of a community that can help you out. This also means that you have enough stuff to see out about 12 months of shaving.
  5. Gifts. You cannot ask for, solicit, hint at, etc., gifts in any way.
  6. To clarify, not buying anything means not spending money (or redeeming gift cards) on shaving goods, period. This includes blades, cream, soap, brushes, scuttles, any type of cartridge, aftershave, stone, strop, lapping film, water heater, kettle for the bathroom, shaving related books, pictures, knick-knacks and on and on. You get the idea. You spent money on it? You haven't shown restraint.*
  7. Trades will be limited to two trades a month with non Sabbatical entrants (not counting B&B pass-around boxes), unlimited with those still in the Sabbatical, as shipping does add up. Shipping costs for trades are exempt.
  8. If you have to ask for clarification, you probably should not be doing it.
  9. Plan your year carefully. Think ahead to make sure you have the razors, blades, soaps, creams, aftershaves, scuttles, towels, travel gear, dopp bags etc. for the next twelve months. You can always ask before the start if you are not sure how much you will go through.
  10. You must check-in on the 2020 GRUYERE thread during the specific times listed:
    • March 30th to April 7th
    • June 29th through to July 7th
    • September 29th through to October 7th
    • January 1st through to January 9th 2021
    • However, at other times please feel free to post and let us know how you are doing in your goal of abstaining.
  11. If a shaving item breaks in the restraint and you have no backup handy, one replacement may be purchased as a exception (example if the knot comes out of your brush when traveling, a cheap brush or superglue to fix broken brush is deemed acceptable in the 2020 restraint). Forgetting to pack your gear does not count, that will put you out.
  12. The fine print on the grey areas: Functional maintenance, such as straight razor honing, does not count as a purchased good. Since we're all gentlemen here, we leave it up to you to decide if PIF purchases for others count as purchases.
  13. Gifts you receive are also dicey. Because these and other fuzzy areas may pop up, let's agree to be gentlemanly in our appraisal of still in or knocked out. In other words, you're in until you say "I'm out" and you're out if you spent money! If you buy something, announce what you bought so we can get our vicarious thrills at your expense and strike you from the list in an exciting chapter of our ongoing storyline.
  14. Only if you succeeded in the 2019 Sabbatical, you have from January 1-14, 2020 as restock window.
  15. Read rule number 1.

Group exceptions:
  • ALL Badger and Blade branded items including B&B Group Buys
  • Sue Moore Memorial Auction items
  • Badger and Blade contributor badge
*Oscar Wilde Clause ("Everything in moderation, including moderation"): If you elect to do so, you may state one specific personal exception when you sign up. The personal exception is a onetime one item purchase (one razor, or one soap, or one box of blades). You can also use the Bingle Buddy Gift Exchange as your exception.

What say you? Are you in?!

:pipe::euro:

I'll start it off for next year. Let's get the party started!!!! Simply copy and paste the current list and add your name to the bottom.
Please state your ONE exception, and also please post the 1920's/1930's car you will drive!
Category:1930s cars - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1930s_cars
Category:1920s cars - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1920s_cars

Participants for the 2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical: The Gentlemanly Restraint Until Year's End RElief

1. Pepin - exception, vintage razor / car will be the Citroën Traction Avant

I'm going to try again...

2. pbrmhl - exception, Stirling's new razor

I'm definitely going to try again.
3. emwolf - no exceptions/vehicle is the Opel Kapitan

I’m back and ready to try again. I’ve listed my exception below.

3. emwolf - no exceptions
4. jim99 - Stirling Christmas Eve soap 2020

I’m back and ready to try again. I’ve listed my exception below.

3. emwolf - no exceptions
4. jim99 - Stirling Christmas Eve soap 2020 - 1929 Cord
Oh, my vintage car will be a 1965 Shelby Mustang!

I'm definitely going to try again.
3. emwolf - no exceptions/vehicle is the Opel Kapitan

I am in.

1. Pepin - exception, vintage razor / car will be the Citroën Traction Avant[/B]
3. emwolf - no exceptions/vehicle is the Opel Kapitan[
4.JAHE - exception: one shaving soap that will be discontinued in 2020. My vehicle will be the Audi 920.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G800F mit Tapatalk

Thank you for signing up, please select your '20s or '30s cars for the story-line.
3. emwolf - no exceptions / Opel Kapitan
5. GaryThal no exceptions
6. JAHE - exception: one shaving soap that will be discontinued in 2020 /Audi 920

Last edited:
6. JAHE - exception: one shaving soap that will be discontinued in 2020 /Audi 920
7. JeffJ - exception: one shaving cream for travel, if needed / Lancia Dilambda

I’m in.
4. jim99 - Stirling Christmas Eve soap 2020 / supercharged 1929 Cord
8. deafficianado- exception: Wolfman razor / Bentley Speed Six

Last edited:

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I’m in.
9. martym - No Exception / Renault GS

I’m in.
10. tsimmns - 1 tub of WK Fern Concerto Menthol - 1929 Alfa Romero 6C. Based after the year my grandfather was born who passed a few years back.

I’m in.
10. tsimmns - 1 tub of WK Fern Concerto Menthol - 1929 Alfa Romero 6C.
11. Ruva - no exceptions

I’m in.
11. Ruva - no exceptions
12. Ruckin - no exceptions (hoping to make 5 in a row)

I’m in. I hope to make it this year.

11. Ruva - no exceptions
13. Sotiris_A - no exceptions / Bugatti Type 57S

Last edited:
I'm going to try again. I usually finish every other year:

11. Ruva - no exceptions
13. Sotiris_A - no exceptions / Bugatti Type 57S
14. AZBronco - Bingle Buddy gift exchange / 1933 Derby (French car)

Last edited:
Top Bottom