What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

If I was on a trip to London and found something truly worthy to buy on St. James Street, I'd grab it in a heartbeat. The heck with any sabbatical.
I agree. I’ve never been to London so if I was there, I’d enjoy myself even if it meant giving up on sabbatical. If I was there regularly for work out some other reason, then it wouldn’t be as big a temptation. I’ve been to other European cities and haven’t seen anything I had to have. I stumbled across a barber shop in Paris that had probably everything Proraso makes, along with a few other items I can order online (much cheaper) in the US.

This is my first trip to London and there's a lot of things I want to do, however I think I can get by since most of the TOBS, T&H, Floris, etc. are available online and I can't imagine the price being dramatically different. This will at least let me sniff in person before purchasing. Plus, who wants to cart $500 in shaving stuff back in a suitcase?

@Oflhtci won the crossword puzzle prize. Sorry the solution disappeared from my computer.

This is a suggested prize. I have the charger and it works well. Substitutions are allowed.

Please IM me to claim your prize.

Congratulations.

Another good shave with the paa V2 Starling. 2 slight weepers with the SB plate. Noticed the top cap sorta suctions itself to you. Finally used my refill puck of Tabac I bought in 2018 to replace the 2016 jar. Seemed to lather insanely well
Did well by not buying the polished blackland sabre on my list in the bst recently lol.

SOTD (# 25/2020)
04-02-2020

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: Omega Synthetic 46138 Hi Brush 24/57
Soap: Dr. John's ~ Hydra (Sample)
Razor: shimmed Gillette Tech Ball End (E2/USA)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (4)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Proraso Azur Lime, Nivea After Shave Balm.

JAHE (still in)

1580804395126.png

Still in.
I finished my last sample blade in January. Which is great because now I can use the blades I like most. I have a box of 100 for each of my favorite blades: Gillette yellow, Astra SP, and Astra SS. My plan is to find out which of these three blades I like best and stick to that blade.

Report from Car #43. Broke through to the bottom of my container of grated Palmolive shave soap this morning so my goal of finishing it during the sabbatical seems doable. I’ve had it for a number of years so I’m excited to finish it off.

In related news I finished a puck of older shave soap in the shower this morning. I will start finishing off a second tomorrow. I expect I have less than 10 days left on it.

My goal of inventory reduction is looking good.

After a long drive filled with anticipation of using my new found SLOC 2.0; car 44 finally pulled in to the checkpoint. I checked in with race control, got the car parked in its designated spot for the night, and gave it a quick inspection to make sure no damage or problems were incurred on this leg of the race. I then hustled over to the hotel and checked in. After getting settled; I had time to try out my one exception for the year (SLOC 2.0). I loaded a new blade, lathered up, and upon the first stroke of the razor I was thrown in to a bottomless pool of disappointment! What happened to the SLOC geometry? What was going on with all this blade feel? I sobbed; I cried; I beat my fists against the counter in anger! Maybe a steeper angle? Maybe a shallower angle? More pressure, less pressure? In the end none of it helped. I was forced to come to terms with it.....the SLOC 2.0 wasn't for me! No matter what I tried I just couldn't get it to shave as well as the original SLOC.

Dejected; I slipped my SLOC 2.0 and a couple other razors I had in to my coat pocket, and made my way down to the hotel lounge. I was hoping to run in to other drivers that would have razors to trade, but no luck. I asked around for anyone wanting to trade handles, soaps, aftershaves......no luck. In the end I did find a few non-sabbatical hotel guests that wanted to purchase my lovely SLOC 2.0 and other razors. After quick negotiations with each one; we struck a deal and the razors were off to their new homes.

I finished my drink, and headed back to my room. Tomorrow would be another long day on the road!

First shave today with a Feather SS Japanese straight razor. Not bad, but I’ve read the blades don’t get as many shaves as they do in other razors like that. 19 left counting the one in the razor so maybe I can make the most of them throughout the year. Plenty of other blades and gear though to make it through. No temptations so far, unless you count wanting to try the new Wholly Kaw base soaps. Other than that, I’m good to go.

SOTD (# 26/2020)
05-02-2020

Preshave: Proraso White pre-shave cream
Brush: NOM Gustav Havanna Synthetic
Soap: D.R. Harris ~ Windsor (Sample)
Razor: shimmed Gillette Tech Ball End (E2/USA)
Blade: Wilkinson Sword / Germany (5)
Postshave: fridig tap water, Fine Orange Noir AS, Nivea After Shave Balm.

JAHE (still in)

Still in! SOTD - 04 FEB 2020

SOTD 02042020.jpg

Brush - Semogue 830
Lather - Vikings Citron soap
Razor - Lithe base + DOC head
Blade - Astra SP (13)
Post-shave - Thayer's WH Rose

I had some brush temptations yesterday after finding out some discounts.. but reminded myself of the GRUYERE and kept trucking on.

still in, the light by the shower has burnt out, however so I shaved in the dark this morning (there's ambient light from the vanity). It doesn't count if I go buy light bulbs does it?

Top Bottom