What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

SOTD (# 39/2020)
20-02-2020

20200216_101253-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Semogue 1460
Soap: Gentlenan's Nod~ Ernest (Sample)
Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (18)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Orange Chill AS, Orange Chill AS Balm

JAHE - still in

Gentleman, I am going to have to respectfully withdraw from these two competitions. As much as I love saving money, I also know that I’m about to pull the trigger on some new soaps. I have a few feeling the sabbaticals just aren’t for me. I have lots of respect for those that stay in, but I have no willpower to not purchase stuff, ha.

My Col. Williams became a doughnut today. I’m not sure how many Fridays are left in it but it will signify the end of 2 pucks. Col conk lime and Williams. I think I will put my new puck of tabac in rotation next.

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;4yr/10yr Sabbatical

Gentleman, I am going to have to respectfully withdraw from these two competitions. As much as I love saving money, I also know that I’m about to pull the trigger on some new soaps. I have a few feeling the sabbaticals just aren’t for me. I have lots of respect for those that stay in, but I have no willpower to not purchase stuff, ha.

I completely understand. No worries, from my end. I've failed three or four sabbaticals, and suspect I'll fail this one as well (if I'm completely honest with myself). Carry on, soldier!

Remember, you can trade for what want and still stay in. Trading can be fun and interesting, too.

#4 here and still in. I’m committed to successfully completing this sabbatical and have even parted with three razors from my den. I’m trying to identify my favorites and sell off with the rest. So far, so good!

Still in here, gave two days between shaves this time. Added a shower then head shave and face shave. Same razors , paa Ascension with wizamet for my head, starling V2 with gem ptfe. Same blades for a month now I believe. No Nick's or weepers. Hurried my face shave since I am in a one bathroom house lol. Tabac again. My jawline from my ear to chin could have been closer by feel but up and down are smooth. Still craving a used polished Sabre l2 with stand. My cheapness is helping though lol. I finally had a custom knife finished , so I had to pay for that. Ordered from Bulgaria on may 1st2019. Next month I am debating on what razor to use. Sextoblade, er little lather catcher, maybe a fat handle tech. All new to me

SOTD (# 40/2020)
21-02-2020

20200216_100821-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Thäter 4125/2 2-Band Silvertip Badger
Soap: Storybook Soapworks ~ Visions and Revisions (Sample)
Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (19)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Nivea Sensitive AS Balm

JAHE - still in

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Sorry I haven’t been around to offer much needed encouragement. I had to go on vacation.

Anyway, I’ll continue to check in periodically just to remind those left to stay strong.

Hi,

So, I have been busy in the One Blade February challenge, using my new ATT S2 with a Med Prep. I am calling it here after 23 one-pass shaves. But, tomorrow, I will change back to my Fasan DoubleSlant and see if I can make it to the end. The Fasan has a greater helix than the ATT, so maybe that'll help. I haven't had another Slant to compare to the Fasan since 2013.

Anyway, these are the kinds of things one can do using their current stuff during a restraint to keep from looking about for new stuff. ;)

Stan - Still In

Almost two months in this sabbatical and still going strong. There was not even the slightest temptation in the past weeks. I started to reduce the number of soaps and creams in rotation, trying to stick to one setup for a week or two and I managed at least to finish up two tubs of shaving creams.

Car #35 reporting. No breakdowns or mishaps so far on this leg of the course.

The main thing that has impressed me so far on the Sabbatical is I have hardly made a dent in my inventory. I'll be participating in the Fixed Four for March and hopefully that will help finish a tub of Cella. Restraint does change your perspective. I could probably do several Sabbatical years in a row without buying anything.

I was a little bored of my routine this morning and pulled out my old DE89 with a new Persona blue blade. The result was superb and I was reminded why so many cheap knockoff razors try to copy the EJ head.

Nothing else to report. I’ve been working on two soaps but I think it’s time to swap one of them out for variety sake.

SOTD (# 41/2020)
23-02-2020

20200223_145749-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: MWF
Razor: Gillette Super Speed Red Tip
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (20)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Majestät AS, Nivea Sensitive AS Balm

JAHE - still in

Hello fellow drivers:

I have to report that I'm out. I was distracted by a shiny Gibbs adjustable that appeared at an extremely low price (for a Gibbs). Best of luck to you.

Bob

Bob,
would you mind to share some more insight, if I may ask. Why did the Gibbs make you fall out (despite a nice price)? What makes the razor so attractive for you? And pls share some pics with us when it arrives. I'm just curious.

Sorry to see you quit.

@Pepin: I guess the next chapter might be a longer one....😮

Last edited:

You are not out until you call yourself "out".
All those soaps will likely be available in January 2021. So why do they tempt you that much? What I am trying to say is we are not talking about a once in a lifetime opportunity when it comes to these soaps, do we?

Try to complete February. It is just a week ahead to go. And maybe reconsider once February has been finished how bad you really need these soaps.

If you decide to opt "out" no one will blame you. But the main idea of the sabbatical is to make your mind in first instance.

Try to complete February... You are strong enough to do it.

The main thing that has impressed me so far on the Sabbatical is I have hardly made a dent in my inventory. I'll be participating in the Fixed Four for March and hopefully that will help finish a tub of Cella. Restraint does change your perspective. I could probably do several Sabbatical years in a row without buying anything.

I think you've touched on the main thing that many sabbatical participants learn. Product lasts a long time! And when you become more conscious of how long product lasts and you look at how much stuff you've accumulated, it really does change your perspective. I currently have 4 soaps total which doesn't seem like much at all but those soaps will probably easily carry me through 2+ years. If I get tempted but then remind myself that I already have 2+ years of supply that I need to use up, temptation is easier to resist.

Hello fellow drivers:

I have to report that I'm out. I was distracted by a shiny Gibbs adjustable that appeared at an extremely low price (for a Gibbs). Best of luck to you.

Bob

Hi,

Man! Running over shiny things in the road! That's bad when racing.

I recall, in a 24 HR race (at night, of course), I ran over some shiny bits I saw too late to avoid. Turns out they were transmisson parts from another car. I flattened three tires and almost shunted into the Armco. This happened about as far from pit-in as could be. Of course it did! I limped it back without flailing the bodywork to bits, got new tires, and continued. And, we didn't lose as much time as I feared and wound up winning our class in the end.

Stan - Still In

Top Bottom