What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

SOTD (221/2020)
02-12-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201201_234427-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water
Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Sandpiper
Razor: Gillette Fatboy
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Stirling Soap ~ Sandpiper AS.

JAHE - still in

Hi,

So, where is our neighborhood Darth Lord saying to 'buy it all! you know you want to!'?

[emoji14]

Stan - Still In and Not Looking
No need to when you are doing it for me [emoji3]

Even though it would be nice to treat oneself to new gear for an extra special Christmas shave.

Cookies will be made by Mrs. Darth Lord this month [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

I can just about see a hazy image in the distance before me; ch flag-a.JPG and the black flag bl flag.JPG is now redundant;
There are 32 intrepid racers now heading for the finish line so keep your eyes focused on that chequered flag which is just a mere 28 days away. The statistics to date;
SPS2020-3dec.JPG
SPS2020-3dec-b.JPG

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B. Team 10 (still in and winding down towards the finish line)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Testina Gentile
Blade: Shark Platinum (4)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo
Soap: Proraso White
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman (Splash)
033_24.jpg

What I have learned over the year: I'm a sick puppy. I didn't even put a dent in my shaving stash, and I haven't used 85% of what I have. I was still tempted to buy more. That's insane.

Last edited:
Raven Koenes, Car 57, 1939 Fiat 1500 B. Team 10 (still in and winding down towards the finish line)

SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Testina Gentile
Blade: Shark Platinum (4)
Brush: APShaveco uBrush Tuxedo
Soap: Proraso White
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman (Splash)
View attachment 1189875
What I have learned over the year: I'm a sick puppy. I didn't even put a dent in my shaving stash, and I haven't used 85% of what I have. I was still tempted to buy more. That's insane.

What is even more insane is the fact that you are not alone with this conclusion...
In a nutshell: +1

We will meet again in the 2021 sabbacital thread, won't we?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
What is even more insane is the fact that you are not alone with this conclusion...
In a nutshell: +1

We will meet again in the 2021 sabbacital thread, won't we?
Perhaps, there's some things "I need to buy" after the New Year. :blush: Then I should be good. :biggrin1:

SOTD (222/2020)
03-12-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201202_194038-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water
Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2-band badger
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Haverford
Razor: golden FATIP Open Comb Slant (aka the go-FOCS)
Blade: Gillette Platinum (3)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Razorock ~ Santa Maria del Fiore AS.

JAHE - still in

Good to see Kevdogg329 back on the prowl- not like there isn't enough temptation out there as we near the end. I went back to the AOS Peppermint with the brass Gem 1912 today. Tried it with face lathering on a Semogue boar and went heavy on the water. Not a spot of blood and no feedback from the alum block. I can't say that it is a product that I will bother with in the future but I am chipping away at all of the products that have been sitting on the shelf that never get used. Likely to get this cream used up by Christma.s I will get well into next year before I need to buy anything.

#4 still cruising along without an issue. I never even purchased my exception. Other than picking up some soaps, I don’t need a darn thing.

...What I have learned over the year: I'm a sick puppy. I didn't even put a dent in my shaving stash, and I haven't used 85% of what I have. I was still tempted to buy more. That's insane.
Isn't that the truth? I discovered this year that once you have a soap rotation of significant size, you can hardly finish any of them off after a year! I might have to resort to the 3017 treatment, but where's the fun in that?

Of course, I want to get a Fatip Slant and MMOC after the first of the year. Then, just a few soaps I've been curious about. Maybe just one more brush. Then, perhaps will do another year of Sabbatical to temporarily halt the slide to madness.

😵

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
We get the first two weeks of the year for replenishment.
Is it a time to replenish or a time for a binge? I could do a helluva lotta damage to my credit cards in 2 weeks. I've been pretty successful at the monthly restraints and I feel good about myself for it, so I'm thinking of doing 2021. Rule #14 of the 2020 Sabbatical reads

1. Only if you succeeded in the 2019 Sabbatical, you have from January 1-14, 2020 as restock window.
If I complete the December GRUME on 31 December, I haven't completed the 2020 Sabbatical, but I still might "need to" replenish.

To be honest there's not a thing I would need to roll right through from now till 2022 without a purchase, but my disordered mind sees that 2 week window in January as an opportunity to act out without (technically) sinning.

I just told you I'm warped in the brain box. Stop looking at me like that.

Last edited:
Is it a time to replenish or a time for a binge? I could do a helluva lotta damage to my credit cards in 2 weeks. I've been pretty successful at the monthly restraints and I feel good about myself for it, so I'm thinking of doing 2021. Rule #14 of the 2020 Sabbatical reads

1. Only if you succeeded in the 2019 Sabbatical, you have from January 1-14, 2020 as restock window.
If I complete the December GRUME on 31 December, I haven't completed the 2020 Sabbatical, but I still might "need to" replenish.

To be honest there's not a thing I would need to roll right through from now till 2022 without a purchase, but my disordered mind sees that 2 week window in January as an opportunity to act out without (technically) sinning.

I just told you I'm warped in the brain box. Stop looking at me like that.
You would have to buy in December (and fail the December GRUME) if you wanted to buy anything before the start of the sabbatical year.

We have a confession box here on this thread, but there is no absolution for your sins -- we just kick you out if you fail.
👨‍⚖️ 🥾 :applause:

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
You would have to buy in December (and fail the December GRUME) if you wanted to buy anything before the start of the sabbatical year.

We have a confession box here on this thread, but there is no absolution for your sins -- we just kick you out if you fail.
👨‍⚖️
OH NO. A MORAL DILEMMA.

Hi,

The December monthly ends at Christmas Day, so there is a window there prior to the start of the 21 year-long. It has always been this way for December for this very reason. Gives folks the option of stepping from Monthlies to Yearly.

Stan - Still In

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Hi,

The December monthly ends at Christmas Day, so there is a window there prior to the start of the 21 year-long. It has always been this way for December for this very reason. Gives folks the option of stepping from Monthlies to Yearly.

Stan - Still In
Really? I can buy shaving Stuff I "need" on Christmas day? Woo-hoo! :w00t: Please tell me this is so, or that they haven't made some kind of an exception where I'm concerned?

Hi,

No, the day after Christmas thru New Year's eve.

But, I just went and looked and someone didn't spell out the December monthly the proper way. So, I guess you are back at failing out the week before the start of the 2021 year-long if you need stock to make it thru an entire year.

I used to follow the monthlies, but then somewhere along this epic trip I fell out of that habit. If I had, I could have pointed that out before the December one began. Oh, well.

Stan - Still In

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Hi,

No, the day after Christmas thru New Year's eve.

But, I just went and looked and someone didn't spell out the December monthly the proper way. So, I guess you are back at failing out the week before the start of the 2021 year-long if you need stock to make it thru an entire year.

I used to follow the monthlies, but then somewhere along this epic trip I fell out of that habit. If I had, I could have pointed that out before the December one began. Oh, well.

Stan - Still In
In my case "need" is a stretch by any terms lol. I can wait until the 26th. I'm determined to go through that checkered flag!

In the past there was a few day grace window for those brave souls stepping up from monthly/quarterly to yearly. Whoever sets the 2021 thread up can spell that out in the first post of the 2021 yearly.

Cookies will be fresh a week from tomorrow. Planning chocolate chip, cherry filled and I believe ugly sweater sugar cookie.

I could say as the Darth Lord to just buy and be out, but I want the newbies to have a fair shot at failing the 2021 sabbatical.

BTW I have a razor for sale for 1 dollar only for someone still in the restraint that is willing to swerve over here to see what I am offering.

Is it a vintage Gillette with a story, or a Dollar tree DE?

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

Top Bottom