What's new

2020 Shave Purchase Sabbatical - Those Daring Men with their Jaunty Razors & Jalopies

After a lengthy stretch I am happy to report that I had my first kill of the year. I finished the tub of Stirling Sharp Dressed Man I have been 3017ing since January 1st (It started with somewhere between 10-30 shaves out of it from earlier). I now find myself in the awkwardly novel place of having to make a decision on which soap and aftershave to use tomorrow... How daunting.

After a lengthy stretch I am happy to report that I had my first kill of the year. I finished the tub of Stirling Sharp Dressed Man I have been 3017ing since January 1st (It started with somewhere between 10-30 shaves out of it from earlier). I now find myself in the awkwardly novel place of having to make a decision on which soap and aftershave to use tomorrow... How daunting.
Wow. 8 months to finish one tub. How often do you shave per week?

Wow. 8 months to finish one tub. How often do you shave per week?

Through the middle of March I was shaving daily. After that I got terrible for a bit (maybe 2-4 times a week) and from mid-end of April I have probably been averaging 4-5 shaves a week. I stopped tracking my shaves after Mid-March so am making those numbers up quite a bit.

It just kept on going though...

This is a picture I took with a potato of the soap after a month of use compared with a new tub of Stirling. At the time I had forgotten the uses in years prior when I said it was 30 shaves in, that's probably closer to 50.
1597262938039.png

Through the middle of March I was shaving daily. After that I got terrible for a bit (maybe 2-4 times a week) and from mid-end of April I have probably been averaging 4-5 shaves a week. I stopped tracking my shaves after Mid-March so am making those numbers up quite a bit.

It just kept on going though...

This is a picture I took with a potato of the soap after a month of use compared with a new tub of Stirling. At the time I had forgotten the uses in years prior when I said it was 30 shaves in, that's probably closer to 50.

If I am not mistaken this sums up to roundabout 225 shaves. That is impressive... and it frankly gives me reason to reconsider if I just should sell some of my unused Stirling Soap replacement (!) tubs...

SOTD (# 147/2020)
13-08-2020
20200813_131322-01.jpeg

Preshave: cold water
Brush: Semogue 830
Soap: Wickham Soap 1912 ~ Classic 24
Razor: Razorock German Slant
Blade: Gillette 7'clock Super Platinum (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Fine Platinum AS, Nivea post shave balm.

JAHE - still in.

Hi,

I make up an Old Spice mug with half and half vintage tallow and modern glycerine. I face lather and shave daily. And, a mug of the mix lasts several years. I last made one beginning of 2014 and it has at least another year left before I use it up. A couple years back, during the restock period, I picked up another puck of the glycerine (I have plenty of the tallow already) and filled up two more OS mugs - for later.

I am always amazed at how fast most folks go thru soaps.

Stan

If I am not mistaken this sums up to roundabout 225 shaves. That is impressive... and it frankly gives me reason to reconsider if I just should sell some of my unused Stirling Soap replacement (!) tubs...

225 sounds high (my numbers above were super rough), I would put it in the 150-200 range, but still a lot of high quality shaves.

I decided to go with Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber since it is the soap I have used the most of still in my collection. I am hoping I can get a relatively quick kill on it. I forgot how much I like the scent and performance of this soap. It is just easy for me to lather and get a good shave with.

SOTD (# 147/2020)
14-08-2020
20200814_062956-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap: MWF
Razor: Gillette Fatboy (setting 5)
Blade: Gillette yellow 7'clock Sharp Edge (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Nivea post shave balm

JAHE - still in...

Good to see some people still in. I didn't sign up this year, but have not made any shaving purchases. I keep looking at the boxes of blades in the medicine cabinet and the pile of soap, completely untouched, on the bath shelves and figure I can spend money on something else.

I'm not sure I've finished anything off this year soap-wise, I found some more of my first sandalwood in the bathroom drawers and have been using that and the lilac mix it's sitting on in the bowl, but it's still there after a few months. Currently using Arko for Arko August, but I won't finish that either, it's just under 1/3 gone after three years of a month of use, so will be around for next year and the year after as well!

I finished off a travel tub of Proraso Green this week. It once again reminded me how long soaps last--that travel tub probably gave me 90 - 100 shaves. Next up is a Captains Choice cream, which will likely go pretty fast. After that, I'll try to 3017 another soap--but my goal of knocking out 2 more this year doesn't seem possible.

Still out!

225 sounds high (my numbers above were super rough), I would put it in the 150-200 range, but still a lot of high quality shaves.

I decided to go with Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber since it is the soap I have used the most of still in my collection. I am hoping I can get a relatively quick kill on it. I forgot how much I like the scent and performance of this soap. It is just easy for me to lather and get a good shave with.
I get 30-35 shaves from a Stirling sample so 150-200 sounds doable. I've never come close to 3017'ing a full Stirling jar though.

During the sabbatical I've tried to keep only a few soaps in use at a time. It might be time to bring a new rotation in of only Stirlings to see if I can put a dent in a few before January.

I get 30-35 shaves from a Stirling sample so 150-200 sounds doable. I've never come close to 3017'ing a full Stirling jar though.

During the sabbatical I've tried to keep only a few soaps in use at a time. It might be time to bring a new rotation in of only Stirlings to see if I can put a dent in a few before January.

The thing that surprised me the most of how long the balm lasted. I'm normally an as splash kinda guy, but wanted to see if I liked a balm. I got it at the same time as the soap, used them together every time, and still have maybe 20% left. When I received it I thought I would run out halfway through.

I've enjoyed Stirling and the shaves only got better as I got more familiar with it.

Enjoy your shaves

SOTD (# 149/2020)
16-08-2020
20200815_195321-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue 1460
Soap: Stirling Soap ~ Sharp Dressed Man
Razor: Mühle R41
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (1)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Majestät AS, Nivea post shave balm

JAHE - still in...

SOTD (# 150/2020)
17-08-2020
20200816_111108-01-01.jpeg

Brush: Semogue Owners Club 2-band badger
Soap: Razorock ~ The Dead Sea
Razor: Mühle R94 Rocca V4
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Germany (2)
Postshave: frigid tap water, Nivea post shave balm

150 shaves are in the books.
And guess what: I'm still in...
JAHE

I'm out. An absolutely dumb thing did it. Last week was Shark week and I had the dumb idea of ending it with a Shark Chrome in my Assured TTO ( the little Dollar Tree $1 DE razor ). At some point, I realized I had actually chucked all 3 of the ones I owned ( probably in the spirit of joining the Sabbatical earlier this year where I did a little purge ) so I finished Shark week with the blade in my Slim TTO razor instead.

Fast forward to today and I'm in Dollar Tree picking up cleaning stuff and see the Assured TTO and just reached down and picked it up because it's a $1 and I'm not thinking.

I almost didn't report myself but that is not the behavior of a Gentleman. I'm going to leave it in its packaging ( because honestly who really likes the actual razor much for actual use it's way more about shaving with a questionable razor in the first place ) until the end of the year and attempt to complete this with you guys in spirit at least.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I'm out. An absolutely dumb thing did it. Last week was Shark week and I had the dumb idea of ending it with a Shark Chrome in my Assured TTO ( the little Dollar Tree $1 DE razor ). At some point, I realized I had actually chucked all 3 of the ones I owned ( probably in the spirit of joining the Sabbatical earlier this year where I did a little purge ) so I finished Shark week with the blade in my Slim TTO razor instead.

Fast forward to today and I'm in Dollar Tree picking up cleaning stuff and see the Assured TTO and just reached down and picked it up because it's a $1 and I'm not thinking.

I almost didn't report myself but that is not the behavior of a Gentleman. I'm going to leave it in its packaging ( because honestly who really likes the actual razor much for actual use it's way more about shaving with a questionable razor in the first place ) until the end of the year and attempt to complete this with you guys in spirit at least.
Have you seen if you are able to return it?

Top Bottom