What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

SOTD (# 103/2020)
04-06-2020
20200604_145151-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water, Proraso Pre-shave White
Brush: Semogue 1460
Soap: Proraso ~ White
Razor: Gillette 40's style Super Speed
Blade: Gillette 7 o' clock Sharp Edge yellow (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Nivea ASB

JAHE - still in and it feels oh so right!

Please accept my apologies for not posting sooner. Changes have pulled me away from the wonderful forums on the Badger & Blade.

Thank you to you and others who have picked up from where I dropped the ball (shaving brush) on the sabbatical.

I am "still in". Working through my supply.

Have a good safe summer.

In my journey of discovery in this marvelous road race, I'm trying to revisit 'unused' items in my supply cache. This morning I loaded up a Shark Super Stainless blade. These were one of the original blades from years back that I ran across and simply said 'never again' after the first use.

The end results were a perfectly adequate shave from a socially acceptable standpoint, but even though I didn't run into the dire consequences I remember from my initial use of these blades many years ago I still think I'll forego any future use of them. It just lacked any pleasure from the use. It's hard to put into words, but the shave just wasn't fun, and it was slightly less 'close' than I've been getting with better ( for my face ) blades.

I ran his cousin the Shark Chrome through a re-use a few months ago and found them to better than I remembered, and also usable enough that at the time I picked up 100 more since they were ridiculously inexpensive. This was of course pre-sabbatical. I was hoping I'd have the same luck with the stainless, but it was not meant to be.

In my journey of discovery in this marvelous road race, I'm trying to revisit 'unused' items in my supply cache. This morning I loaded up a Shark Super Stainless blade. These were one of the original blades from years back that I ran across and simply said 'never again' after the first use.

The end results were a perfectly adequate shave from a socially acceptable standpoint, but even though I didn't run into the dire consequences I remember from my initial use of these blades many years ago I still think I'll forego any future use of them. It just lacked any pleasure from the use. It's hard to put into words, but the shave just wasn't fun, and it was slightly less 'close' than I've been getting with better ( for my face ) blades.

I ran his cousin the Shark Chrome through a re-use a few months ago and found them to better than I remembered, and also usable enough that at the time I picked up 100 more since they were ridiculously inexpensive. This was of course pre-sabbatical. I was hoping I'd have the same luck with the stainless, but it was not meant to be.
I find Sharks better to use with milder razors. They definitely have a bite to them so using them with aggressive razors was not fun for me. However, with razors like DE89 and 34C, they definitely provided a bit more blade feel to the shave.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Please accept my apologies for not posting sooner. Changes have pulled me away from the wonderful forums on the Badger & Blade.

Thank you to you and others who have picked up from where I dropped the ball (shaving brush) on the sabbatical.

I am "still in". Working through my supply.

Have a good safe summer.
Glad to see you are safe!

*Steps from Darth Lord role

If we all are honest with ourselves, once we find what works for us we stick with it verses chasing. For me it is a toss up between my Futur clone or RazoRock Mission v2. I have many razors i will not part with due to others blessing them through pifs and generosity (especially the ones from you Stan).

I know that i pick and have fun with everyone about getting new shiny, but even I the Darth Lord made it through one Sabbatical in 2018.

To those that are struggling to stay in, remember that its not worth it to chase the latest greatest.

[emoji2398]Back to Darth Lord. To the Sterling Mini Treewhale, Welcome to the Dark Side, and Yes we still have cookies, abd Keto friendly cookies as well [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

Mmm... Cookies on the dark side.

My only silvertip has quit on me yesterday after four years of daily use, the knot has gone to pastures new, i.e. garbage collector. The nickel plated brass handle is in great shape and stays for now. I do have one brush left - good old reliable Muhle badger.
I was and still am tempted to get me a new silvertip. I would if it wasn't for yearly and monthly GRUME. Thankfully I am in hence no purchase.
*patting myself on the back, giving myself cigar, pouring myself large whiskey, looking at SV and Rocca silvertips out of the corner of my eye*

oh wow, that’s a long time for a soft soap. Have you been 3017’ing it or using it a rotation?

I have been 3017 ing. It's the only soap I've used this year. I had used it a few times two-ish years again (20-30 times) I typically shave maybe 5 days a week but end of March through April were super light (maybe 3 times a week max).

It lasts a long time for me. The 1oz sample from their website gives around 30 shaves or so. Let us know your thoughts.

I have been 3017 ing. It's the only soap I've used this year. I had used it a few times two-ish years again (20-30 times) I typically shave maybe 5 days a week but end of March through April were super light (maybe 3 times a week max).

It lasts a long time for me. The 1oz sample from their website gives around 30 shaves or so. Let us know your thoughts.

Wow, that’s some economical soap!
I will certainly let you know my thoughts once I get a chance to try out some samples (they should arrive next week...).

#52 still in. Getting to the bottom of the puck of PdP No 63 that I started 3017ing on 5/2, of last year that is :). I was hoping to finish it before its one year anniversary, but as I've only shaving every three to five days since early March it's been slow going. It's a great soap and I'd purchase it again in the future, but I have plenty left in the stash that I need to work through including two pucks of SV soap (which I hear are long lasting).

No temptations - been visiting some old friends (Muhle R41 2013) recently and enjoying the lovely steep angle shaves.

#52 still in. Getting to the bottom of the puck of PdP No 63 that I started 3017ing on 5/2, of last year that is :). I was hoping to finish it before its one year anniversary, but as I've only shaving every three to five days since early March it's been slow going. It's a great soap and I'd purchase it again in the future, but I have plenty left in the stash that I need to work through including two pucks of SV soap (which I hear are long lasting).

No temptations - been visiting some old friends (Muhle R41 2013) recently and enjoying the lovely steep angle shaves.
More than a year straight is some real dedication. I commend you sir!

I have to admit that this sabbatical has become a lot easier since my office closed. I used to have gear shipped to my office, in part to fight the porch pirates in my urban neighborhood, but mostly so my wife wouldn't see my frequent acquisitions. My office remains closed, so I'm safe for now...

SOTD (# 104/2020)
07-06-2020
20200607_191652-01.jpeg

Preshave: warm water, Proraso Pre-shave White
Brush: Thäter 4125/2 2-Band Silvertip Badger Imperial Red 26 Fan Rounded
Soap: Haslinger ~ Schafsmilch
Razor: Mühle R 89
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Nivea ASB

JAHE - still in.

@pbrmhl if you get desperate let me know. I live in a near by much more rural neighborhood (porch pirates don't fare well out here). As you know I am a man of low scruples so you know my discretion can be bought for a cup of coffee or maybe even a nice beer on a hot day.

Ruckin.

Hi,

Yesterday I finished off a jar of B&M baked beans. :p

I can no longer get a jar of Burma-Shave, so I am safe. ;)

Stan - Still In

Top Bottom