What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

PIF's lost or not, I get a kick out of everyone enjoying the Sabbatical for what it is... giving restraint a shot. If someone should fall to temptation, we all get to benefit vicariously through someone else's joy. I enjoyed reading the 2019 Sabbatical as much for the failure follow up stories as anything else. I love it!

Well said, this describes the intent of my participation well.

No hard feelings from me. Despite our best intentions, life throws us curveballs and we stumble. I'm happy for those who complete the sabbatical and don't begrudge people who fall out. I've got a 50% success rate in sabbaticals, myself. Being a part of these has taught me to be much more conscientious about my spending, and I generally enjoy following the threads, even after I fail.

Agreed, even at 0% (0/2) the sabbaticals have helped me to think about purchases and not just buy everything. The first year I was outed due to do a last minute work trip and forgot soap, therefore I bought a can of foamy (which I still have!) and then the 2nd year was a razor I'd wanted for awhile that got me. I enjoyed participated, however no regrets on either.

#38 still in, with no temptations. I am enjoying this sabbatical, and unlike other years I feel more relaxed about it and knowing I can enjoy what I have. Heck, I'm hoping to finish off a handful of soaps this year too. Almost done a Proraso red and Nivea balm.

The gold Fatboy might have got me too. Or an open comb Damaskeene. Luckily all I have seen in the wild is dirty crusty injectors, and a decent keen cutter with a high price tag, and some really rough straights.
I've given up on the local Antique Mall. No Name, chipped, rusted/pitted straights with cracked scales for $100. I understand an initial offer for a bid, but this is so clearly off the charts. I might give them $5 for wall art.

I thought we were here to reflect on the human condition and enjoy sharing each others company.

I’ve survived five sabbaticals and intend to see this one through to the end. I don’t think the glorious stories of ignominious defeat will sway me one way or the other. I am largely removed from temptation, partly by choice and partly by circumstance. Where are the antique stores to stumble into after a pint or two? Not in my neighbourhood.

I would be out in a heartbeat and no regrets if faced with some of the temptations that others gave in to. I give my congratulations, just as I give encouragement to those who struggle on. I am frail too, and I accept that.

This is good sport, no? Be in for your own reasons, and be true to yourself.

And hey, those Mercedes hubcaps would make a nice lather bowl. Hmmm...

Reactions: RTM
Hey, congrats to the D.C. XFL team for beating my Seattle Dragons--there's always another game!

Congrats on being one of 8 cities with a team. How was the game? I haven't watched it before. Are there any major and worthwhile differences between it and the NFL?

1581249223349.png

Hi,

For the last 6 months or so I've been trying to not buy any shaving soaps and to use up all I have on hand. I was doing pretty good, having used up a few pucks with no replacements. I figured it would take a year or so to go through my stockpile. I have a couple of those big Ogallala Bay Rum pucks to go through yet. Those things last nearly forever! And a container of RR Tobacco #2. And a couple Williams pucks also I think. Plus an old Colgate puck and a Conk or two.

I did fall off the wagon once - I bought a large brick of a cheap shaving soap from tj maxx over Christmas. But it has ended up as a shower soap. So maybe a close call?

My youngest Daughter made some homemade shaving soap for Christmas gifts and gave me a couple of pucks. It's awesome stuff and I would take all she could make! So I lost a little ground there. But I'm trying to stay on target.

SOTD (# 29/2020)
09-02-2020

20200208_114826-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Stirling Soap Finest Badger Fan 24/50
Soap: Wholly Kow ~ Fougère Bouquet (Sample)
Razor: shimmed Mercur 15c (OC)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (8)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Nivea After Shave Balm.

JAHE (still in)

SOTD: 02/09/2020

Soap: Cella

Brush: WCS 24mm Synth Fools Gold

Razor: Maggard Slant/WCS SS 77s Handle

Blade: Voskhod

Post Shave: Glycerin infused WItch Hazel

Aftershave: Clubman Classic Vanilla

QShave Scuttle

I’ve been doing something a little different lately. I’ve been starting my lather in the scuttle and finishing on my face. I make the lather a little thicker to start with for finishing on my face and head. This causes the lather to further thicken as I shave so a little water in the scuttle as I go along just makes it explode even more. This generally uses less product.

I’ve going to have to get the Cella dialed in. I had no issues with Williams on Friday and Arko on Saturday but the Cella was different.

The first picture is before I started and the last picture is after 6 passes plus touch ups on my head and face. I only used about half of what I made. [emoji15] With the Williams and Arko, I finished with an empty scuttle.

I can say though that is was an exceptionally smooth shave and I am wonderfully BBS all over now.

Just something else to work on during all of my sabbaticals.

Before:

proxy.php

After:

proxy.php

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;4yr/10yr Sabbatical

Last edited:
Congrats on being one of 8 cities with a team. How was the game? I haven't watched it before. Are there any major and worthwhile differences between it and the NFL?
I watched a little of Houston/LA yesterday. I think it's a good product--it doesn't have anything gimmicky (like the old XFL). Sure, there are a couple of rules changes that made the game play faster and I didn't understand the kickoffs. I like the various extra point options after a touchdown. I'll tune in again, even though Atlanta isn't one of the few cities with a team. I was surprised there wasn't a uniform sponsor (i.e. I didn't see any Nike, Adidas, or Under Armour logos)--even high schools manage to set up deals to help defray uniform costs. Arena football has carved out a niche, so I hope this version of the XFL can, too.

SOTD (# 30/2020)
10-02-2020

20200208_134249-01.jpeg

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Wickham Soap 1912 ~ Irish Fern (Sample)
Razor: shimmed Mercur 15c
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (9)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Nivea After Shave Balm.

JAHE (still in)

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B reporting in for Feb. I'm still in! I have not been tempted. Nor do I feel tempted to be tempted.

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Grande n
Blade: New Lord Platinum (1)
Brush: Omega S10019
Soap: WK King of Oud
Aftershave: Osage Rub
055_35.jpg

Still in. Yesterday's head and face shave products pictured. The Sabbatical is a great thing. You figure out what in the Den works and what does not. In the past I bought a ton of razors decided this year to keep the ones that make me happiest and get rid of some that are great but are redundant and not used as much. Sticking with 6 soap bases just different scents. 3 blades. I head and face shave 3x a week. Razors I'm going to keep are...
Adjustable..... REX Ambassador, Murkur Futur Gold. Fixed.... Timeless Titanium.95OC/Scalloped dual plate, Charcoal Goods Copper Lvl 2, Blackland Vector and Murkur 34 Gold.
Great Razors to be sold..... Timeless Aluminum, Timeless Bronze .38, Murkur Futur Satin, Murkur D89 Grande plus others.
This took me years of trying the next best "Thing" and lots of dollars. I'm done! Some of us have been at it awhile and learned our lessons but we are all different in our wants/needs/preferences and financial situations. I applaud anyone joining a Sabbatical either for a month or a year. Especially new people. Find what makes you happy and performs for ya, I'll never judge. We have all been there before.... I like this Forum because it's a learning site (met great people and learned alot) but lately I have avoided posting. What works for one won't work for another. I can get just as good a shave from a dollar stick of Arko and my 34G as I can from my Timeless Titanium and Nuavia Blu. Sorry about the rant..... I'll go back to my hole now..
20200209_124753.jpg

While I'm not in, I thought I'd make an observation. It seems what I have is not so much an AD problem as a GEEK problem. Having moved from shaving, it's now cropped up into coffee preparation. I haven't started to roast my own beans yet, but I assume I'll get there (like I did with straight razors). I don't have the loose change for a decent espresso maker, but I must have acquired nearly every manual means of grinding/brewing coffee (no aero yet, but it's in my Prime list).

Now I need to find a coffee sabbatical group.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
While I'm not in, I thought I'd make an observation. It seems what I have is not so much an AD problem as a GEEK problem. Having moved from shaving, it's now cropped up into coffee preparation. I haven't started to roast my own beans yet, but I assume I'll get there (like I did with straight razors). I don't have the loose change for a decent espresso maker, but I must have acquired nearly every manual means of grinding/brewing coffee (no aero yet, but it's in my Prime list).

Now I need to find a coffee sabbatical group.
Get the aero, it's cheap and 100% worth it.

Helping out JohnYaddy with a car selection. You will need to use your wits to win a race in this car. Slow and steady.

You'll save on petrol, compared to most of these gas guzzlers we are all choosing.

27. JohnYaddy - OneBlade razor - Datsun Type 11
Wits or driving skills, either way I’ll be bringing up the rear! Slow and steady is just my speed.

Top Bottom