What's new

2020 Rocnel Sailor adjustable razor production model

Here's another thought as to a possible cause of the rocnel greater propensity to suffer surface damage when inflicted with impact on a hard surface. From my rather dim recollection of high school physics force is the result of mass x the square of acceleration it stands to reason then that if mass is increased by for example twice then be overall force that is inflicted on the object should also be twice as much. The sailor 2020 is literally almost twice as heavy as most other razors - even other stainless steel razors. Perhaps that is another explanation?

Here's another thought as to a possible cause of the rocnel greater propensity to suffer surface damage when inflicted with impact on a hard surface. From my rather dim recollection of high school physics force is the result of mass x the square of acceleration it stands to reason then that if mass is increased by for example twice then be overall force that is inflicted on the object should also be twice as much. The sailor 2020 is literally almost twice as heavy as most other razors - even other stainless steel razors. Perhaps that is another explanation?
Makes sense. The mass of the 2020 Sailor head might just take the faucet off.

My photo quandary came with the fact the worst gouge was on the underside of bottom plate. I'm curious how that is possible. It obviously happened, I just can't figure out how on the SE.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

During the discourse, I failed to ask the obvious. How? Exactly how did you manage to mar the SE like that.
The SE-P pictures are the ones I mentioned seeing in a BST post.

With a Rocnel Sailor 2020 at height, sure. In my case it was a Rocnel Elite (2017) base plate, dropped about 30cm onto the PVC edging of a table. At that weight (base plate), height and surface material (edging), the degree of resulting damage was definitely abnormal.

Look, at this point I feel like it's starting to sound like I have an axe to grind. I don't. I'm just stating a concern with the material, which I think should be part of the discussion and not be overlooked. So maybe people can take this as a heads-up to handle Rocnel razors with a degree of care that goes beyond what you'd expect for a stainless steel razor but commensurate with a work of art or rare jewelry ... with some Rocnel razors it almost seems disrespectful to call them tools. On the topic of material, I'll shut up now.

No doubt that Rocnel has proven across a number of razor models that it is like the Tesla of the wet shaving industry and thus makes a huge intangible contribution beyond just selling razors, and it wouldn't surprise me if we saw some of those concepts replicated by other razor makers in the future. (While the website has changed for the better, dude really should have a gallery of old designs.)

The SE-P pictures are the ones I mentioned seeing in a BST post.

With a Rocnel Sailor 2020 at height, sure. In my case it was a Rocnel Elite (2017) base plate, dropped about 30cm onto the PVC edging of a table. At that weight (base plate), height and surface material (edging), the degree of resulting damage was definitely abnormal.

Look, at this point I feel like it's starting to sound like I have an axe to grind. I don't. I'm just stating a concern with the material, which I think should be part of the discussion and not be overlooked. So maybe people can take this as a heads-up to handle Rocnel razors with a degree of care that goes beyond what you'd expect for a stainless steel razor but commensurate with a work of art or rare jewelry ... with some Rocnel razors it almost seems disrespectful to call them tools. On the topic of material, I'll shut up now.

No doubt that Rocnel has proven across a number of razor models that it is like the Tesla of the wet shaving industry and thus makes a huge intangible contribution beyond just selling razors, and it wouldn't surprise me if we saw some of those concepts replicated by other razor makers in the future. (While the website has changed for the better, dude really should have a gallery of old designs.)

By all means please continue to interact on your points. It is legitimate for you to raise your views and personal experience and you shouldn't have to feel that you are not being nice to point it out. I too was surprised when my own sailor got a tiny nick when the handle fell on the cap.

My only point was that there are other possible explanations other than a different steel being used. Perhaps Murat should post to explain his perspective as the maker of the razor.

Even with such a painful damage to my Rocnel Sailor, I can actually still say I am quite lucky.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but at the end of the day I do in fact hold myself accountable for my actions or rather mis-actions.

I think it's extremely hard to be in Murat's position. He is a man that strives for excellence, this shows in the products he makes, and the service he offers. We as clients identify with that and naturally gravitate towards the same values.

After a couple of months of feeling down, there is hope. Whether the metal in question is harder or softer, it really doesn't matter, because Murat is there for me. I told him about my situation and he offered to give me a replacement top cap on the next batch of release. He never said how much, and was probably implying that it was on the house. Now that is customer service. Of course I don't feel completely right taking a part for free, so I told him to just bill me once he sends out the top cap.

For him, it's tough because he has to make a judgement call on which metals to use. At the end of the day, even if it's a softer metal, if for longevity sakes it does make perfect sense to choose one that would offer more corrosion resistance.

We're in a bit of a rare circle as Rocnel owners. It's a privilege to be able to enjoy these razors that are absolute works of art, just pure masterpieces, right gentleman? 🍻
View attachment 1217720
It is undoubtedly a unique design and an absolutely gorgeous razor. Thanks for sharing as that is impressive customer service by the manufacturer.

I own the SE in both SB and OC. Many metals "work harden" to some extent. I.e., the process of being milled/hammered/etc., results in molecular changes that harden the metal. This is why vintage unannealed brass Gillette (and other) handles split. 300 series stainless work hardens, so there are a limited number of ways to increase its hardness. Shot-peening is one.

Here's a good read:
Hardening stainless steel

I know that I can easily damage my 1917 Bulldog. I do my best to be careful.

Murat goes above & beyond, and delivers an excellent product.

I read some reviews for this razor from people who's opinion I hold in high regard (they seem to have a similar taste in razors) and decided to contact Murat for a order. Had to wait a week or two as they where being assembled at that moment. Very good communication with the maker I must say.

Took less then 48 hours from Turkey to Belgium. Beautiful package, best I have seen so far. I owned the Sailor gold ring first gen but this is certainly a big improvement.

Until now never found a adjustable that I really liked a lot and I've tried many. Visually it's a jewel (although a lot of my shaving friends find it over the top and ugly because of it's massiveness and weight).

The balance is good (much better than a Pils for instance), it's heavy and massive but I had no problem in areas like under the nose and such. Started at stand 1 and upped that every next shave, I kept the stand the same during the whole 3 pass shave during the test phase.

Since I've gone thru all stands up to twice around the dot, for me all stands are useable although for me personally stands 2 up to 6 will be the most used. Still experimenting what gives the best result, going up thru the settings after each pass or going down.

Only once did I draw a little bit of blood on stand 8, with the big opening the corner of the Feather blade hooked my earlobe a bit.

The Sailor 2020 will get a place among my favourite razors (Paradigm, Raw shaving, Blackland, ....). Like several others I would love a Titanium version. The high price is already forgotten because the pleasure I get out of it.

IMG_3764.jpeg

I read some reviews for this razor from people who's opinion I hold in high regard (they seem to have a similar taste in razors) and decided to contact Murat for a order. Had to wait a week or two as they where being assembled at that moment. Very good communication with the maker I must say.

Took less then 48 hours from Turkey to Belgium. Beautiful package, best I have seen so far. I owned the Sailor gold ring first gen but this is certainly a big improvement.

Until now never found a adjustable that I really liked a lot and I've tried many. Visually it's a jewel (although a lot of my shaving friends find it over the top and ugly because of it's massiveness and weight).

The balance is good (much better than a Pils for instance), it's heavy and massive but I had no problem in areas like under the nose and such. Started at stand 1 and upped that every next shave, I kept the stand the same during the whole 3 pass shave during the test phase.

Since I've gone thru all stands up to twice around the dot, for me all stands are useable although for me personally stands 2 up to 6 will be the most used. Still experimenting what gives the best result, going up thru the settings after each pass or going down.

Only once did I draw a little bit of blood on stand 8, with the big opening the corner of the Feather blade hooked my earlobe a bit.

The Sailor 2020 will get a place among my favourite razors (Paradigm, Raw shaving, Blackland, ....). Like several others I would love a Titanium version. The high price is already forgotten because the pleasure I get out of it.

View attachment 1236905
Great report. Thanks for taking the time. Your experience mirrors mine except I've cut myself a few more times. :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

View attachment 1236905
It's really hard to pull away from the Sailor. Like many here, I have a few nice offerings, but none of them really compare. From the packaging and unboxing experience, to the actual shave experience and post cleanup/polishing, nothing beats the Rocnel. It's on a class of it's own.

Yes, I do agree that it has that fine jewelry aura, the fit and finish is akin to a priceless museum display piece.

I have with more than one occasion, stopped shaving midway with my other razors only to load up the Sailor and finish the shave. It's monstrous in efficiency, and it's that good.

My latest adventure has been using it with a Kai blade, you know for laughs and giggles. Reminds me of the first time with the razor again, and takes it up a notch. I actually have to use a lighter touch now, it's really thrilling.

It's really hard to pull away from the Sailor. Like many here, I have a few nice offerings, but none of them really compare. From the packaging and unboxing experience, to the actual shave experience and post cleanup/polishing, nothing beats the Rocnel. It's on a class of it's own.

Yes, I do agree that it has that fine jewelry aura, the fit and finish is akin to a priceless museum display piece.

I have with more than one occasion, stopped shaving midway with my other razors only to load up the Sailor and finish the shave. It's monstrous in efficiency, and it's that good.

My latest adventure has been using it with a Kai blade, you know for laughs and giggles. Reminds me of the first time with the razor again, and takes it up a notch. I actually have to use a lighter touch now, it's really thrilling.
She is certainly a unique and beautiful razor!

What is the big difference between the 2019 model and 2020 model, making the price much higher?

Good question. Other than providing a much better shave experience, I have no idea. The 2020 is worth every penny tho, considering what it can do/replace. YMMV and all.

There are lots of aesthetic changes. Different knurling being primary. Gold accents and 3d engraving others.

There are significant geometry changes making the 2020 just as efficient but much smoother with less blade feel. The 2020, for me, is like and adjustable Wolfman WR2. The 2019 more akin to an adjustable WR1 but with ability to be opened up well beyond the largest gap WR1 (.94mm) James offers.

The $250 difference in MSRP, I can't explain. If you like blade feel, save the cash and get the 2019. It can cut just as close as the 2020, it's lighter, and easier to maneuver as well. If you prefer muted blade feel and smoother, you need the 2020.

I'm just guessing, but the 2021 head geometry looks much closer to the 2019. I think the blade feel the 2017/2019 Sailors have is coming back. Looking forward to finding out.

Thanks Loot, I also found the 2020 a nicer shaver although I like razors with blade feel. I'll let you take one first before ordering the 2021 model (or if we get really lucky the Ti) :c2:

Ha! Thank you, sir. I have been camping out at the Rocnel store since he announced the 2021 waiting for Murat to let me in!

The Ti model in the 2020 head is my grail. That one would be perfect.

It's not the gold plated version.

But it's a 2021. Lighter and slimmer head than the 2020 version. Only had 1 shave so far so getting used to it.

Attachments

• 20210604_110245.jpg
    20210604_110245.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 35
  • 20210604_110433.jpg
    20210604_110433.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
Top Bottom