What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Still in!

20200124_100947.jpg

Jan. 6th. Driver No. 28 wmitchell – 1932 Ford (OUT – withdrew)

As each team followed their directions, and interpretation of the symbols and codes used for navigators, things got a bit interesting. The distances and times to their nightly check in locations were identical, but routes were different from team to team, sure they did cross paths, some nights all will be in the same town, but variety did exist. Each team’s navigators had to decipher the symbols and codes for identifying the correct road to take.

Team E was off to a good start, and interesting group of vehicles. All from across the pond. We have a Studebaker, Packard, Cord, Cadillac, a Ford and here a real twist. A Datsun from the other side of the world. Luxury cars, family cars and a sleeper from the Orient.

Driver Noodles is off in his Cord, the sleek form disappearing quickly over the horizon. Hopefully he can watch the speed. Each car must complete the set legs of the rally in pre-determined times. So being too slow is as bad as being too fast here. Looks like they team drivers are sticking together.

Driver wmitchell turned to his navigator, “Did you just miss telling me about a turn?” “No not at all. We keep on this route for …… 2 ½ miles more, then hang a sharp right.” Behind them wmittchell could see the shiny Cord in the distance, damn they were catching up!. Driver JohnYaddy motored along in his Datsun, surprised at the nimbleness of the small car. Turning to his navigator, “Lucky for us speed is not the objective. This little unit is actually a nice car.” “Yes, it is, could be a real sleeper for us.”

As per a pre-arranged set the vehicles stopped in a local pub for lunch. As they were staggered times, the team members only met for a brief time before leaving again.

Driver wmitchell put down his pint, “and I am telling you that we must go to the west! There is a shortcut I know of,” “But sir, this is a timed event not a race.” “Stop interrupting me, I am the driver after all. If we get ahead, this will allow us to pull over for a snooze, or better yet a quickie.” Small cough “If we make this little town I know, there is the perfect little establishment we can visit.” With that he downed pint, “Come on, come on time’s a wasting.” Soon they were off. Wmitchell pulled to the side about an hour after lunch. “Well we are set. Full tank of gas, some food, cigarettes and googles. Here is the shortcut.” The navigator gasped, “Shortcut! that is nothing but a cow-path, and a poor one at that.” “Don’t you worry laddie; I know what I am doing.” With that he turned off the road and began going down the cow-path, the vehicle bouncing erratically over the rocks, ruts and bumps. Soon they were out of sight of the road, and of any dwellings.

As the sun set, and the teams pulled into their assigned hostels for the night. After the first day of driving there was an air of excitement around. The teams checked over their vehicles, making sure everything was mechanically sound, and all fluids topped up. At the dinner table CJB3 held out the newspaper he had been reading. Look at this. “It says that after the long history of mining in the area, it is like a big Swiss cheese, hole, tunnels every where. You could lose an entire bus in some of these old pits.” “Yes, rather fascinating isn’t it?” “say we should an early night. Supposed to get a bit of weather tomorrow.
wmitchell  - 32 Ford.jpg

In the morning the time-keeper and officials are recording the depart times, the air noticeably colder, as their breath shows. “I say, CJB3, you're the lead driver in your team. We have not seen wmitchell. Do you know what is on with him?” CJB3 checks in with the other cars on his team, then the hotel. Finally, he walks up to the officials table, “No one has seen wmitchell since lunch time yesterday. Some heard him talking about a shortcut. Most likely lost somewhere, and/or broken down. May have to drop him. It would be shame, so early in the course.”

Jan. 6th. Driver No. 28 wmitchell – 1932 Ford (OUT – withdrew)

As each team followed their directions, and interpretation of the symbols and codes used for navigators, things got a bit interesting. The distances and times to their nightly check in locations were identical, but routes were different from team to team, sure they did cross paths, some nights all will be in the same town, but variety did exist. Each team’s navigators had to decipher the symbols and codes for identifying the correct road to take.

Team E was off to a good start, and interesting group of vehicles. All from across the pond. We have a Studebaker, Packard, Cord, Cadillac, a Ford and here a real twist. A Datsun from the other side of the world. Luxury cars, family cars and a sleeper from the Orient.

Driver Noodles is off in his Cord, the sleek form disappearing quickly over the horizon. Hopefully he can watch the speed. Each car must complete the set legs of the rally in pre-determined times. So being too slow is as bad as being too fast here. Looks like they team drivers are sticking together.

Driver wmitchell turned to his navigator, “Did you just miss telling me about a turn?” “No not at all. We keep on this route for …… 2 ½ miles more, then hang a sharp right.” Behind them wmittchell could see the shiny Cord in the distance, damn they were catching up!. Driver JohnYaddy motored along in his Datsun, surprised at the nimbleness of the small car. Turning to his navigator, “Lucky for us speed is not the objective. This little unit is actually a nice car.” “Yes, it is, could be a real sleeper for us.”

As per a pre-arranged set the vehicles stopped in a local pub for lunch. As they were staggered times, the team members only met for a brief time before leaving again.

Driver wmitchell put down his pint, “and I am telling you that we must go to the west! There is a shortcut I know of,” “But sir, this is a timed event not a race.” “Stop interrupting me, I am the driver after all. If we get ahead, this will allow us to pull over for a snooze, or better yet a quickie.” Small cough “If we make this little town I know, there is the perfect little establishment we can visit.” With that he downed pint, “Come on, come on time’s a wasting.” Soon they were off. Wmitchell pulled to the side about an hour after lunch. “Well we are set. Full tank of gas, some food, cigarettes and googles. Here is the shortcut.” The navigator gasped, “Shortcut! that is nothing but a cow-path, and a poor one at that.” “Don’t you worry laddie; I know what I am doing.” With that he turned off the road and began going down the cow-path, the vehicle bouncing erratically over the rocks, ruts and bumps. Soon they were out of sight of the road, and of any dwellings.

As the sun set, and the teams pulled into their assigned hostels for the night. After the first day of driving there was an air of excitement around. The teams checked over their vehicles, making sure everything was mechanically sound, and all fluids topped up. At the dinner table CJB3 held out the newspaper he had been reading. Look at this. “It says that after the long history of mining in the area, it is like a big Swiss cheese, hole, tunnels every where. You could lose an entire bus in some of these old pits.” “Yes, rather fascinating isn’t it?” “say we should an early night. Supposed to get a bit of weather tomorrow.
View attachment 1055833
In the morning the time-keeper and officials are recording the depart times, the air noticeably colder, as their breath shows. “I say, CJB3, you're the lead driver in your team. We have not seen wmitchell. Do you know what is on with him?” CJB3 checks in with the other cars on his team, then the hotel. Finally, he walks up to the officials table, “No one has seen wmitchell since lunch time yesterday. Some heard him talking about a shortcut. Most likely lost somewhere, and/or broken down. May have to drop him. It would be shame, so early in the course.”
Poor wmitchell... the devil made him do it! :devil:

I think I will refrain from the feb one blade challenge not because I can't do 29 days but I have 23 days on the blade I have now and am not wanting to retire it early so I can see if I can stretch it to 60+. But I would encourage folks to try the one blade Feb challenge because you might be surprised how long a blade really can last.

Ruckin (super frugal in some dimensions but not others)

I think I will refrain from the feb one blade challenge not because I can't do 29 days but I have 23 days on the blade I have now and am not wanting to retire it early so I can see if I can stretch it to 60+. But I would encourage folks to try the one blade Feb challenge because you might be surprised how long a blade really can last.

Ruckin (super frugal in some dimensions but not others)

I'll have 28 shaves on the blade I'm taking into the challenge. 52 is my previous PR. I shave everyday, so I'm committing to a PR.

As I was heading for the next checkpoint at a breakneck speed; I rounded a blind corner in my Bugatti. There in the narrow road an object suddenly appeared ahead! At that speed; I instantly knew that I was in trouble. It wasn't a huge object in the road, but enough to damage tires, wheels, suspension, oil pan, and if it kicked up in to the undercarriage who knows what damage the car would sustain. Visions of wrecking out of the race and disappointing all of my team members flashed in my head. I had only one option. I hit the brakes hard, but a bit too hard and the rear end broke loose and started to skid. My car threatened to spin me around like a top! Quick counter steering kept me on the road as I pumped the brakes furiously and fought for control. I barely managed to keep the car pointed in the correct direction. I finally got stopped, and with just inches to spare. I hopped out of the roadster to investigate this menacing object in the road that threatened to take me out of the race and end my sabbatical journey.

It looked like a strange rock....However, as I picked it up it was far too light on one end to be a solid rock. Wiping the dust and dirt away with my hand it became more apparent what I was holding. It turned out to be a piece of aluminum that had threatened my continuation of the race. It had slots and teeth cut all over it. A thought crossed my mind, but could it really be what I thought? I rushed to the car and grabbed my canteen. A quick pour of some water revealed its identity.

It WAS a Rock....a Razorock!

There on the bottom was the laser engraving! It said Razorock on one side, and there on the other....SLOC 2.0. It was the previously teased and just released razor from Razorock!

I had to sit down and lean against my Bugatti's front bumper to calm myself from both the narrowly avoided collision and the excitement of finding this new razor in the road. I began to wonder how it had gotten here? My mind then jumped to the rules of our race. Specifically the rule that forbids purchasing or acquiring any additional shave gear while the race is ongoing. If you didnt have it in the car when you started, you couldnt add it. I knew I couldnt bear to leave this lovely razor on the side of the road. Luckily I had the foresight to declare the milled SLOC as my solitary exception to this rule. Now that exception has been used!

Finding an extra cloth in my car; I wiped the razor down, wrapped it carefully, and packed it away in my lugage. I jumped back in the car, buckled my lap belt, and headed down the road. Eagerly anticipating getting to the next checkpoints and being able to give this new found razor a thorough shakedown to see if it is as sleek, fast, forgiving, enjoyable, and reliable as my Bugatti auto has been!

$44 or so spent at Stiling soap today on regular bar soaps. I love that site, he always has some really nice soap. Of course it changes all the time so if I miss something I wanted, to bad :). No matter, the selection is always good. Still in.

Update

#
Name
Exception
Car

Team One
Pepin
Vintage razor
Citroën Traction Avant
pbrmhl
Stirling razor
Audi Type SS
CzechCzar
Stirling's new efficient razor
1933 Duesenberg II SJ Boattail Speedster
jim99
Stirling Christmas soap
1937 supercharged Cord
garyTha
No Exception
Austin 12
JAHE
No Exception
Audi 920 black drop-top

Team Two
JeffJ
No Exception
Lancia Dilambda
deafficianado
Wolfman razor
Bentley Speed Six
martym
No Exception
Renault GS
tsimmns
Tub WK Fern Concerto Menthol
1929 Alfa Romeo 6C
Ruva
No Exception
1936 Ford Model C Ten
Ruckin
No Exception
1937 ford pickup

Team Three
Sotiris_A
Shaving scuttle
Bugatti Type 57S
AZBronco
No Exception
1933 Derby (French car)
Invicta
No Exception
Jensen H type
VerbaVolant
one stainless razor
Bugatti 55 Roadster
Chandu
No Exception
Rolls-Royce Twenty
T.Orso
witch hazel
Triumph Gloria Vitesse

Team Four
ByDoms
No Exception
MG 14/28
Keen Edge
No Exception
Scuderia Ferrari Alfa 8C-35
Emwolf
No Exception
Opel Kapitan
AlphaFrank75
Red Tip Rocket refurbished
Mercedes-Benz SSK
RTM
No Exception
Bentley 8 Litre
02fhhtci
(1) tub of Murphy and McNeil Nantahala
Cadillac 355

Team Five
CJB3
grail razor
Studebaker President
GeromimoWSB
No Exception
Packard 8
JohnYaddy
OneBlade razor
Datsun type 11
Noodles
Wolfman razor
1937 Cord 812 Phaeton
JohnnieTime
witch hazel
Cadillac Series 60

Team Six
bobmsp
stainless steel razor
Dusenberg SJ Speedster
Brian C.
No Exception
1937 Ford Convertible
mikelz777
No Exception
Mercedes Benz 320A
Timeclo
One artisan brush
Mercedes Benz 500K
Atlantic59
One pack travel razors
Alfa Romeo 6C 2300B Mille Miglia
Carm10
No Exception
GAZ-M1

Team Seven
5Cantonas
Fatip slant
Chrysler Imperial
ShavingPanda
Brush
1937 Jaguar SS
Ryanshh
Bingle Buddy Gift Exchange
1936 Lincoln Zephyr
Drquantum
DR Harris Arlington soap
1932 Nash Ambassador Eight
olegunnar
Travel Cart(s)
Peugeot Type 183
Doc_S
strop replacement
Steyr 220 Gläser Roadster (1939)

Team Eight
Geneaut
Old Spice Shave Mug
Wolseley Hornet 6 ( 1930 )
AKH223
CNC Milled SLOC
Bugatti Type 35B Grand Prix (1925)
Chesty
No Exception
Hispano-Suiza H6
Earcutter
Mentholated aftershave
Fiat 518
Meanpr
Travel Razor
1935 DeSoto Airflow
Mr_Houston
No Exception
1931 Hillman Wizard

Team Nine
Azwetshaver
Straight razor
Mercedes-Benz 540K Special Roadster
It's Hedley
Grail Razor
Moon-Ruxton 1930 Model C
Silky Glide
No Exception
1933 Pierce Silver Arrow
MuhleShaver
No Exception
1938 VW Beetle
karhu
Semogue Mistura Brush
1928 Morris Minor
Thomas Darkblade
No Exception
1925 Mercedes W05 SSKL

Team Ten
kaidecologne
Pils 101 NE
39 Opel Kapitän Cabriolet
jamesearthdrum
No Exception
1930 KJ Henderson
Raven Koenes
Fatip Slant
1939 Fiat 1500 B
Neffarious
No Exception
Mercedes Benz 710-SSK
Wtd1911
Simpson Chubby 2 or 3 Manchurian
Adler 2 Liter
Heron
Shave soap
Datsun 17
Esetter
eplate one razor
Morris Oxford

Team Eleven
bjm
Timeless razor
1930 Cadillac V-12
Rvshave
No Exception
'29 Ruxton Roadster
_Stormin_
No Exception
32 Duesenberg Model SJ
147_Grain
No Exception
Alfa Romeo P3
Aziraphale
King Cobra SE
'36 Lincoln K-Series (Zephyr) V-12
KQY61
No Exception
1917 Disbrow Special
gcconspiracy
OC plate for Karve CB
Bugatti Royale

Interesting day today. I found an unopened 5 pack of Shark Super Stainless blades that I can't ever remember buying. Pop half of one my Parker SRX Professional Shavette and had a great shave.
May buy more in 2021 🙈

As I was heading for the next checkpoint at a breakneck speed; I rounded a blind corner in my Bugatti. There in the narrow road an object suddenly appeared ahead! At that speed; I instantly knew that I was in trouble. It wasn't a huge object in the road, but enough to damage tires, wheels, suspension, oil pan, and if it kicked up in to the undercarriage who knows what damage the car would sustain. Visions of wrecking out of the race and disappointing all of my team members flashed in my head. I had only one option. I hit the brakes hard, but a bit too hard and the rear end broke loose and started to skid. My car threatened to spin me around like a top! Quick counter steering kept me on the road as I pumped the brakes furiously and fought for control. I barely managed to keep the car pointed in the correct direction. I finally got stopped, and with just inches to spare. I hopped out of the roadster to investigate this menacing object in the road that threatened to take me out of the race and end my sabbatical journey.

It looked like a strange rock....However, as I picked it up it was far too light on one end to be a solid rock. Wiping the dust and dirt away with my hand it became more apparent what I was holding. It turned out to be a piece of aluminum that had threatened my continuation of the race. It had slots and teeth cut all over it. A thought crossed my mind, but could it really be what I thought? I rushed to the car and grabbed my canteen. A quick pour of some water revealed its identity.

It WAS a Rock....a Razorock!

There on the bottom was the laser engraving! It said Razorock on one side, and there on the other....SLOC 2.0. It was the previously teased and just released razor from Razorock!

I had to sit down and lean against my Bugatti's front bumper to calm myself from both the narrowly avoided collision and the excitement of finding this new razor in the road. I began to wonder how it had gotten here? My mind then jumped to the rules of our race. Specifically the rule that forbids purchasing or acquiring any additional shave gear while the race is ongoing. If you didnt have it in the car when you started, you couldnt add it. I knew I couldnt bear to leave this lovely razor on the side of the road. Luckily I had the foresight to declare the milled SLOC as my solitary exception to this rule. Now that exception has been used!

Finding an extra cloth in my car; I wiped the razor down, wrapped it carefully, and packed it away in my lugage. I jumped back in the car, buckled my lap belt, and headed down the road. Eagerly anticipating getting to the next checkpoints and being able to give this new found razor a thorough shakedown to see if it is as sleek, fast, forgiving, enjoyable, and reliable as my Bugatti auto has been!
Fantastic!

I broke into my restock supplies yesterday, loading a Bic blade into my Old Type. I had the blade’s reputation for sharpness in mind at the start of the shave, as well as the Old Type’s potential to do harm if mishandled.

Applying no pressure and generally using good technique, I got an excellent shave from this combination.

Used the same razor and blade today for another great shave. Quick, smooth, efficient, close.

For me this is one of those “look no further” combinations. The Old Type is my favourite razor aesthetically, the most pleasing to use as an object. And Bic seems to be the blade to deliver its best performance.

For me this is one of those “look no further” combinations. The Old Type is my favourite razor aesthetically, the most pleasing to use as an object. And Bic seems to be the blade to deliver its best performance.

Congrats on finding such a "grail combo".
:a14: However I guess you will continue to look further. We all do... :lol:

Great write-up, Pepin. I can't wait to read the next chapter. I hope you will post it soon even if nobody drops out...

I came home from work yesterday to find my wife had been busy putting up some shelves and moving my shave supplies out from under the sink and out where they can be seen and enjoyed. Surprisingly, she's enjoyed finding stuff for me over the years--she's bought more of this than I have!

IMG_0681.jpg
IMG_0682.jpg
IMG_0683.jpg
IMG_0684.jpg
IMG_0685.jpg

Top Bottom