What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Car 17 checking in with my Rolls Royce Twenty. Car is running great.

Strayed from my idea of one soap until it was gone as I initiated May'd in USA and could only use products made in USA, do ended up using several brush-less and canned foams during the month.

Since last check-in I've put to rest the following samples:
MdC Vetyver
Castle Forbes Lavender
Castle Forbes 1445
M&M Claddagh

I've also learned something about lathering Palmira which has proved beneficial to me and hopefully others. I've been using very little AS or balm these days. It's summer and my skin tends to the oily side, so either I just rinse or use a little witch hazel. I do my final touch ups with just water or witch hazel.

Going forward I like more rotation in soaps so plan to change at least monthly, probably weekly, but no more often than that.

Hope everyone else is doing well.

SOTD (# 113/2020)
22-06-2020
20200622_183718-01-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water
Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Saponificio Varesino ~ Manna di Sicilia 4.3
Razor: Parker 87R
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Proraso Azur Limes

JAHE - still in.

SOTD (# 111/2020)
19-06-2020
View attachment 1115067
Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ "Orange Bay Tonic"
Razor: Mühle R41 Twist
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill Witch Hazel & ASB

JAHE - still in and enjoying the ride...

I have to ask, what exactly is "Orange Bay Tonic"? I'm guessing some sort of DIY Orange Chill/Bay Rum mashup...

I have to ask, what exactly is "Orange Bay Tonic"? I'm guessing some sort of DIY Orange Chill/Bay Rum mashup...

You are correct. Since the original Stirling Soap Bay Rum was a bit to much on the clove-driven side for my liking a tried to mix/blend some other Stirling Soaps with the Bay Rum.

Finally, my combo of choice was:
- Bay Rum
- Orange Chill
- Gin Tonic
(Ratio 1/3 each).

Scentwise I really enjoy this mix since the citrus notes (orange and lime) add some extra complexity to the spicy scent. The menthol works super nice in this mix as well and - that was the main goal - the scent of the clove is not that strong anymore...

You are correct. Since the original Stirling Soap Bay Rum was a bit to much on the clove-driven side for my liking a tried to mix/blend some other Stirling Soaps with the Bay Rum.

Finally, my combo of choice was:
- Bay Rum
- Orange Chill
- Gin Tonic
(Ratio 1/3 each).

Scentwise I really enjoy this mix since the citrus notes (orange and lime) add some extra complexity to the spicy scent. The menthol works super nice in this mix as well and - that was the main goal - the scent of the clove is not that strong anymore...

Of course, Gin and Tonic! I was trying to place what the "Tonic" might be and couldn't quite figure it out. Glad you found a mix of scents that works better for you than the original Bay Rum. Nothing more disappointing than finding yourself in possession of a full tub of soap that doesn't quite appeal to you...

SOTD (# 114/2020)
24-06-2020
20200623_200400-01-01.jpeg

Brush: NOM Gustav Havanna Synthetic
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street ~ No. 50
Razor: Mühle R41 Twist
Blade: Feather (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap Orange Chill AS, Nivea Sensitive ASB.

JAHE - still in.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I need your advice y'all.

For Father's day, I got some hyaluronic acid. It's supposedly good for the face. After researching how best to use it, I have discovered that, ideally, you should put it on first, followed by a moisturizer.

This is in the context of my use of an oil for my aftershave. Apparently, oils do not so much moisturize per se, but lock in moisture. Hyaluronic acid needs to be followed with a true moisturizer, which I do not have.

And this is the problem. HA, followed by moisturizer... I am not even sure I would need my aftershave oil. I might, I just don't know. Any moisturizer I bought would be for my whole face, not just the area I shave. But the purchase of a facial moisturizer might obviate my need for the aftershave... ugh....

Can any of you chime into as to the legality of this in the context of the sabbatical?

I shaved today after having been on a hiatus for the past three months! I left a goatee going on but, my cheeks and neck are that familiar level of clean and smooth! Love it.

I prefer the beard look. Way prefer the shaven feel though. Don‘t think this will have any influence on my no-buy anything for a year thing, I still have a ton of product.

Thats my story. Like it or ignore it. :)

I need your advice y'all.

For Father's day, I got some hyaluronic acid. It's supposedly good for the face. After researching how best to use it, I have discovered that, ideally, you should put it on first, followed by a moisturizer.

This is in the context of my use of an oil for my aftershave. Apparently, oils do not so much moisturize per se, but lock in moisture. Hyaluronic acid needs to be followed with a true moisturizer, which I do not have.

And this is the problem. HA, followed by moisturizer... I am not even sure I would need my aftershave oil. I might, I just don't know. Any moisturizer I bought would be for my whole face, not just the area I shave. But the purchase of a facial moisturizer might obviate my need for the aftershave... ugh....

Can any of you chime into as to the legality of this in the context of the sabbatical?
Myself I only use moisturizer as a post-shave (I have experimented with balms, but I haven't found they add anything over moisturizer). If it's the morning I'll put one on with sunscreen, if it's the evening I'll use a cheaper one without sunscreen. Since the moisturizer goes on my whole face, goes on even when I don't shave, since it's used by the wife and even occasionally on the kid when his skin is acting up, I don't consider it a "shave product" when purchasing, and to me it doesn't have any bearing on the sabbatical. It's like restocking liquid facial soap for us--I do use it before shaving, but I also use it when not shaving, so it's not a dedicated "pre-shave" product.

Last edited:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Myself I only use moisturizer as a post-shave (I have experimented with balms, but I haven't found they add anything over moisturizer). If it's the morning I'll put one on with sunscreen, if it's the evening I'll use a cheaper one without sunscreen. Since the moisturizer goes on my whole face, goes on even when I don't shave, since it's used by the wife and even occasionally on the kid when his skin is acting up, I don't consider it a "shave product" when purchasing, and to me it doesn't have any bearing on the sabbatical. It's like restocking liquid facial soap for us--I do use it before shaving, but I also use it when not shaving, so it's not a dedicated "pre-shave" product.
That was my inclination as well.

Out of curiosity, what facial moisturizers do you use? Recommendations appreciated!

SOTD (# 115/2020)
26-06-2020
20200625_190936-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water, Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: Phoenix & Beau ~ Trafalgar
Razor: shimmed Merkur 15C
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (4)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS, Nivea Sensitive ASB.

JAHE - still in.

SOTD (# 116/2020)
28-06-2020
20200628_140823-01.jpeg

Brush: Thäter 4125/2 2-Band Silvertip Badger Imperial Red 26 Fan Rounded
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street ~ Platinum
Razor: Gillette Fatboy (setting 6-6-8)
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (5)
Postshave: frigid tap water, S.Oliver Superior AS, Nivea Sensitive ASB.

JAHE - still in.

Second quarter check in starts; 29th June to 7th July. There are 46 still in the sabattical.

I'm still in and the Jensen H-type is sounding great at this halfway point.

Top Bottom