What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

Don't give up on that Parker yet, JAHE. I have found them to be a little more aggressive but well worth it. I started with a 76R which has a nice long handle and is a bit of a heavyweight. Still get excellent shaves with almost any blade but I especially like it with Astra Platinum. I have been going fully single edge this month. I have a Gem 1912 travel kit that my son gave me and I am always amazed at the shave that I get with it. I have two MMOC's that are also excellent. I also have another 1912 that just doesn't want to play nice (yet!). Likely operator error but I will keep working at it.

Don't give up on that Parker yet, JAHE. I have found them to be a little more aggressive but well worth it. I started with a 76R which has a nice long handle and is a bit of a heavyweight. Still get excellent shaves with almost any blade but I especially like it with Astra Platinum. I have been going fully single edge this month. I have a Gem 1912 travel kit that my son gave me and I am always amazed at the shave that I get with it. I have two MMOC's that are also excellent. I also have another 1912 that just doesn't want to play nice (yet!). Likely operator error but I will keep working at it.

Parker 87R is the only Parker in my den - so my remarks only relate to this particular razor. I will successively test my copy with all my favourite blades - unfortunately as of yet the shaves with several blade brands felt rather harsh
,mechanically my copy looks fine though.
Fwiw, I have no issues with aggressive razors.
Time will tell...

Last edited:
SOTD (217/2020)
27-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201126_223140-01.jpeg

Preshave: frigid tap water
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo 28mm
Soap: Haslinger ~ Schafsmilch
Razor: Mühle R41
Blade: Shark Platinum (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water

The Shark Platinum, being a mid sharp blade imho, provided a good shave in the R41, however there was still a tad of tugging. Stunning result nevertheless (no surprise): three passes and my face is smooth as silk.

JAHE - still in

I’m swerving all over these Black Friday sales boys!! It’s like black ice in the dead of a cold winters night, all is well, until you open your emails and see the sales!

Pray for me gents! There’s a world of awesomeness out there and it’s all on sale!!

SOTD (218/2020)
28-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201128_093406-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 1800
Soap: Razorock ~ The Dead Sea
Razor: Mühle R41
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Razorock The Dead Sea AS.

Another super close shave with the R41. The R41 is amazing. The only "drawback" with this razor is (I fear) there will be no significant stubble on my face on Sunday (I shaved late today, in the afternoon) and I likely will thus skip my Sunday shave.

JAHE - still in

Last edited:
I've waited until after Thanksgiving to use up a tub of Art of Shaving Peppermint shave cream. This is coinciding with a cycle of single edge shaving. Yesterday and today I started with a brass Gem 1912 that I have not used a lot, although I have used a number of similar razors. Both days were so bad after the first pass that I put it away and finished with a MMOC. I am finding that this cream is much thicker than the Proraso and PDP 63 that I use most of the time. I suspect that I am using more pressure. Plan to water it more tomorrow and hope for a better result. It's been awhile since I've had to rely on the styptic pencil this much.

Since we already have almost completed the 11th month of our sabbacital year I made my mind whether to continue the sabbacital journey in 2021. Despite I do not need anything (I am not prone of running short with anything shave gear related) I am very pleased with the vast stash of stuff I have. I might add one or two soaps since I already have the matching fragrances (which feels okay to me since I sold/pifed five or six unused tubs in the course of the year.)
So I conclude: 2021 sabbacital - here I come... who' s in, too?

@Pepin: do you intend to host the 2021 sabbacital thread? We know you had a tough year but maybe things are getting better now...? (besides, really miss your corresponding story-telling but don't expect you to continue it...)

Last edited:
I’ve been lurking this thread and taking part in the November and soon December GRUMEs to train for the 2021 Sabbatical.

I’m a GRUME/Sabbatical newbie pissant that absolutely wants and plans to take part in 2021.

I have much respect to you all that made it 11 months and 1/12 more respect for those of you that make it through 12/31.

I’ve been lurking this thread and taking part in the November and soon December GRUMEs to train for the 2021 Sabbatical.

I’m a GRUME/Sabbatical newbie pissant that absolutely wants and plans to take part in 2021.

I have much respect to you all that made it 11 months and 1/12 more respect for those of you that make it through 12/31.
Welcome to the club.
I guess we will post the link to the 2021 sabbacital thread here so stay tuned with us.

Besides it turned out to be way easier to avoid buying related temptations as thought.. got tempted only once when a mint Gillette Aristocrat showed up on a local auction plattform. Cased. 25 Euro shipped. It was sold in a minute. I was too late.
Subsequently I just stopped looking...
In addition I did withdraw from all shaving related email newsletters as well...

Welcome to the club.
I guess we will post the link to the 2021 sabbacital thread here so stay tuned with us.

Besides it turned out to be way easier to avoid buying related temptations as thought.. got tempted only once when a mint Gillette Aristocrat showed up on a local auction plattform. Cased. 25 Euro shipped. It was sold in a minute. I was too late.
Subsequently I just stopped looking...
In addition I did withdraw from all shaving related email newsletters as well...

Thanks a million for the early welcome. I’m looking forward to challenging myself with like minded folks. Frankly the November GRUME was way harder then I thought it would be but I’m confident I’ll make it now. I’m 99% sure I’ll make it through December since I’ve already gone through the delirium tremors. Black Friday was a scramble for me to unsubscribe from emails and texts. At least I don’t have any white whales I’ve been looking to buy.

Thanks a million for the early welcome. I’m looking forward to challenging myself with like minded folks. Frankly the November GRUME was way harder then I thought it would be but I’m confident I’ll make it now. I’m 99% sure I’ll make it through December since I’ve already gone through the delirium tremors. Black Friday was a scramble for me to unsubscribe from emails and texts. At least I don’t have any white whales I’ve been looking to buy.
Indeed, I guess you are the one who reserves the respect from our end. It appears really tough to me to start a sabbatical phase in November...

SOTD (219/2020)
30-11-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201130_000316-01.jpeg

Brush: WestCoastShaving Two Tone Tall Synthetic 26/56
Soap: Wickham Soap 1912 ~ Classic 24
Razor: Gillette Fat Boy
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome (5)
Postshave: frigid tap water.

JAHE - still in

#45 Still in. Worst razor burn in years yesterday. Very rarely use shaving cream and started with AOS Peppermint a couple of days ago. Shaved with a MMOC single edge that I have used with good results in the past and used a new blade. Thinking I need to use a lot more water in the lather. Went back to a Tech and PDP 63 today to give things a chance to calm down.

#45 Still in. Worst razor burn in years yesterday. Very rarely use shaving cream and started with AOS Peppermint a couple of days ago. Shaved with a MMOC single edge that I have used with good results in the past and used a new blade. Thinking I need to use a lot more water in the lather. Went back to a Tech and PDP 63 today to give things a chance to calm down.
Man I’m sorry. That sucks. Same thing happened to me recently. I transitioned from my Karve to my R41 and put the wrong razor blade in it. It was uncomfortable. I actually went back to the den and threw on a slash followed by a balm to calm it down.

SOTD (220/2020)
01-12-2020

>> Shave Roulette <<
20201130_195921-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2-band badger
Soap: MWF
Razor: Gillette New Long Comb
Blade: Shark Platinum (3)
Postshave: frigid tap water, SV Stella Alpina AS (sample).

JAHE - still in

Last edited:
Top Bottom